FS-i6s, Jumper T16, FRsky X-lite

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - well the good news is the bad boy (T16) is up and running again - I reformatted the SD card and reloaded the backup SD contents onto the card without using the OTX companion - at first I still had the 'key stuck' error on screen, so I replugged the external module on a whim and 'booyah' it worked again - now I am thinking the instructions from Jumper to check the ribbon cables (at that point I had the external module removed) was giving me the 'key stuck' error - it is great to be running again, but it does not explain the original 'key stuck' error - now I need to see if I can use the companion to reinstate my programmed models!

EDIT - companion works fine and my programmed models from after the backup have been reinstated easily! :D

In one sense that is why I like my basic FlySky TH9X , like I said before I love technology but it is so unreliable it stinks . Glad it is working again.

Tonero311

Can the Jumper T16 and FlySky FS-i6X buddy box by chance? Looking at getting a T16 and passing the i6X onto my son/dad so they can get a chance to fly safely.

Tonero311

@Tonero311 - should be no problem - using the i6 as a slave on PPM will certainly work - I have a i6s so I will try it!

At the start of this thread I joined the i6s (2.4 GHz) to my JR X378 (FM TX)!

Cheers @bracesport. Dad used to have an old ethanol powered plane years ago before I was born. Going to try and pry a bit to find out what it was and maybe build it for him in FB again. Just wanted a way to buddy box incase he's not confident flying again after a 35ish year gap. The Jumper T16 has caught my attention as a very good upgrade from an i6X.
Think that maybe be a gift sorted for my Dad.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Tonero311 - I will have a crack at the buddy connection over the weekend and post here!

I am not so young myself and got back into the hobby recently - I love the building and the flying (not enough flying)!

Phil

bracesport

Legendary member
This is more a note to self, but I did want let anyone know that if you get a FRsky G-RX8 that channels 7 and 8 are not setup out of the box - I bought two of them and both are bound with the T16 - one was working with 8ch and one was only working with 6ch - with some research I found that if the light when bound is green that 8ch is working, but if there is a green and blue lights together that 6ch is enabled - putting the bind plug across the signal pins for ch1 and ch2 and rebinding the Rx sorts it all out!

I also note that if the Rx battery gets a bit low the servos play up a bit, so I need to check and set up some battery warnings!

bracesport

Legendary member
I am a nube and these are my 'nube' settings - If these work in the air, I will move forward from there to add OTX complexity!

My setups are pretty simple as most only have ailerons and elevators with the throttle setup for flaps - I also have one full house glider setup with flaps so I will get to test out the crow - if you use a prop, then you can move the flaps/brakes to a 3 position switch)!

For my simple ships (bank and yank)

For the inputs, I reduced everything to single inputs - for mixing I made more higher channels controlling snap flaps, reflex/camber, and flaps/brakes to reduce double-ups in the mixing. I have three flight modes, and I have Expo on the inputs with a GV that varies with flight modes - the Dif is also a GV but added at the mixing level. I use curves for the snap flaps, flaps, and elevator compensation.

The flight mode image is an example of the mid rates including Expo and Dif.

The logical switches are controlling the voice for flaps/brakes on and off based on the throttle stick position.

if anyone is interested I can share you the .otx files and you can load them into your companion - mixing might change a bit if you need to reverse servos, but this is just a +/- thing in the mixing!

Phil

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

bracesport

Legendary member
I am certainly on an exciting learning curve with this, and sharing these setups with some experts bought about some more changes - principally the issue is with trimming.

As I currently have it set up, the aileron trims will be affected by the global variable GV3 in my flight modes - The primary purpose of flight modes is to switch between different trim values, and since altering aileron rates won't affect any trims, I need to avoid using flight modes for these - instead, I need to control the rates directly via a switch in the Inputs - essentially to hard code them.

In contrast, it seems my reflex/camber changes will affect pitch trim, and there are currently no flight modes for these, so I need to define three flight modes: reflex (FM1,SB-down ='speed'), camber (FM2,SB-up='thermal') with default (FM0) of 'normal'. Then in CH12, take out the switch as the controller and instead check the relevant flight mode boxes in the mixer editor. Trims are flight-mode aware by default which is what we want, so I can also make each FM independently trimmed.

There was also a suggestion to activate the snap-flap automatically according to flight modes, by checking one or more flight mode checkboxes in CH10.

Time to reprocess my setup!

In setting up my DLG I have been using snap flaps, and here is a great video for why!

bracesport

Legendary member
here is what I have now - at this point, I have removed all global variables and hardcoded the rates/expo/diff - the reflex/camber/snapFlaps are all flight mode aware, and I have retained a master switch for snap flaps on/off - the flaps are working in iall flight modes.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

bracesport

Legendary member
Yikes - some more feedback.

It is suggested I set the elevator trims to 'own value' for each flight mode (in the Flight Modes menu) since elevator trim is likely to change as you switch from normal to thermal to speed. Also, I need to look at bundling the references to CH10, CH12 and CH14 into a single 'all camber' high channel and cascade them down to the low channels - that would save a mix, and provide a single adjustment point if changes were needed.

'A sign of a good setup is where every setting has a single adjustment point, and where you never need to enter the mixers menu to make adjustments as it's very easy to make an error. Both goals can be achieved by binding critical mixer adjustments to GVARs or spare controls like the T5 and T6 adjusters on the T16. These are particularly useful for snap-flap and camber adjustment as they are flight mode aware.'

On to round three! :D

Wildthing

Legendary member
Yikes - some more feedback.

It is suggested I set the elevator trims to 'own value' for each flight mode (in the Flight Modes menu) since elevator trim is likely to change as you switch from normal to thermal to speed. Also, I need to look at bundling the references to CH10, CH12 and CH14 into a single 'all camber' high channel and cascade them down to the low channels - that would save a mix, and provide a single adjustment point if changes were needed.

'A sign of a good setup is where every setting has a single adjustment point, and where you never need to enter the mixers menu to make adjustments as it's very easy to make an error. Both goals can be achieved by binding critical mixer adjustments to GVARs or spare controls like the T5 and T6 adjusters on the T16. These are particularly useful for snap-flap and camber adjustment as they are flight mode aware.'

On to round three! :D

LOL, once you get this all figured out with a download file plus printed instructions (lifetime support) I may think about getting one of those Jumper radios.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - it is an awesome radio - the new version has the hall sensor sticks and an internal multiprotocol module which allows you to put another external module for GPS flying - for the same price I paid! actually the programming is easy, but the right programming is the challenge - there are so many ways to skin the cat or peel the onion - I would love to have a sharing buddy for some OTX files! :D

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - it is an awesome radio - the new version has the hall sensor sticks and an internal multiprotocol module which allows you to put another external module for GPS flying - for the same price I paid! actually the programming is easy, but the right programming is the challenge - there are so many ways to skin the cat or peel the onion - I would love to have a sharing buddy for some OTX files! :D
One of the guys at our club has one, not sure how long ago he got it but it is with the internal module. He had a few headaches at the beginning, I guess you couldn't program through the external port you had to take the radio apart and get a special usb adapter and I think something like a bootlog wasn't in it. He got it all working but it wasn't headache free.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Some of the T-16`s the bootloader is not installed on the internal module that is the reason to make up a USB adapter IF the bootloader is not there it will not load from a SD card once done then all changes can be done with SD card.
That's what he said to me, :) . I believe they changed that right after a few complaints, I think another that I remember was not having a charging port, does yours Phil?

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - sadly no charging port - I use the two fat rechargeables in the supplied battery box, though it seems like there are heaps of hacks to make it rechargeable. For now, that is not such a biggie!

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - sadly no charging port - I use the two fat rechargeables in the supplied battery box, though it seems like there are heaps of hacks to make it rechargeable. For now, that is not such a biggie!
Really adding a charging port wouldn't be that hard or just have an extra set of batteries already charged up.