FS-i6s, Jumper T16, FRsky X-lite

bracesport

Legendary member
I added a small momentary switch to the T16 using one of the spare switch pads (I used SJ) - the process to solder in the wires took some nerves as it is all a bit teeny tiny - nevertheless it all works and I now have a proper launch mode switch for the DLG - I like the small switch as you can either rock it or push it to engage!

Attachments

• IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2059.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
I added a small momentary switch to the T16 using one of the spare switch pads (I used SJ) - the process to solder in the wires took some nerves as it is all a bit teeny tiny - nevertheless it all works and I now have a proper launch mode switch for the DLG - I like the small switch as you can either rock it or push it to engage!
So is it a totally new programed in switch or did you replace a factory one?

bracesport

Legendary member
@Wildthing - there are two spare switch inputs on the board - then in the hardware section on the Tx in the systems tab there is SI and SJ switches that you can activate (you can see it here on the simulator).

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 8.24.57 AM.png

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
well, I got rather excited and ordered a new Tx (jumper T16 with open TX) - I think I will expand this thread to include my experience with both kits!

Firstly, I am a novice pilot and I really like the i6s, it is affordable, and works ultra smoothly with the AFHDS 2 receivers - the overall design and the touch screen has real appeal - unless the firmware gets upgraded again, the downside can only be the 4mix limit (and possibly the lack of trim switches) - I have mixed flaps with my ailerons (flaperons) which has covered most of my needs - I am sure I could programme a V-tail mix, and a flaperon mix if I use all four available mixes! The batteries last for ages (I use rechargeables). I am hoping my son will fly at some stage, so I will keep using the i6s and figure out how to trainer it to the T16 at some stage! :p

Why did I go for the Jumper? I have only been on the forum for a wee while, but in the first instance, I have not heard a bad word from the open TX users that I admire - I currently have no prebuild mixes on the i6s so learning to programme is not so frightening (rather exciting actually) - for a ship with split ailerons/flaps and crow, this rig will certainly come into its own - the design looks marvellous and the large format colour screen is a drawcard - it is early days on the binding flexibility as I am only using the FS gear, but who knows down the line! :D

View attachment 136587 View attachment 136588
I Would have gone for the Radiomaster myself, given the choice its a much better radio with same functionality. I've had one for over 2 years now brilliant radio can't fault it. One draw back with the Jumper you cannot charge the battery in situ, but can with the Radiomaster. There where a number of build issues associated with the early Jumpers, which I hope for your sake have now been resolved. Radiomaster was formed by Jumper employees who left and set up their own company, the TX16s evolved and resolved all the previous issues with the Jumper T16.
In fact the Jumper T18 would have definitely a better buy than the T16, it was far better build which resolved there original teething problems.
I would agree that Open Tx software and multi protocol transmitters are an excellent entry point into the hobby for anyone just starting off and eventually I see them becoming ever more popular among seasoned fliers.
(Just don't let the Spektrum boy's know I said that as they easily get upset).

bracesport

Legendary member
I bought a very early Jumper T16 and I have had no issues with it (touch wood) - It was a great entry point into the wonderful world of Open TX - it is no drama to charge the batteries, and I keep a second set charged in the box!

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
The Jumper T16 was going to be my first Open Tx transmitter, although I had considered a Taranis for a while. However, at that time they where like rocking horse droppings, very rare. They became increasingly harder to get hold of when FRsky threatened suppliers, if the sold Jumper transmitters they would with-hold their products. This meant the only place to buy them was directly from China, this incurred more postage costs and again they where in limited quantities.
I waited to see if stocks of the T16 would improve, then suddenly Radiomaster released the TX16s which was very similar in appearance and function. I watched the reviews on You Tube and the Radiomaster was coming out extremely favorable, particularly as there had been some issues with the T16s i.e. ribbon cables and connections. Once the TX16s became available at Banggood I placed an order immediately for one, it took 5 weeks to eventually arrive, but it was worth the wait.
For the last 2 years its been my transmitter of choice and the only issue I have had, is having to re-calibrate the Hall Effect gimbals on a regular basis due to a small amount of temperature related drift.
I currently have virtually all of my planes now saved in the Radiomaster and I continue adding more every month, as I finish another build. As more people take the plunge and buy an Open Tx radio these transmitters will become a big player in the RC world, due to the flexibility and functionality they offer. I operate receivers with 6 different protocols on this transmitter and every one of them has passed the range test with flying colours and not once have I ever experienced a loss of signal with any of them.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I am adding the FR-sky X-lite and x-lite PRO to the stable soon - I am very excited especially for the DLG flying - as some of you know I love the Open TX platform so the X-lite will feed into that well - with the DLG launches a smaller Tx will be great - I will post some updates when they arrive!

bracesport

Legendary member
While I wait I have been setting up the X-lite on companion - I sucked in my current models from the T16 and hit the convert button - the errors are all 'essentially' related to switch mapping so I set about fixing those with less switches available on the X-lite.

The X'lite (basic) has 2x three position switches, 2x two position switches, and 2x rotary knobs to work with - the PRO version has 2x momentary buttons as extras - my X-lite's have been modified to replace 1x two position switch with a momentary switch for DLG launches.

I use some behind the scenes logical switches and special functions on the T16 which I have carried over to the X-lite - this gives me a basic program without Rates and without DLG launch modes (a simple Tx) - to activate these modes I use the ail/ele stick in combination with the momentary SW to trigger their functionality (works well) - Expo is adjusted in the Global Variables as there are not enough switches (I may use the Throttle Trim at some stage to adj the Expo, but I will see how the TX feels first).

In DLG mode the momentary switch (launch mode) also triggers and resets the timer - if I am not using the launch mode the momentary SW still triggers and resets the timer.

Rates are primarily used for slope soaring, but recently I have used them on my DLG to calm it down.

Switches
- flight modes (3pSW) speed, cruise, thermal
- rates (3pSW) high, medium, low
- launch mode (momentarySW) rotate, zoom
- snap flaps (2pSW) on, off
Knobs
- camber adj
- Dif adj

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
I must say the x-lite is a great TX - I love it actually - just need to bind some RX's then give it a whirl - the throttle stick is a tad stiffer than I am used to so I guess I need to do some tweaks - the X-lite Pro was easy as it is quite new, so it was a case of twiddling the adjuster screws to gets the throttle tension right (tick) - binding went well (tick) - one done.

The X-lite standard is pretty well used and needs a bit more attention - the on/off button is stuck - the joy stick does not work in the top position - the throttle stick springs back at the bottom - one switch is missing.

First I checked it runs and works with the latest OTX 2.3.14 (tick) - I tore it down and first fixed the throttle stick - the spring bar for the throttle position tension was bent so I swapped it for the Ail/Ele bar which is not used (tick) - I replaced the switch with some spare parts that came with the gear - the switch hole had been enlarged so I will 3D print a spacer (tick) - to sort the on/off switch and joy stick I tore the electronics down further - the main board was not aligned properly so the on/off switch was binding - proper alignment sorted that (tick) - the joystick was working correctly, but again the alignment was causing the top position to foul - it it partly reassembled now and I hope this last feature will be OK when completely reassembled (tentative tick)!

I am amazed at what can be achieved with some care!

boogieloo

Are those the same type of receiver Flite Test are using? I know the receivers are paired. So they override any settings and go with the one just about to be paired, the receiver number 2 or x amount. Channels.

bracesport

Legendary member
Please explain your question a bit more?

Are those the same type of receiver Flite Test are using? I know the receivers are paired. So they override any settings and go with the one just about to be paired, the receiver number 2 or x amount. Channels.

bracesport

Legendary member
I thought I would make a quick video to show how I use my X-lite PRO for DLG - as it does not have a huge number of buttons we can get creative with OPEN TX.

bracesport

Legendary member
I made some tweaks to my programming - it is essentially some further dumbing down of the basic 'go fly' mode and then using the right stick to introduce four options for increased functionality - the calibration mode is now triggered from the left stick.

bracesport

Legendary member
Does anyone know if these can be used on a modern(ish) FRSky radio - X-lite / X9E, or even a Jumper T16?

TFR8S
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 6.48.45 PM.png