FT 2021 Micro/EZ Build Off

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Tiny Twister finished and flown.
20210528_211947.jpg

Jade_Monkey07

I'm going to withdraw the highwinder. It's just not stable enough for anything worthwhile. I'll keep at it and maybe I'll get it working someday. But Im frustrated with it and its stagger wing for the time being.

GrizWiz

Elite member
I'm going to withdraw the highwinder. It's just not stable enough for anything worthwhile. I'll keep at it and maybe I'll get it working someday. But Im frustrated with it and its stagger wing for the time being.
Ok thanks for letting me know, judging will start tomorrow but again the date can be moved back if you want more time

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Almost done with wiring

View attachment 198303
Got a little footage of mine, need to get a good flight recorded and put up but I've been busier than a rented mule this summer!

Hondo I was interested in what you were putting down over there... was the a micro Rx's Motor wire Going to an 4-in-1 brushed ESC Board then out to the motors? How'd the flight go? ever get the video together? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Hondo I was interested in what you were putting down over there... was the a micro Rx's Motor wire Going to an 4-in-1 brushed ESC Board then out to the motors? How'd the flight go? ever get the video together? Inquiring minds want to know.
Micro reciever, 4 separate micro escs...
20210821_092603.jpg

Too much weight so shes down to only two motors now though:
20210830_200237.jpg

Ive got her flying decent but getting the right amount of diff thrust to initiate a turn without over banking is turning out to be somewhat difficult.

Going to get painted this week and try it on the water for my video, sink or swim! Lol

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Micro reciever, 4 separate micro escs...
View attachment 206302

Too much weight so shes down to only two motors now though:
View attachment 206301

Ive got her flying decent but getting the right amount of diff thrust to initiate a turn without over banking is turning out to be somewhat difficult.

Going to get painted this week and try it on the water for my video, sink or swim! Lol
Good Luck This Project looks great and I love it. I wonder if you did an unpapered version using FoamTac or some such. might you get it light enough. (1/3 of the plane's Foam weight to 1 side of paper.

FoamyDM

After finishing the little one up I decided to weight it. 21g
IMG_20210831_013122490.jpg

Surprisingly, the 30mm EDF one empty weighs almost the same as the EZ version.
IMG_20210831_013454883.jpg

Then of course I wasn't sure if I had weighed the 50mm EDF. - looks like that is 265. With a tiny bit of effort I might be able to skirt this below 250g
IMG_20210831_013347538.jpg

Seeing as how I have them all together, it was time for a family portrait. (the middle one complained)
IMG_20210831_014131326.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Good Luck This Project looks great and I love it. I wonder if you did an unpapered version using FoamTac or some such. might you get it light enough. (1/3 of the plane's Foam weight to 1 side of paper.
Yeah, its mostly single side of paper. Depron would have been nice I think but i didnt get any in until just the other day! 🤪 I was going for a slightly upgraded EZ pack style plane so stuck with FT build style and material.

The motors are 10mm instead of the 8 or 6 i normally use. I wanted to make sure i had sufficient power to attempt a water takeoff. At this size should've went with 6mm for a quad engine and i wouldnt have needed 4 escs. Oh well.

I like the 10mm motors though. Much more power than the 8's. Wouldve worked great in my micro DH88! I can see quite a few future projects with them for sure.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
After finishing the little one up I decided to weight it. 21g
Surprisingly, the 30mm EDF one empty weighs almost the same as the EZ version.
Then of course I wasn't sure if I had weighed the 50mm EDF. - looks like that is 265. With a tiny bit of effort I might be able to skirt this below 250g
Seeing as how I have them all together, it was time for a family portrait. (the middle one complained)

Nice!

I need to start playing with some EDF's 🤔

GrizWiz

Elite member
This is what I've got so far:

I thought I had more footage of it flying after I had it tuned a little better but I couldn't find it. I'll get more once I finish paint and such. Weather permitting the next one will be off the water!
It flies!! Great job looks sweet! Don't worry about the flight time (y)