FT 22 mods to fix cg and slow speed flying

dutchmonkey

ok I created plans with my revisions

ok things to note

1. I added 1.5 degrees of toe in to the each rudder to increase low speed stability in the turns this is untested.

2. I attached the elevons to the main wing to increase durability on those hinges I strongly advise to do the glue method on those hinges as well as tape on the top surface

doing this also created a glue spar on the main wing this should help with durability during high speed maneuvers.

good luck let me know how it goes.

especially if there is an issue with my plans never done this before lol

do you have an un-tilled pdf of your plan?

wilsonair

FT-22 Mods

Hey , just wanted you to know my buddy and I did your mods plus a few of my own and this FT-22 came alive. We also had problems with the set up like FT had. I put a kf2 airfoil on the wing, spread the vert. tails out and doubled the vertical side rails for taking off and landing on grass, works wonderfully. IMG_7082 (2).jpg

rcmcnutty

SO glad I found this! Definately gonna give this a go. Mine is unflyable with a 1300mah 3s battery. Thanks frogs84ss!!

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I used Inkscape to extract the full-sized plans from the tiled version. Not sure how I did it, but this is what I came up with.

Attachments

• FT-22 SS Full.pdf
    177.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
Hey , just wanted you to know my buddy and I did your mods plus a few of my own and this FT-22 came alive. We also had problems with the set up like FT had. I put a kf2 airfoil on the wing, spread the vert. tails out and doubled the vertical side rails for taking off and landing on grass, works wonderfully. View attachment 44839

Welcome to the forum. I love what you did with the KF!

Tater76

I think it's odd that so many had issues with the FT version? Mine flew perfect from day one. I even had to make an extender for the battery cable so I could put my 800mah 3s in the nose for correct cg. I went light on the motor with a 2208 1400kv, and a 9x6 prop. It performed well, but was pretty slow. I tried a 2217/16 1150 Cobra and 2200 3s with 9x6 prop last night, and it turned it into a rocketship. The cg was nearly where all of the others were saying, so I understand the frustration, but still doable.

That said, I am going to try frogs build just as a comparison, with the exact electronics setup. I will post some pics :)

SaltyGator

FT22 vs. FT22SS

I have built them both and I like both... I had the same CG problems everyone else had with the original, but once I figured out how to shove the battery back on the shelf behind the cockpit, I got it flying very nice. Today, we did streamer combat and it out turned everything in the sky. But the role rate leaves something to be desired. Original is powered by a 2212/1400kv and flies very nice on a GWS 8060 prop and 1500 3 cell. 10 minutes flights with battery to spare. Not a speedster, but a stable, maneuverable, facsimile of a nice jet. Slow speed and high alpha are awesome. Very relaxing to fly.

I built the SS and it is a rocket ship with the role rate of a Tom Brady pass. 2212/2200kv with 5.5 x 4.5 on the same battery. Once I got it dialed in, it is blast to punch holes in the sky with. Flies slow well, but not near as stable in thigh alpha as the original. Still might need some tweaking to get it there. It can be a white knuckle ride if it gets away from you.

They have both passed muster and are headed to the paint shop for inclusion in the fleet.

I'm now thinking of building a third and split the differnce. Move the motor and servos back an inch and add ailerons, but stay with the smaller motor just for giggles. I'm curious if I can get a highly maneuverable relaxing ride... Great combat ship?

Great work everybody, keep the mods coming!

John

P.S. > bar-b-que skewers on the leading edge are the bomb... mid aired today and had no damage.... the other guy's wing didn't fair as well. Both got down alive... but the skewer saved the wing.

Tater76

Took out my FT F22 last night with the 2217/16 3s setup, and had one of the best flights I have ever had. Well..... that is until I lost signal and it nosed into the ground full speed :( The nose took most of the energy, the motor mount ripped off, and the battery was deformed. Sooooo.... I decided to just build the modified F22 tonight! Here are some pics.

ebay 065.JPG ebay 066.JPG ebay 067.JPG ebay 068.JPG ebay 069.JPG ebay 070.JPG ebay 071.JPG