Legendary member
This is the shape its in now:
20190922_155349.jpg

Inverted to close to the ground.

Building a better one, More active throws and somewhat more scale

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Dude - sweet flying! I love the look of that thing, and can’t wait to see your mods for an even more scale one! I can’t wait to try mine on my c pack. It should be a lot faster than the b pack. How well did it fly inverted?

Vimana89

Legendary member
Not maneuverable enough, definitely the fastest plane I have flown, I like how light it is, tracks like an arrow. You might like this one actually
The way it seems to handle is actually very similar to the tailed delta I just built, but mine still needs a tiny bit of trim and stuff. I haven't dare tried to roll mine yet. It was smart to go with modest throws/control surfaces however you did the first time and then step it up later if it lacks maneuverability, because an overly touchy plane is bad to maiden.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Dude - sweet flying! I love the look of that thing, and can’t wait to see your mods for an even more scale one! I can’t wait to try mine on my c pack. It should be a lot faster than the b pack. How well did it fly inverted?
Inverted it was pitching down and I panicked, tried to pull up out of it, which is now down, and got the result I did. the throws were to slight because of the 5g servos and the size of the control surfaces. The BB is more maneuverable the FT-22 in rolls and pitch, even though it is a slower plane, it just wasn't as reactive.

As an elevon plane though it is quickly becoming my favorite so far, the speed, the sound, and it's potential. This is just the tip of the iceberg buddy, I am gonna post some revisions right now actually.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
V2 is on the drawing board, got some things to work out here
20190922_220001.jpg

This is the new plans I printed off and it looks similar to the V1, but there are a few changes.
20190922_220057.jpg

Elevons are goin on a diet and will hinge at this line instead
20190922_220237.jpg

The wing will be split at this line, just like in the build vid where Bixler poured some glue to it to make a glue spar. Cutting off the front section of the wing will allow me to do the extensions on the back and keep the elevons attached to the wing instead of taping them on. The front section of the wing will be cut from a new sheet with the FB grain going perpendicular to the back section. the two sections will then be taped and glued together just like in the build vid. And there will of coarse the KFm2 wing top panels going over top of that. the blacked out areas in this pic will be omitted as well. I may even extend the fuse/motor mount section in over the slot and leave the bottom empty for more airflow. I noticed the motor after my maiden was the hottest part of the system, usually its my battery or ESC, so I will be working on more air flow into the fuse.
20190922_220826.jpg

20190922_220902.jpg

To run the elevon hinges at an angle i would like to keep the pushrod geometry as perpendicular to the hinge line as much as possible so i may mount the servo vertical instead of horizontal to achieve this. Servos still at the back, short pushrods and in a vertical plane on the side it still is out of the airflow for the majority just like it was flat. Or I might run them horizontal and recess them into the FB at an angle perpendicular to the hinge line, haven't decided yet.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

More to come

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The way it seems to handle is actually very similar to the tailed delta I just built, but mine still needs a tiny bit of trim and stuff. I haven't dare tried to roll mine yet. It was smart to go with modest throws/control surfaces however you did the first time and then step it up later if it lacks maneuverability, because an overly touchy plane is bad to maiden.
Given that I knew the throws were gong to be modest I kept it on high rates right from the start. I did keep it tamed for the first half till it flew straight with trimming adjustments. But once it was tracking nice I poured the coals to her and stretched it legs out. V2 will be way more exciting to fly. Like a scale dog fighter whipping around to lose the 6 o'clock boagie lol

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I want to figure out how to make the nose more of a diamond profile instead of the square and still attach it to the wing...

Any thoughts?

Tonero311

Brilliant build and flying. Looking at the video she performs well. C pack motor seems a good match too. That KFM on the wing has helped low speed. It looks really stable at low speed. Roll performed same as mine. Very corkscrew like. Did you do any top speed runs? Did it pitch up a lot under acceleration? I found my mini ft-22 tried to head for the moon. Never had that kind of power on the big one though.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Are you using 9 gram servos for v2? And how are the smaller control surfaces going to help? Are you just going to give them more throw? I finished cutting everything out today and I enlarged the elevons a lot and then enlarged the vertical stabilizers and cut bevels for the rudder

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Brilliant build and flying. Looking at the video she performs well. C pack motor seems a good match too. That KFM on the wing has helped low speed. It looks really stable at low speed. Roll performed same as mine. Very corkscrew like. Did you do any top speed runs? Did it pitch up a lot under acceleration? I found my mini ft-22 tried to head for the moon. Never had that kind of power on the big one though.
The C pack is a great motor for it. The airframe is already light and that motor pushed it around nicely. The KFm2 made it really stable, no wing rock. To me the CG looks like its to far forward and it did perform like it was really nose heavy right out of the box. I gave it up reflex of about 8 mm and I still needed up trim in flight, possibly it had twice the battery then it's rated for. You could tell in the loops it would pull to the side and the glide slope on the landing was steeper then what I am used to, had to burst in the throttle once or twice to shallow it out. Even the roll as soon as it went inverted it lost a lot of altitude, ,or corkscrew as you said.

Other then that It didn't pitch up at all on acceleration like my other planes. I did do some full throttle stuff about 2/3rds the way into the flight. It is a fun plane to fly though. I likey!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Are you using 9 gram servos for v2? And how are the smaller control surfaces going to help? Are you just going to give them more throw? I finished cutting everything out today and I enlarged the elevons a lot and then enlarged the vertical stabilizers and cut bevels for the rudder
The elevons will be getting the 9g servos this time and a slightly smaller surface with way more throw should be more reactive at any angle and speed. Those are the biggest control surfaces I have seen on any plane, elevon or not, and I have flown others which roll and pitch faster then that, For example the Baby Blender. Plus the angle the hinge line is at will be a bit of an advantage to leverage the air flow quicker along the TE of the control surface, that's my theory anyway.

Did you check out @Tonero311 rudder servo set up on his posts, brilliant stuff, push/pull system from the center. And tis guy has a punisher skull in his avatar, cool dude in my books man. How are you going to make the elevons larger?

Tonero311

The elevons will be getting the 9g servos this time and a slightly smaller surface with way more throw should be more reactive at any angle and speed. Those are the biggest control surfaces I have seen on any plane, elevon or not, and I have flown others which roll and pitch faster then that, For example the Baby Blender. Plus the angle the hinge line is at will be a bit of an advantage to leverage the air flow quicker along the TE of the control surface, that's my theory anyway.

Did you check out @Tonero311 rudder servo set up on his posts, brilliant stuff, push/pull system from the center. And tis guy has a punisher skull in his avatar, cool dude in my books man. How are you going to make the elevons larger?

Thanks for the compliment on the rudder setup. It was a compromise from a more ambitious design I was playing with. With the rudders in a V type configuration, could separate servos be used on each? Programme them to work with the elevons. Give more authority maybe. Shelved that thought for a while for being too ambitious for me to achieve.....yet. Though makes good food for thought.
The avatar was my first mini ft-22. That one got wrapped in clear packing tape they stenciled with a permanent marker. 1st foamboard plane I successfully flew. Unfortunately it met its fate and is long gone now, v3 is hanging on the wall in the hangar.

Attachments

• 20190923_161051.jpg
    20190923_161051.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190923_161137.jpg
    20190923_161137.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks for the compliment on the rudder setup. It was a compromise from a more ambitious design I was playing with. With the rudders in a V type configuration, could separate servos be used on each? Programme them to work with the elevons. Give more authority maybe. Shelved that thought for a while for being too ambitious for me to achieve.....yet. Though makes good food for thought.
The avatar was my first mini ft-22. That one got wrapped in clear packing tape they stenciled with a permanent marker. 1st foamboard plane I successfully flew. Unfortunately it met its fate and is long gone now, v3 is hanging on the wall in the hangar.
You like these raptors don't ya? You should build another one on this thread and implement all these ideas into one plane. Even steal some of our ideas to use on it. Then you could compare and give your expert opinion on the new one since you already have so much experience with your first planes

Tonero311

Unfortunately. I can't. My full attention is on another ambitious build. This one here https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/150-modded-pietenpol.60368/#post-500554.
What I can do though if the weather is right mind you, is test the one I currently have with the Emax GT2218/09 motor in it and see how bad an idea that turns out?😂 if that doesn't move faster with a 9x6 prop I don't know what will. That's the one with the aforementioned rudder set-up, carbon fibre spars etc.