FT-22... On Steroids

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Seems to have a lot of fans of the Mini 22. I have mine sitting on the bench and it taunts me, I really want to fly it but the task of fixing it seems daunting. Probably because I am in the middle of the Scout right now. Although by the time the Scout is done I will have on 9g servo left to replace the stripped one and once I cut the damaged nose off I will be more motivated to get it set back up.

Looks like a nice day out today so I might take the kids and the dog out to the hallowed flying grounds for a rip or two on the BB again... maybe I will encounter the angry farmer again hehe!

Last edited:

Sero

Elite member
Ran 2 packs with the mini today, below is the recording of the first flight. Wish I recorded the 2nd flight as I was doing a lot of high alpha with it, full up elevator and adjust throttle to maintain elevation, so fun flying around like that. Then I proceeded to plant it nose first into the ground at full throttle. Barely any damage. Ground is pretty soft where I'm flying, still shows how tough it is.

Video is unedited, full flight.

IMG_20191001_152129.jpg

Motor upgrade??
IMG_20190930_154402.jpg

Tonero311

Ran 2 packs with the mini today, below is the recording of the first flight. Wish I recorded the 2nd flight as I was doing a lot of high alpha with it, full up elevator and adjust throttle to maintain elevation, so fun flying around like that. Then I proceeded to plant it nose first into the ground at full throttle. Barely any damage. Ground is pretty soft where I'm flying, still shows how tough it is.

Video is unedited, full flight.

View attachment 144210

Motor upgrade??
View attachment 144211
That's a really good flying f-22. Very smooth and stable in the air. I think after a battery pack or 2 you just have to play about with it. Thats how I killed the first 3. Motor upgrade? Do it.
How do you take your video too?

Sero

Elite member
Lol - @Sero - I have that exact v-spek motor😂. Maybe I should forget about trying to do a standard ft-22 and go for the mini! They are decent little motors for $5... Great flying by the way!
Thanks!
Ya you can't go wrong for $5, I bought 4 of them. :D A few annoying things is they don't come with mounting hardware and terminology they use (cw/ccw) is opposite from what you think.
I've never owned any FT mini motors but I believe these are right between the A and F pack in terms of power.

Tonero311

Thanks!
I'm using a head strap mount.

The onboard cam I use is mounted by Velcro, I could mount it to the brim of a baseball cap... might do that for maidens, instead of someone else filming actually.

What camera do you use? In the market for both head mounted(glasses would be preferable) and an onboard camera. What you are both using looks to be good quality.
My mini ft-22 was run off the f pack motor and that thing shifted. That motor is bound to make things 'interesting'. Have got a bad video(camera man seemed to be blind with a camera in his hand🤣) of mini ft-22 flight, though I can't post it up here due foul language unfortunately.

Tonero311

Always could use a motor upgrade. It's quick little plane just on the A pack motor and even better with something bigger!
If you chuck an f pack motor in you won't regret it. I personally guarantee that. Endless vertical ability. Makes it more of a handful and a challenge I feel. Though i never bothered with the a pack motor.

Thanks!
Ya you can't go wrong for $5, I bought 4 of them. :D A few annoying things is they don't come with mounting hardware and terminology they use (cw/ccw) is opposite from what you think.
I've never owned any FT mini motors but I believe these are right between the A and F pack in terms of power.
I think that one is definitely bigger than standard f pack motor. Standard f pack is emax 2204 2300kv. Its looks like turnigy measure the motor bell rather than stator, which I'm thinking will definitely make the stator height bigger.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
What camera do you use? In the market for both head mounted(glasses would be preferable) and an onboard camera. What you are both using looks to be good quality.
My mini ft-22 was run off the f pack motor and that thing shifted. That motor is bound to make things 'interesting'. Have got a bad video(camera man seemed to be blind with a camera in his hand🤣) of mini ft-22 flight, though I can't post it up here due foul language unfortunately.

I am using a Mobius HD cam. It's just a little larger then a key chain cam, takes a micro SD card, charges like a cell phone. It would be something you could use as a dash cam in your car.
If you chuck an f pack motor in you won't regret it. I personally guarantee that. Endless vertical ability. Makes it more of a handful and a challenge I feel. Though i never bothered with the a pack motor.

I think that one is definitely bigger than standard f pack motor. Standard f pack is emax 2204 2300kv. Its looks like turnigy measure the motor bell rather than stator, which I'm thinking will definitely make the stator height bigger.

Anything that fits the A pack motor is definitely worth the F pack for sure. It's like why do the B pack when the C pack will fit just fine lol

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Anything that fits the A pack motor is definitely worth the F pack for sure. It's like why do the B pack when the C pack will fit just fine lol
I have a couple b pack motors. For something like the old speedster, c pack on 3s is too much. The plane just won’t fly well with too much speed because of the under cambered wing and stuff... c pack on 2s however is acceptable - a little underpowered though. B pack on 3s is perfect.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have a couple b pack motors. For something like the old speedster, c pack on 3s is too much. The plane just won’t fly well with too much speed because of the under cambered wing and stuff... c pack on 2s however is acceptable - a little underpowered though. B pack on 3s is perfect.
Under cambered wing... do people still do that lol

Sero

Elite member

Mine is a GoPro knock off that I paid $50 on Amazon for. The one I got is called an Apex cam, came with a bunch of accessories and I paid another $15 for more. Seems anything that fits a GoPro works with this camera too, I think even the battery's are interchangeable but don't quote me on that.

Sero

Elite member

Yes usually Turnigy motors specs are the bell not the stator but the Vspec 1808 on my Mini F22 (which is Turnigy motor) they measure the stator as the bell measures 23 x 11. The Vspec is rated at 16 amps and 175 watts, which I believe the F-pack is rated higher.

Sero

Elite member
Flew my Mini again today. I discovered my left servo is weak and has a hard time overcoming the prop wash. May swap out the one servo or upgrade both to 9 grams as I'm using 5 grams. I may just build a new plane to use the 2826 in.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Flew my Mini again today. I discovered my left servo is weak and has a hard time overcoming the prop wash. May swap out the one servo or upgrade both to 9 grams as I'm using 5 grams. I may just build a new plane to use the 2826 in.
There you go. Build new and go big. Printed off some nose plans and cut off the smashed nose. Replaced the servo as well. The FT-22 will fly again

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Wonder if that might be my problem - weak servos...