FT-22... On Steroids

Tonero311

Are they the digital 5g emax servos by chance? I had the exact same issue with this model though not as badly with es9051's I think they were. I ended up just putting metal gear ones in, es08maii's. Never a problem since. Control surface maybe too big or vibrating possibly. That's why it calms once you steady it with your hand possibly. So.my thinking goes at the moment.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I did set the pushrods at furthest out from the servo screw to get the most throw in the video. After I posted I changed the pushrod location 2 holes closer to the servo screw and it calmed down considerably. Still has a bit of flutter but when I blow on it, it settles again, so maybe in flight it will stabilize... or maybe wont work at all. Or I could cut the elevons off and make new ones the extend further down the wing and shorter in the length or chord. They are just nylon gear servos from the F pack

Tonero311

In flight should stabilize. Though I only used the 5g pg digital servos on the mini ft-22. Actually threw out 3 of these servos thinking they were junk because of this same behaviour. Gutted now I've figured they were probably ok. Ah well.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
In flight should stabilize. Though I only used the 5g pg digital servos on the mini ft-22. Actually threw out 3 of these servos thinking they were junk because of this same behaviour. Gutted now I've figured they were probably ok. Ah well.
I have thrown out parts like that as well, then thought later damn it, shoulda kept those lol

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Well, I haven’t had too much time on my hands recently, but I did work on a thrust vectoring system! I’m not sure how I’m going to mount the servo for it yet, but once I’ve finished the wing/fuse, I’ll start playing with that. I’m super excited for this because I’ve never done thrust vectoring before, and from what I saw on the ft vid of the thrust vectoring viggen, it makes for a pretty crazy plane! And my ft-22 v3 has its last flight today - the elevons are so sloppy, I couldn’t pull out of the basic maneuvers I was doing. Oh well - at least I’ll have a v4 to crash pretty soon!😂

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Here’s a pic of the thrust vectoring system I painstaking hand cut out cause my jigsaw blade broke and the only replacement blades at the hardware store were too big...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Got on to the nose this afternoon, was some head scratching but got it sorted it out...
20190921_180341.jpg

A couple things that I wanted to do was keep the bottom of the nose and fuse even to be more scale to the real plane and maintain the profile from the cockpit to the motor mount. I essentially lifted the cockpit 3/4 of an inch and extended the side walls that tab into the top of the wing the same 3/4", then extended the fuse all the way to the motor mount.
20190921_185315.jpg

Makes for a cleaner profile and more scale appearance, plus creates more room for battery movement in the nose...
20190921_185303.jpg
20190921_185631.jpg

One thing that was a concern was cooling the motor, so the firewall has a gap underneath to allow the air to flow through...
20190921_194550.jpg

The belly panel was tampered in a couple of inches to allow better access to electronics. the ESC battery leads are fed through the center of the wing to access the battery in the nose. It worked out that the battery will balance the plane, as per the CG marks at the front of the wing where they meet the fuse, just in front of the notch in the wing inside the fuse. mind you I still have to put the Vstabs on but it will be close. The RX will be placed opposite of the ESC.

This is turning out to be a sturdy airframe and I am looking forward to the maiden, although the servo thing kinda worries me. But its just FB, let'er rip!

Attachments

• 20190921_185315.jpg
    20190921_185315.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190921_185303.jpg
    20190921_185303.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190921_185631.jpg
    20190921_185631.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190921_194550.jpg
    20190921_194550.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Well, I haven’t had too much time on my hands recently, but I did work on a thrust vectoring system! I’m not sure how I’m going to mount the servo for it yet, but once I’ve finished the wing/fuse, I’ll start playing with that. I’m super excited for this because I’ve never done thrust vectoring before, and from what I saw on the ft vid of the thrust vectoring viggen, it makes for a pretty crazy plane! And my ft-22 v3 has its last flight today - the elevons are so sloppy, I couldn’t pull out of the basic maneuvers I was doing. Oh well - at least I’ll have a v4 to crash pretty soon!😂
Here’s a pic of the thrust vectoring system I painstaking hand cut out cause my jigsaw blade broke and the only replacement blades at the hardware store were too big...
I like the thrust vectoring idea. That unit you built, is supposed to pitch the prop up and down correct?

I crashed my BB today as well, more of a hard landing, on the nose. Another broken firewall. Easy fix. I am slowly convincing buddy on the Viggen idea. I hope he lets me build his 70mm EDF into it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I like the thrust vectoring idea. That unit you built, is supposed to pitch the prop up and down correct?

I crashed my BB today as well, more of a hard landing, on the nose. Another broken firewall. Easy fix. I am slowly convincing buddy on the Viggen idea. I hope he lets me build his 70mm EDF into it.
Yup / up and down. Too bad about the bb. I fixed and crashed the spitfire today but all it needs is regluing the wingtips, new prop, and a little elevator gluing. Great flight though. Really got the inverted down now!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Got back from the big city and came with presents: View attachment 143077
All loaded up on FB for this project and another Scout. Man I love FB, so cheap to buy and effective to build with.
View attachment 143078
Got some glue sticks... though I am kinda worried about my choice in the type of glue sticks. Can you tell the difference in the new ones from the old ones?
Stay away from the milky ones. Clear is better. ;)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
This is something I have never seen before, check it out:
Comments or suggestions?
The servos can't center. They're trying really hard. Too much for them to handle. I'd suggest going to 9gram, but I get the same thing with 9gram on a couple of my planes. Sometimes it's the proximity of the transmitter. Back off the TX by 5 feet, and things quiet down.

Since you're using a servo tester, I'd say the servos can't handle the load. I think you need better servos. Either bigger or metal gear, that I'm not sure of. The digital servos are kind of touchy. They're always searching for where they're supposed to be and they do it very rapidly. If they're unable to find it, they flutter.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I think it is the load they have on them, when I moved the pushrod closer to the servo screw they settled down, not solved but settled. Kinda freaked me out when it first happened. the plane was vibrating across the bench lol

L Edge

Master member
Here is my version of TV made out of ABS and heli parts. Did some wacky things with it. Suggest you use metal gears or it will probably strip the plastic gears. It is even wilder when you put in at the rear. Put it on re-enforced elevons (2) plus differential thrust and you have all three axis. It is a ball.

P1010016.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
20190922_094622.jpg

She is ready to maiden!

Learned something new about elevon and dual aileron programming this morning... when you program make sure all your inputs are not reversed. I switched from elevon A and B, Rx ports so many times just to realize that the aileron control was reversed. Switched it to normal and everything fell into place. Nothing to do but fly. Wish me luck!