FT-22 Raptor Build - and Questions From a Newbie!

BanditJacksRC

I build a Storch last week, and took it out for my first RC flight ever. After about 3 or 4 minutes of flying around, it took a pretty good tumble. All the damage was fixed the next day, but decided I wanted something a little smaller to lug around. (plus my work area isn't all that big)

This week I decided to build the FT-22 Raptor.

This is a build log for the complete scratch build. and the first step is where my main question lies.

I printed out the plans at work, and took them home to tape 'em together. I use a glass table and a flash light underneath, so I can see the lines and line them up through the margin on the papers edge, where the printer cannot reach.
Does anybody have any good tips on any better way to do this procedure?
It takes a lot of time, and most of the time it still does not come out perfect. This one was pretty close all around (just a little off here and there), but when I built the FT Storch the bottom of the fuse was pretty uneven and drove me nuts!
I went to the local Fed Ex print shop and they wanted apx. $15 for a black and whiteL, full sized print on regular thickness paper. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated!
Plans Taped 1.JPG Plans Taped 2.JPG

Then I cut out all the peices and taped the on the foam...
Pape Peices.JPG Taped to Foam.JPG

Next I will obviously be cutting out all the foam peices and begin the build process.. I will keep the progress posted!
Does anyone know about any good mods for the 22?

~Bandit Jack

mjmccarron

I usually download the full size plan and open it using Adobe Reader. Go to "Print" and select the "Poster" option and make sure you check the "Print Cut Lines" this gives you registration marks at the corners and makes it easier to line up. The print assembly stage always takes me the longest so I usually cut templates out of poster board so I don't have to go through the process again if I want to build a new one.

I look forward to seeing your progress. The FT-22 is an excellent plane. Keep your throws down at first and it's an easy and fun to fly plane. Also, Watch your CG. It's hard to get it far enough back.

Best of luck,
Mike

BanditJacksRC

make sure you check the "Print Cut Lines" this gives you registration marks at the corners and makes it easier to line up.

You know, I saw that "Print Cut Lines" option and thought to myself, "Im not going to cut the margins off!" I dint even think about the corner reference marks! Man I've gotta try that next time.

Regarding the CG: I am using the 28-26 1200kv 258w Prop Drive with a 3s 2200maH battery and I CAN'T get the CG worked out. Even all the way back on that bed the fire wall sits on is not far enough. I think I am just going to add some weight to the back. I am going to be posting the rest of my build pics a little later today.

I'm going out to maiden her right now, and then heading off to work. I will have some down time there to post everything. I have a few more questions as well if you don't mind checking back.

Thanks again for that pointer, I am def. going to use that one.
~Bandit Jack

mjmccarron

Regarding the CG: I am using the 28-26 1200kv 258w Prop Drive with a 3s 2200maH battery and I CAN'T get the CG worked out. Even all the way back on that bed the fire wall sits on is not far enough. I think I am just going to add some weight to the back. I am going to be posting the rest of my build pics a little later today.

I've never gotten the CG right with a 2200mAh. 1300 is the biggest I can get to balance it without adding weight. The motor you have will be very sufficient. I'm running 260 watts on mine and I fly at 1/2 throttle most of the time.
Good luck,
Mike

Pity_the_fool

I use 3m spray mount and lightly spray the back of the plans before laying them on the foam. That way you don't have to cut out everything twice. I usually re-organize the parts in a program called blue beam so they fit better on a 20x30 page. The f22 is awesome just dial up your expo and take it slow. With the stock plane the largest battery I have got to work is a 3s 1300 also. I am currently working on a plan where the battery is moved back and the nose is attached with heavy duty Velcro so it tears off in a crash. The nose is always the part that gets damaged, and it would be nice to be able to replace them easily. We'll see how it works :confused:

BanditJacksRC

Finished the Build / After Maiden Pics

So I have finished the FT-22 build and all I can saw is WOW... What a breeze this scratch build has been in comparison to the scratch build of the Simple Storch.
Everything went together nice and quickly, without any major complications.

s Body 1.JPG

Because this was a scratch build i made my own fire wall from the plans with some scratch plywood.

Prop Install.JPG FireWall1.JPG

I originally had the push/pull rod in the middle hole on the control horn, but thought the throws were very low. The way they have you glue that plate on the rods to prevent bowing you can't just pull them off the control horn, so I had to cut it and make new ones. The channel i made in the foam for the first rod was now at the wrong angle, so I doubled up the foam and made a new channel in a new piece of foam. Doesn't look too bad in my opinion.

PushPull v.2.JPG Controll Horn.JPG

Then I installed all the electronics. The Battery is supposed to go in the cabin area (under the removable canopy), but because I am using the 2200maH I found the CG is just about right when placed on the same bed as the firewall.

Bottom w battery (w. notes).png

Put the bottom plate on and she's good to go!

Bottom w. Belly Plate.JPG

*NOTE: This is only my second RC flight*
I was in somewhat of a hurry, because I had to be at work within the next hour or so, so I took her to a nearby vacant lot about 1/2 mile away from my place.
I hand launched her and immediately noticed the throws (at least for the elevator) seemed pretty light. I was able to do a couple right hand patterns, but then attempted some rolls and lost control. It smashed into the ground and wrinkled up the nose.
I was able to just put some scotch tape on it that I had brought with me. It was good enough for another go.
The second flight went just about the same. The plane felt really heavy with the 2200mah, and I thought it would be a lot more responsive than it was in actuality.

Anyways here are the pics of the damage.
The nose was pretty smashed in after the 2 crashes and the right wing tip was ripped and there was also a dent a little further up the leading edge.

After Maiden Nose.JPG
After Maiden Wing.JPG
The prop was also pretty scraped up on the tips.
After Maiden Prop.JPG

So I have actually fixed everything already, and will be posting pics of the repairs later today.
I wanted to ask a few question after all this, and just wanted to let everyone know I REALLY appreciate the feedback I have already received. This is such a great community and hope to one day help others with the knowledge I will build with gaining RC experience.

-The 1st question I have is about the prop I am using. It is an 8 X 4 that I purchased from HK, but in one of the FT beginner series, Josh talks about props with bulky centers are generally for gas/glow only. Is this prop I am using one of those gas/glow only props?
I also have noticed the recommended specs for this prop is the SF 8 X 6. I was wondering,is there really is such a noticeable difference between the 8X4 and the 8X6.

-The 2nd question I have is about any mods for strengthening the nose. I have already put some thicker BBQ skewers in during the repairs (will post pics later today). but was thinking is def. needs more. Anybody know of anything?

Also, I have already purchased a 1300maH and some regular SF 8X6 props for the FT-22 in hopes for a better responding and overall flying plane.

Thanks again for all the help I have already received!
~Bandit Jack