FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

Power and attach angle can compensate for a lot! Great Cardboard plane. I wouldn't even paint it!! Just put a few stickers on it to help with orientation.

Hi builders.

I'm building the F-22 for the first time and i'm making it out of 1 large bit of foamboard (48x36"). On the video of the speedbuild kit, the foamboard of the wing area is folded in half with for packaging (i assume). My question is, I assume leaving it whole and not cutting it will be stronger than cutting and hot-gluing it (as i don't have any CF to put in right now anyway)? Its late here (11:46pm) so my brain isnt working at 100% and i may be waaay overthinking (or underthinking as the case may be) this.

Cheers.

-Sean

Sean,

My first two F22's wings bowed after probably less than 10 flights I was flying in pretty high wind. I build a third made it a little smaller and doubled up on the foam for the wing only. it's still straight, probably 10+ flights or so. but it's heavy and needs 3/4 to full throttle to stay in the air (but probably does 50+mph!!).

My recommendation is go fly the one you've already built and crash it up, one hard landing and you'll be patching the nose up before you know it. If you are able, bring some extra foam pieces, duct tape, a power inverter and a hot glue gun with you. most of my repairs have taken less than 5 minutes but will ruin the day if you don't have the materials with you to fix it.

After you get a feel for how it flies then invest in the carbon spar HK has them pretty cheap so I've been told. Once my current F22 is toast i'm going to back to 100% size on the plans and I'm going to add the spar, i think it's needed.

my 2 cents

-Jes

docd

Just priced some junk on hobbyking... Would this get me in the air?

Turnigy 5X 5Ch Mini tx and rx
2 Turnigy TG9e 9g
Turnigy 2632 Brushless Motor 1500kv
APC style propeller 8x6-E
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 40C Lipo Pack
TURNIGY TRUST 45A SBEC

The motor can draw up to 40A according to the specs they quouted on the page, figure a 45A speed controller would do the job?

Also I read in the comments that an 8x6 prop works with it. Any suggestions?

Labersin

Sean,

My first two F22's wings bowed after probably less than 10 flights I was flying in pretty high wind. I build a third made it a little smaller and doubled up on the foam for the wing only. it's still straight, probably 10+ flights or so. but it's heavy and needs 3/4 to full throttle to stay in the air (but probably does 50+mph!!).

My recommendation is go fly the one you've already built and crash it up, one hard landing and you'll be patching the nose up before you know it. If you are able, bring some extra foam pieces, duct tape, a power inverter and a hot glue gun with you. most of my repairs have taken less than 5 minutes but will ruin the day if you don't have the materials with you to fix it.

After you get a feel for how it flies then invest in the carbon spar HK has them pretty cheap so I've been told. Once my current F22 is toast i'm going to back to 100% size on the plans and I'm going to add the spar, i think it's needed.

my 2 cents

-Jes

Thanks Jes.

I'll build it without anything and see how it goes as you suggest.

-Sean

ViperTech

Just priced some junk on hobbyking... Would this get me in the air?

Turnigy 5X 5Ch Mini tx and rx
2 Turnigy TG9e 9g
Turnigy 2632 Brushless Motor 1500kv
APC style propeller 8x6-E
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 40C Lipo Pack
TURNIGY TRUST 45A SBEC

The motor can draw up to 40A according to the specs they quouted on the page, figure a 45A speed controller would do the job?

Also I read in the comments that an 8x6 prop works with it. Any suggestions?

Looks like that set up will do the job! 8x6 should be fine! I fly with an 8x4E works fine!

MT Alex

I've been having a real blast the last couple of weeks with my F22, but I landed it a little too hard this evening.

IMG_20140513_173829_445.jpg

I had it setup similarly to to ViperTech's: D2822/14, 30A ESC, 8x4E, and running 1300mah 25-30C batteries. It was fairly fast, but needed to gain speed to perform any real vertical climbs.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Scratch-built one of these last night. From the printed PDF file to a complete build (minus the motor) in about 4 hours.
I normally build everything out of the same Dollar Tree foam, but I had found a few pieces of Elmer's black core foam board and Elmers prism foam board at a store called Five Below for about $2 and change each. These boards are twice as strong as the plain DT foam, so I opted for no spar at all.
Nice and easy build, with no roadblocks. The nose assembly went in very tight on the test fit, so I had to shave /trim a bit here and there, but that's normal when you don't start w/ a laser-cut kit.
I also cut my 'bowtie' a bunch smaller for a higher kv, smaller prop motor, so I had to make separate slots for the fuselage rails about an inch outside the prop slot.
I have a Turnigy 2826-6 200kv that I'll be running on a 3s 1600 w/ 40A esc and 6x4 APC. Considering this is the set-up on my F-35 that is almost 2x the weight, I think it'll be ok ;)

I'll post a maiden on the Tube here https://www.youtube.com/user/XXXTechRC when it happens.

~Cheers to all the folks at FliteTest for TONS of great vids, builds, ideas and inspiration. View attachment 24279 View attachment 24280

If you really want a fast set up, try the APC 5.25x6.5 prop on that motor. That's fast, if you want insanely fast, trim that prop down to a 4.75x6.25 and use a 2000ish 4 cell on the same motor. It loves that combo. :cool:

I have photos of it some where in this thread. Maybe pages 10-15.

Has anyone figured out how to make this swappable? If I missed it as I see through let me know. If I didn't then maybe I'll give it a shot!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Has anyone figured out how to make this swappable? If I missed it as I see through let me know. If I didn't then maybe I'll give it a shot!

I did actually! I never used it, but I did think something up. Basically you just have to move the slot back slightly, cut out the slots for the power pod tabs in the bottom of the wing, cut a relief in the belly plate to clear the pod, and add strips of foam between the belly plate and upper wing around the pod cut out. (for support)

I hope this helps! If it isn't enough though I'll retro fit an old FT-22 with a pod and take photos of the process.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I love how helpful this forum is! Even being a helper or reader and not seeing a thread degenerate into name calling is very refreshing.

I did actually! I never used it, but I did think something up. Basically you just have to move the slot back slightly, cut out the slots for the power pod tabs in the bottom of the wing, cut a relief in the belly plate to clear the pod, and add strips of foam between the belly plate and upper wing around the pod cut out. (for support)

I hope this helps! If it isn't enough though I'll retro fit an old FT-22 with a pod and take photos of the process.

Could you by chance take a picture?

bhav singh

I have tried many times to fly my ft raptor but it just wont fly.I have the battery at the nose of the plane and it is all balanced ...someone please help

i used these components:
1.hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1500kv
2.Hobby King 20A ESC 3A UBEC
3. Turnigy 9gram servos
4. 9X4.7 prop

whats wrong????

Well my 9x finally arrived yesterday!! :)

The FT22 is now fully loaded and balanced as per the build video, all systems are go - I just need the weather to place nice now haha :)
(cant wait)

IMAG1673.jpg IMAG1674.jpg

pabeader

To build this as a swappable, I think you can adjust the width of the canopy/fuselage area to allow the pod to slide into it. Install the two skewers in the bowtie area. Mount the pod upside down. The centerline of the engine will match the centerline of the triangle mount. Turn prop into pusher. I'm sure there are some other bits and pieces I am leaving out but you should be able to build from that. I am going to try it out this weekend.