FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

ruud

Is anyone using the combo suggested by Altitude Hobbies for this plane? (Suppo 2208/14 1400kv with APC 8x6 prop). What battery do you use, and how does it fly with that combo?

pabeader

I'm using a Cheetah 850 2S. It flies nice and slow. Needed a ton of nose weight. moved all my power gear to the front of the scoop area and that helped a bit.

pabeader

To build this as a swappable, I think you can adjust the width of the canopy/fuselage area to allow the pod to slide into it. Install the two skewers in the bowtie area. Mount the pod upside down. The centerline of the engine will match the centerline of the triangle mount. Turn prop into pusher. I'm sure there are some other bits and pieces I am leaving out but you should be able to build from that. I am going to try it out this weekend.

I've built a narrower canopy/fuse. Had to redesign the canopy area to make room for the pod to seat into. Need to make the fuse a little taller to interlock with the pod.

Now to make the rest of the plane, taking the narrower fuse into account.

pabeader

Took my stock Ft22 out for a flight today. First calm day all weekend. The thing wants to yaw right. Pretty hard to compensate a bank and yank that's yawing. I adjusted the fuse to the left. adjusted the left wing. nothing seems to help. after about 15, 25 second flights, I lost it and she nosed straight in. second nose canopy on this one. Think I'm going to strip it and make a complete new one.
maybe try out my swappable idea.

So, has anyone tried the swappable mod? I just build a blunt nose versa, but I have a feeling that it might be way too big for my flying field as it is basically 2 football field right next to each other. I want to get into an aileron trainer but would like it to be a pusher to save props. I built a Viggen pusher but my biggest battery is a 3s 1000mah and it needed that plus a 2200mah 3s of my friends to even get it close to balanced.

Okay, going to take a stab at making this swappable today. Have the plans cutout and ready to assemble. Will post later to report how it goes. Maybe will add some pics if I get it to work!!!!

Echo9

Can any experts point me to correct forum threads for newbies?

Thought I would ask here since F-22 is first build.
Can't get a motor to spin at all -
Emax motor & ESC, and Suppo motor and ESC -
Get servo response from both -
Can't get into either ESC programming cycle

Tactic TTX650 & 624 receiver

8/24 - got this worked out and flew it about a dozen times.

R.I.P F-22 -Your organs will be preserved and installed in your clone

Last edited:

david_isr

hello!
does anybody know if i can use the NTM 28-26A 1200kv / 250w motor with the 1300mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack on this plane? also what prop can i use with this setup?

david_isr

Thx for the quick reply!
I have another question - after building an amazing looking baby-blender, that cant fly because its wayyy too heavy, i realized that building plans from KAPPA (its similar to dollar tree, but heavier) will not work.
does anybody know if i can build this plane with depron?
also what is the weight of this plane? (only the plane, no electronics)

david_isr

guys i need your help!!!
just build my FT-22 from depron. i have a NTM 28-26A 1200kv motor with a SF E-Prop 8x3.8 , Hobby King 30A ESC and a 1300mAh 3S 25C Lipo. i adjusted the battery so the plane is a bit nose heavy.
today was a calm day (i flew my champ so no strong wind) so i did my test flight, and it didnt went so good.
the plane didnt want to turn at slow-medium speed, and overall was nothing like i saw on the video (on high speed it acted like a 3D plane, and not like a plane for a begginer).
so what am i doing wrong?
i also have a 750kv motor, will it work better?

Last edited:

david_isr

I have just a few more days of vecation before i go back to the university, so pls guys i can really use your help here

laury415

The motor isn't the problem, that's the same motor I use.

Are you using a 3 blade prop? If yes that really changes things and I wouldn't know what to expect. I use a standard 2 blade 8x6 slo-fly although a regular 8x6 would work too. I think the Depron is heavier then Adams foam board, but with that motor it shouldn't be an issue.

I would start by using a different prop and see what happens.

david_isr

i use a 2 blade prop..this one . and depron is lighter than any other foam board because it doesnt have the paper cover.
what prop will give me less speed and more power - the 8x6 or what i have?

i made a video, sorry about the poor quality,but if you look closely you can see left aileron (left from behind) is up, but the plane isnt turning. i put it down because there are power poles ahead and i dont like it when i dont have 100% control on my plane

Last edited:

david_isr

yes the numbers are facing forward. my problem isnt under-power...i think its a bit over-power. at top speed the plane is crazy fast

laury415

Overpowered shouldn't be an issue. As I said, I have the same motor with a 8x6 slo fly prop. When I launch I am at full throttle but I quickly back down to about 1/2 throttle to cruise. At full throttle I have to put in a little down elevator to keep it from ballooning up.