FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

laury415

It handles great. At half throttle it will fly very slow like a trainer and is very easy to use. As a matter of fact I let a newbie fly it and he had no problem controlling it. At full throttle it moves along pretty fast. At that speed you need to have a little bit more expertise to control it. You also have to give a little bit of down elevator to keep it flying level at full speed.

david_isr

It handles great. At half throttle it will fly very slow like a trainer and is very easy to use. As a matter of fact I let a newbie fly it and he had no problem controlling it. At full throttle it moves along pretty fast. At that speed you need to have a little bit more expertise to control it. You also have to give a little bit of down elevator to keep it flying level at full speed.

i have some experience at flying, thats why i think something wrong with it.
i will do a second test-flight, with a friend that have more experience than me and i will see what happens

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I finally got around to building this. I had been planning on doing a F22 from some of the plans on RCgroups and actually printed out a set of plans just a few days before FT released theirs. But the FT version looked so much nicer I promptly tossed the plans I had printed and instead printed the FT plans. But I've been pretty focused on multis since last November and then the Viggen came out and the foam I was going to use for the FT-22 wound up with Viggen plans on it instead. And still has viggen plans on it and is waiting for me to cut it out because every time I think I have the funds to pick up an EDF I end up buying more stuff for my knuckle quad instead :) So the FT-22 plans have been sitting gathering dust for months and I totally forgot I had them.

Well, the past few weeks my multis have been frustrating me. So this weekend my loving wife suggested "You haven't been flying any of your planes in awhile, why not build a new one?" And the FT-22 instantly came to mind. Dusted off the plans, picked up a few fresh sheets of foam, pulled some servos out of my parts box and a HK L2210 (1400kv 210w) motor that I think I may have originally bought to put on a F22 but by the time it arrived I had totally forgotten what I wanted it for. (I used it on my baby blender but wasn't very happy with it on there and when one of the factory solder joints on a bullet connector came loose I tossed it into my parts box and tried to forget about it.)

So for the cost of two sheets of DTFB and 1 glue stick I made myself a new plane. Got most of the construction in a time lapse:

Ran out of time on Sunday when I filmed that and wasn't able to build a motor mount. Then realized that one of the servos I grabbed was broken. So yesterday I replaced the servo with another from my parts box (one I know I replaced the gears on and is working fine.) then cut up some plywood to make a motor mount and it's ready to maiden! Probably won't have time to get it in the air until Friday though. Might try and toss some minwax on it tonight and maybe fire up the airbrush Wednesday night...though I don't generally like painting planes until they've flown at lest once just in case they only fly once and all that work goes to waste!

Fast fun cheap build though and I'm looking forward to flying it!

MSevern

EDF 125% FT-22

I've been thinking about doing a 125% FT-22 with a ducted fan. This would be my first EDF so I want to get the crowd's opinion on size and specs assuming I'm carrying a 2200mah battery. Will THIS EDF provide enough power for casual/mild park flying? Or, does anyone have suggestions for a better one?

menachg

what is the heaviest battery you can put on the ft22 because the smallest battery i have is 1500 wil it work?

rcdude77

Hi everyone,

I am putting my FT-22 together and wanted to use a motor that would be an equivalent to the "beef" set up. I choose a Turnigy Park 450 1200KV with a 1300mah 3 cell. As I am about to glue my motor mount in place I'm starting to think, is this too Beefy? What do you think? Comparing electric motors is still a foreign language to me. Also on my version I will only be able to use an 8 inch prop due to an error on how my plans were printed. Not sure if that would really effect the motor selection. Thanks for the help!

Rakshith

great model but the parts was not available so i bought donkey st 3511-810kv motor

it is powerful and often it lands very fast so i added breaks it worked and now it is smooth
first i printed in a wrong size and the plans was big then i asked my friend and he told to download and print it perfect . i guess u guyz would do a v2 of it;

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
The "Mini" FT-22 Raptor - Blue Angels Edition (with Pun Pod)

You have a Pun Pod? Build a Mini Raptor (61%) like this one:

web_Mini_Raptor_01.JPG

web_Mini_Raptor_02.JPG

web_Mini_Raptor_03.JPG

web_Mini_Raptor_04.JPG

web_Mini_Raptor_05.JPG

web_Mini_Raptor_06.JPG

Specs:
Weight: 195 g (6.9 oz) with electronics (without battery)
Wingspan: 39,2 cm (15.4 inches)

Recommended Electronics:
Propeller: APC Style Propeller 5x5
Motor: Emax PM1806-2300Kv Brushless (CW)
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 12amp (2A BEC) BESC
Lipo: Turnigy nano-tech 950mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack (69 g = 2.43 oz)
Elevon servos: Turnigy 1440A Servo 4.4g/0.8kg/.10sec (V2)
Radio: Spektrum DX6i
Receiver: AR400X

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
First time builder looking for assistance...I have some spare 1300mah 3S batteries and am torn by the motor/prop combo to use when reviewing items posted by others. I would consider myself an intermediate flyer so I think I need something a little more than the 24g hextronic recommended on the build PDF. I have seen some posts regarding the suppo motor as well as the turnigy d2822/14 1450kv. I would like to be able to fly gently around half throttle but get a little zip with WOT. Any recommendations on either motor or something else as well as which prop? Regarding prop - is a pusher style needed?

Just saw the post about the NTM 28-26 motor as well. How does that compare?

I appreciate all the guidance!

Last edited:

Strider

Hi all, i am building one. Planning to use a 4s 2200mAh, 3700kv motor on it, with a 5x5 or maybe a 6x4 size prop.

Please share your views.

Would the batt be too heavy? Am using what i have in the part box for now.