FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

Spart

WazUppp FT Members

Just purchased the F-22 kit and have gone through the build video several times.
Waiting for the kit to arrive... very excited to build it.
Wondered if anyone is still building it. This is such an old thread.
Any modification that have been made to make it better?
Was going to add a KfM airfoil... anyone experimented with this?
Was going to add bbq skewers to the leading edges of the vertical stabilizers... anyone experimented with this?
What about running skewers front to back for rigidity. Maybe along the bottom to double as skids?

So... just a few questions :)

Thanks,
Spart

Mikej

A quick question that I may be over-thinking.

This will be my first Elevon build and I'm just making sure that I understand the Tx set-up (OpenTx in case it matters) - the plans say 40 degrees for the elevon throw - is that 40 degrees for the elevator or 40 degrees for the Ailerons or 40 degrees for elevator + ailerons combined?. I realise that I'll need to tune it once it's in the air - I just want a good starting point.

Related to this - what ratio do you have for elevator movement to Aileron movement - are they about the same or does the Aileron (for example) move further than the elevator. I realise that the radio will sort most of this out for me and I will need to tweak it, just looking for a good starting point

Cheers,
Mike

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
A quick question that I may be over-thinking.

This will be my first Elevon build and I'm just making sure that I understand the Tx set-up (OpenTx in case it matters) - the plans say 40 degrees for the elevon throw - is that 40 degrees for the elevator or 40 degrees for the Ailerons or 40 degrees for elevator + ailerons combined?. I realise that I'll need to tune it once it's in the air - I just want a good starting point.

Related to this - what ratio do you have for elevator movement to Aileron movement - are they about the same or does the Aileron (for example) move further than the elevator. I realise that the radio will sort most of this out for me and I will need to tweak it, just looking for a good starting point

Cheers,
Mike
The ratio sorts that out. Just go by the amounts listed in the videos.
Thanks, Quinnyperks

Rockstar

Maidened my F-22 last weekend. Flew about a minute when the prop caught the left servo wire. (I didn't tape down the wire enough.) It slipped out from air flow. Sliced the servo cable, pulled the servo wire out of the Rx, destroyed the servo connector (I think it shot the servo connector thru the right wing. There was a segment of the servo wire thru the wing), the motor mount pealed of the top layer of paper from the foam, broke a tip of the prop, and dented the nose. Lucky it didn't hit anyone. Going to try a HQ Prop Slow Flyer Pusher 9x4.7R I just received from FT store, after I swop a couple wires to get the rotation right.

Rockstar

See my last post for maiden info.

New prop: the Slow Flyer Pusher 9x4.7R a little better but still either plane is sluggish in the air or too fast to enjoy the moment, it would be nice if it was quieter too, maybe go to a 3 blade drone prop.

New servo (maybe I'll solder new connector to old later, saved time), taped down wires well :).

Maybe I'm using too heavy of a battery (1300mah), re-mounted motor mount back to edge of opening but still battery half in nose/half in bottom plate to balance, getting about 6 minute flights though, I don't care to fly fast, 30% expo, got it to alpha then into vertical acceleration, disappointed in flight charatoristics :confused:...advice anyone?

iFly2Low

The CoG should be from where the inlet tapers out to the wing. I can be from that angle break rearward 1/2 inch and it will fly OK

iFly2Low

The CoG is located where the inlet angle flares out at the front of the wing. The CoG / CG can be from that point to 1/2" rearward and the plane will fly OK.

iFly2Low

I am still loving this aircraft. It is one of my favorites to fly. It flies well fast and slow. High alpha is really cool. I have modified the fuselage so it looks more F22 like.
F22  Ver4.jpg

iFly2Low

I have built 8 so far, 3 for friends and 5 for myself over the past 5 years. I build a new batch (3) whenever the current one
is too battered to fly. I give them to friends because it is blast having many circling about together.
M