FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

If you are interested in picking up a speed build kit, check out the store!

Otherwise, the free build plans are at the bottom of this article.

ft-22-build-2-jpg_1389801204.jpg

We recommend starting with the wing plate. Everything will connect to the wings and will give you a great base to work from.

ft-22-build-3-jpg_1389801207.jpg

Here is the installation of the side plates.

ft-22-build-4-jpg_1389801209.jpg

The FT-22 Raptor features these cool things called elevons.

For you newbies out there, when an aileron and an elevator love each other very much, they get together and make elevons.

They combine the functions of both ailerons and elevators into one control surface.

ft-22-build-5-jpg_1389801211.jpg

The channel dug out in the foam helps prevent the push-rods from flexing, keeping your controls nice and true.

ft-22-build-6-jpg_1389801213.jpg

We used a new technique for the nose of the FT-22. It is completely constructed of foam board making it extremely rigid and durable. Watch the video to see how!

ft-22-build-7-jpg_1389801216.jpg

ft-22-build-8-jpg_1389801297.jpg

Here, Josh makes sure to measure the angle on the vertical stabilizers, and you should too!

ft-22-build-1-jpg_1389801245.jpg

The FT-22 Raptor is enjoyable by new and veteran pilots alike. If you are looking for a first time build, or just something to break up your usual build styles, this is the plane for you!

For recommended electronics, check here!

FREE Build Plans:

FT-22 Raptor [ FULL SIZE ]

FT-22 Raptor [ TILED ]

As always, you are the ones who make these builds possible and we appreciate each and every one of you! THANKS!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
This is a 3 channel airplane. the receiver should match your transmitter.

For the transmitter, either you need a transmitter capable of elevon or delta mixing, *or* buy an elevon mixer that goes between your receiver and servos.

dlaxer74

Thank you, I am fairly new to the hobby and this would be my first kit build, from the suggestions that are provided on the build page where you can purchase the body, would all the combinations of the suggested items work together? If not what would be a good combination?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
for a first plane, I'd stay clear of the beef motor.

Pretty much option 2 of each of the parts should play nice together, with the 8" prop. Won't be the fastest version out there, but won't be so overpowered you have no chance.

you will still need a radio -- a Turnigy 9x, Orange T-six, or Spektrum Dx6i may not be the cheapest, but are excellent radios for a beginner. you'll also need a battery charger and power supply -- preferably programmable. I'm happy with my accucell6, but there are plenty of other programmable chargers out there.

dlaxer74

Ok thank you and that sounds good. And this would be my second plane. So if I got good with the set up you suggested then could I switch the motor to the beefy one if I wanted more power or would I have to get a new speed control and it prop? And I was looking into the dx6i and spektrum products. Are they good?

Rbeedude

This f22 build has many great tips. Especially since I'm a beginner, every time on flite test I learn something new.
Great job and the tips have helped. :)

chapiusky

Good day gentlemen, I am Brazilian and here there are several sizes of foramboard for sale. I would like to know what size you use to draw the plan in full size?

finnen

If you change the motor, you need to change speed controller and prop as well. Don't worry too much about it, build it with a 24g. Chances are that you will crash it before you can think about upgrading the motor :)

Spektrum stuff are fine. I have to say that I'm happy with my orangerx t-six, which is basically a cheaper clone of the dx6i. It even uses the same protocol, dsm2, so I can bind stuff that are spektrum bind an fly.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Good day gentlemen, I am Brazilian and here there are several sizes of foramboard for sale. I would like to know what size you use to draw the plan in full size?

The Dollar Tree Foam board is paper backed foam about 5mm thick, 20"x30" in size -- roughly 500x750mm, but most plans can be fit on a slightly smaller sheet. They're printed plans have often been larger than this, but the peices will still fit -- cut the peices out and arrange them to best use your foam board. If you can't source paper-backed foam, depron covered in packing tape is a little less rigid but is a fair substitute.

epicstrikard

Actual Pilot, RC Idiot
The Dollar Tree Foam board is paper backed foam about 5mm thick, 20"x30" in size -- roughly 500x750mm, but most plans can be fit on a slightly smaller sheet. They're printed plans have often been larger than this, but the peices will still fit -- cut the peices out and arrange them to best use your foam board. If you can't source paper-backed foam, depron covered in packing tape is a little less rigid but is a fair substitute.
I don't know if this is typical, but around here you lose an inch or two around the edges of the foam board. At my local dollar tree the foam board is always pretty beat up around the edges.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
A DT store is rarely a pristine environment, but some stores are better than others. if it's a larger store with better flow of product, they tend to have a bigger supply that turns over faster.

In those stores, it's easier to pick and choose the nicer/less warped/less wavy/less damaged sheets. I've yet to buy more than a few at a time, but I imagine the handling damage will be less if you buy by the case.

Either way, I've yet to see any FT patterns run all the way edge-to-edge for any one peice. BW wing is the closest I've built, but most parts are well under 30" long.

Fety

I wish you guys would spend a little more time OCD putting the parts on the plans a little closer together so I can use less paper on the plotter at work ;). Or just give us the original CAD files to mess around with. It would be nice to make some design tweaks.

sirtoby666

helli freak
Hi guys.
Great looking plane. I might have missed something in this thread but i still need to ask, whats the COG?