FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Hmm, I've got a few bits left, such as the motor mount, but my family is being ravaged by the stomach flu. :(
It's a great design so far, a real joy to build!

Bolvon72

Mentor
Yeehaw! Just went out for the maiden, but my cameras battery was dead. I decided to skip all my other motors and toss on a 2200 kv spinning a 6.5x4 prop. Like a bullet only with a scarier sound. No trimming, straight and true from the get go and non-stop, never say die vertical. I just pointed her up and watched her climb.

I ran 850 3S batteries, only getting about 3 minutes a pop. Time to charge up the 2200s and see if she'll carry them. Awesome design, looks great in the air, sounds a beast, and, for having no airfoil, glides in chopped quite nicely. Kudos boys!

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
image.jpg
A little more work done.

Bolvon72

Mentor
I did it backwards, I flew it first and then tested my motor combo. The 2200kv is 34 max amps, the prop/3s combo pulled 29 amps WOT hitting 278 watts. It'll do.

FT22.jpg

Orcoz

Birthday Present for my Boy!

What a great design! My son and I built the first F22 3-ish years ago after seeing it done by the Flitetest crew.... every flight the nose came back looking like an accordian :black_eyed:

It's been a few years, and a few planes since, but I couldn't wait to get my hands on these plans. Absolutely perfect timing as my son now turns 14 on Tuesday, and I built this for him! He'll be thrilled. Thank you Josh and FT team!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 39

Trippey

What a great design! My son and I built the first F22 3-ish years ago after seeing it done by the Flitetest crew.... every flight the nose came back looking like an accordian :black_eyed:

It's been a few years, and a few planes since, but I couldn't wait to get my hands on these plans. Absolutely perfect timing as my son now turns 14 on Tuesday, and I built this for him! He'll be thrilled. Thank you Josh and FT team!

What paint did you use? it looks great by the way!

dwardio

Full-up weight?

Ordered my kit, now ready to calc my power system...

Can anyone provide me the full-up weight with a 26g motor and 1300 3S?

Thanks!

Update: Found it on the plans (duh!)-- 8.3 oz w/o batt.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Ordered my kit, now ready to calc my power system...

Can anyone provide me the full-up weight with a 26g motor and 1300 3S?

Thanks!

Update: Found it on the plans (duh!)-- 8.3 oz w/o batt.
If you're going to answer all your own questions, you make our job that much easier! :p
Welcome to the forum!

Orcoz

What paint did you use? it looks great by the way!

Thanks Trippey! I used a light coat of Minwax Polycrylic applied with a foam brush, then 2 extremely light coats of Rust-oleum Metallic finish. The streaking you see coming through is from the Minwax under the paint.

For the canopy I just brushed on black AppleBarrel gloss from Walmart :p

I'll leave it as is and let the boy finish it out with tail emblems/stripes or whatever. Can't wait to see it maiden!

oz

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 24

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
image.jpg
I felt the need for SPEED!

2826-6 with a 4.5x5.5 prop, on a 4s 2000mah lipo. Screaming fast, but with a 10-15 min. mixed flight duration. It still floats in for landing power off, and at a 125mph pitch speed, it moves out! I'm guessing 110 MPH easily. Or, I can also fly with a 6x3 prop on 3 cells, and do some aerobatics no problem.
Great design Flitetest, it flies awesome!

Bolvon72

Mentor
Well, that was a bit too much motor. It was fairly windy out at my fathers house where I was showing off, the wind picked up, I put it into the wind and gunned it, cracked the front end clean off. Interestingly enough, I had the 2200 battery further back on the little shelf and it flew just fine without the nose. Just a warning, be sure to reinforce if you are going hot with this plane. I blew the canopy off on the first flight and was flying it open, that may have had something to do with it.

0118141347.jpg

Last edited:

Bolvon72

Mentor
View attachment 17483
I felt the need for SPEED!

2826-6 with a 4.5x5.5 prop, on a 4s 2000mah lipo. Screaming fast, but with a 10-15 min. mixed flight duration. It still floats in for landing power off, and at a 125mph pitch speed, it moves out! I'm guessing 110 MPH easily. Or, I can also fly with a 6x3 prop on 3 cells, and do some aerobatics no problem.
Great design Flitetest, it flies awesome!

That's the same motor I'm running. 6.5x4 on a 3s,

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I had a brief glitch at 1000' range and piled her in at around 90-95 mph. She was flying 5 min later.
Bolvon, I didn't even glue the nose on! How did yours come off?

This has to be the most precise foamy I have ever flown, even sans cockpit (cooling). I just fly it at WOT 2' off the deck most of the time. Unfortunately I did find the only bush in the field and damaged my right wing and fuse. It's still flyable, but I'm building another.

Bolvon72

Mentor
I had a brief glitch at 1000' range and piled her in at around 90-95 mph. She was flying 5 min later.
Bolvon, I didn't even glue the nose on! How did yours come off?

This has to be the most precise foamy I have ever flown, even sans cockpit (cooling). I just fly it at WOT 2' off the deck most of the time. Unfortunately I did find the only bush in the field and damaged my right wing and fuse. It's still flyable, but I'm building another.

I just had her full out and she started spiraling , I chopped throttle and as she flopped back towards me I saw the nose hanging, she plopped down like a broke-neck goose. I tossed her back up without the nose and flew the rest of the battery, I tried getting video but holding the phone while flying wasn't working too well. If I'm careful I should be able to cut the rest of the nose piece away and replace it, this time with carbon fiber inside along the cheeks.

This was about half throttle.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Ugh, v2 is under construction. V1 "landed" in a rocky area at around 90 MPH due to a radio lockout. I was using a slightly problematic Receiver which got more glitchy as the day went on. I was performing a high speed low altitude pass when it stopped responding, and slowly lost altitude and pancaked. I ripped the belly pan in half, crushed the nose, sheared the right wing off, and broke the prop. Not bad considering I landed at a scale speed of over Mach 1. :rolleyes:

Bolvon72

Mentor
Ugh, v2 is under construction. V1 "landed" in a rocky area at around 90 MPH due to a radio lockout. I was using a slightly problematic Receiver which got more glitchy as the day went on. I was performing a high speed low altitude pass when it stopped responding, and slowly lost altitude and pancaked. I ripped the belly pan in half, crushed the nose, sheared the right wing off, and broke the prop. Not bad considering I landed at a scale speed of over Mach 1. :rolleyes:

That'll cost you... a couple of bucks.

Freaky_1

old headcase
Waiting for someone to do a 225% build, move the motor to the side a little and put another beside it. Anyboy up?