FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

popo2000

By the way great plane to fly, I've build a similar plane a year ago but this one is much better looking. I am using a 1300 mA/h bat with a DST-1200 and 9X4.7 wind maker. Build it from planes under 4 hours and maiden it. But I have an issue left turns are great but right turns are really "pitchy" with wing drop and altitude. The plane is balanced on it axis. My previous F22 used a 1700kV blue wonder with a 7X3 blade could it be the torque from the new power setup?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It sounds like it might be torque. Double check your surfaces are straight and true and also check your lateral balance.

Last edited:

OrionOxotnik

FT-22 Domino

ft-22scratch.jpeg
It's a little rough around the edges, but only my second scratchbuild -- FT Versa was my first, from Elmers foam board (pricier than DT, but seems to be tougher and heavier). The Ft-22 was from DT foamboard (one sheet black, 2/3 of a sheet of white). Not sure if you can see the bamboo on the wing fronts. Don't know how well it will work, but I figured I'd give it a try. Maybe more decorations later, but I'd rather just get it in the air. Motor mount and a FT-22 speedbuild kit for my son should be in the mail. Not sure yet what motor I'll run, a hextronik 24G, blue wonder, or park 370 (stupid non-metric shaft), but will probably use 8x3.5 or 8x4 props, an 18A Plush and maybe my 2S 2200mah or if its too pokey, a 3S. I'm still trying to figure out power combos, so suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

Bolvon72

Mentor
It's a little rough around the edges, but only my second scratchbuild -- FT Versa was my first, from Elmers foam board (pricier than DT, but seems to be tougher and heavier). The Ft-22 was from DT foamboard (one sheet black, 2/3 of a sheet of white). Not sure if you can see the bamboo on the wing fronts. Don't know how well it will work, but I figured I'd give it a try. Maybe more decorations later, but I'd rather just get it in the air. Motor mount and a FT-22 speedbuild kit for my son should be in the mail. Not sure yet what motor I'll run, a hextronik 24G, blue wonder, or park 370 (stupid non-metric shaft), but will probably use 8x3.5 or 8x4 props, an 18A Plush and maybe my 2S 2200mah or if its too pokey, a 3S. I'm still trying to figure out power combos, so suggestions welcome.

Hunterhunter? 2S will not cut it with those motors, I made a second one with the 24g for my nephew to fly and a 2S 1000mAh took it straight to the ground, the weight of a 2200 would be worse. A 3S 850 carried it slowly. This was all with a 9x47.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
So, when are you gonna show us the big planes, Thurmond! lol

Sigh! I have been lax in my plane building activities. I went back to multi's for a while due to the small workspace that is heated I can work in in the Winter. My wife did authorize one room of the house as a "Workshop" for my activities and got me a new electronics workbench from Sams for Christmas so things are looking up for some bigger projects soon as I also have put in a Harbor Freight Woodworking bench. ;) I have finally made some progress on my micro versawing after waiting on Hobby King for nearly 2 months to send me some VERY SMALL servo's.
Looking at a 2 watt solid state laser 808nM head to attach to my shapeoko CNC to cut thin ply and foam.

Thurmond

Last edited:

OrionOxotnik

Thanks, Bolvon. I'll try it with the 3s.

> Hunterhunter?
You mean my handle? The constellation, Orion the Hunter. Nice and visible these days in the Winter sky.

Bolvon72

Mentor
> Hunterhunter?
You mean my handle? The constellation, Orion the Hunter. Nice and visible these days in the Winter sky.

I know, back in my younger days I went by the handle oxhotnik and I used a picture of the constellation as my avatar. Just a funny coincidence. You might recognize the misspelling of Bolvan.

Flynn

Looking good guys! I ordered mine on Sunday, can't wait but I'm gunna have to if I want to fly. We are expecting a very cold week ahead.

Here is a pic of mine. built and maidened today. Pretty windy so didn't get a great feel for it. running a 1300 3S, 24g Wonder from HK with a 9x4.7 I had from my quad. All in all flew pretty well. Like someone else mentioned, it was straight out the gate. I do need to pay attention to the recommended deflection. Just used the versa model i had programmed. I think it may need a bit more power. So may put the beef on this and then me 2826-6 on my versa wing. FT-22.jpg

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Could it be possible to add rudders and ailerons to the wings and vertical stabilizer?

Small planes generally don't like more control surfaces. It's not that they won't do anything, it's that they don't do much. The ailerons seem like it would be more work, and more weight due to the servos, without any change in how it flies. The rudder might not do enough to be worth it. But I think the rudder would still be worth a try. The ailerons just seem redundant.

dlaxer74

Small planes generally don't like more control surfaces. It's not that they won't do anything, it's that they don't do much. The ailerons seem like it would be more work, and more weight due to the servos, without any change in how it flies. The rudder might not do enough to be worth it. But I think the rudder would still be worth a try. The ailerons just seem redundant.
Ok thanks I'm still fairly new to the hobby and I was just wondering if it would work well

Rukie

HI guys, besides from being new here, I am new to scratch building. Can I build this exact model out of EPP?

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
HI guys, besides from being new here, I am new to scratch building. Can I build this exact model out of EPP?

You should be able to. EPP can be a little too flexible so you'd probably want to stiffen up the wings around the prop slot with some wooden dowels or Popsicle sticks. If the EPP doesn't have any paper on it, you might want to use packing tape to cover the EPP to help stiffen it.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I agree -- floppy but should be good.

I'd go with 9mm for the bottom plate and sides, and wings/nose/surfaces out of 5mm. could go all 9mm if that's what your source has, all 5mm will need a lot more CF stiffeners.

I'd recomend a 2-3 mm spar along the back of the slot and out on the wings, a 0.5-1mm rod about 2-3mm behind the Leading Edge (curved to follow the LE), and a 0.5-1mm rod on each control surface, about 1-2cm back from the hinge. Each of these should end about 3-6mm short of the edges

The bottom plate out of thicker foam should go a long way toward stiffening things up, but if it feels floppy nose-to-tail, a 2-3mm spar down each side support should fix that.

I'd skip the tape -- it's great for depron/DTFB, but it doesn't add enough stiffness for the added weight IMO. as always YMMV.

Of course you could replace all the CF with dowel about twice the diameter, but if you're going through the trouble to source EPP, pick up the CF while you're at it and you'll be happier with the overall build.

Rukie

You should be able to. EPP can be a little too flexible so you'd probably want to stiffen up the wings around the prop slot with some wooden dowels or Popsicle sticks. If the EPP doesn't have any paper on it, you might want to use packing tape to cover the EPP to help stiffen it.

Hi! I'm kinda worried that I might need to do some mods to the plan since Ill be using 10mm epp and the plans are I think 5mm depron.