FT-22 Raptor - BUILD

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
you'll need to cut the notches wider and the tabs longer, to match the 10mm width, but otherwise it should be fine. should be pretty stout at 10mm.

The folds on the nose won't quite be the same, but that's the only area specifically using the paper for forming the structure.

jfly77

I would go with the dx6i. I just bought one a month ago after months of debating. Love the 10 model memory, now all I want to do is keep buying planes to fill it up. Lots of features like expo which at first I was ughh but once you understand and use it, it really helps.

gilsegev

Raptor maiden with 2826-6 2200kv motor

Here is a video I took of my F22 Raptor maiden flight. Built it with 2826-6 2200kv motor (way overpowered :) ), 6x4 prop, 40A ESC, 2200mah battery.
It flew FAST and crashed magnificently :cool:

Sorry for the bad framing in the vid - was a hat-cam..

OverCraft

hello,

I want to make this plane, and get everything from hobbyking. I dont want to use the 2826-6 2200kv, because I want to make it very cheap, and i dont want to use bigger esc and batteries.

I want to use a 1000 mah zippy compact 3s 25C, and the F30A esc. What motor and props from hobbyking could I use? and how many time could I fly?

Bolvon72

Mentor
hello,

I want to make this plane, and get everything from hobbyking. I dont want to use the 2826-6 2200kv, because I want to make it very cheap, and i dont want to use bigger esc and batteries.

I want to use a 1000 mah zippy compact 3s 25C, and the F30A esc. What motor and props from hobbyking could I use? and how many time could I fly?

If you already have the 30amp, this would work well: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12916__D2822_14_Brushless_Outrunner_1450kv.html I had mentioned another, but it's recommended volts were too low for your battery. hence the edit.

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I modeled it in Ecalc, and it looks like a 7x5 or 7x6 prop would work great, at an amp draw of only 9 or 10 amps.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Go for the APC style 7x6, it's a really good prop.
As long as you are under 700 grams/19 oz you should fly great!

OverCraft

Go for the APC style 7x6, it's a really good prop.
As long as you are under 700 grams/19 oz you should fly great!
It is half of that even with battery. Ordered, lets make one!
The cool thing about this low setup is that you can make the full plane by 55$ (everything, foam + motor + battery + ecs + servo .. everything) So well, if you destroy it, it is not bad as crash a 200$ plane.

Flynn

It is half of that even with battery. Ordered, lets make one!
The cool thing about this low setup is that you can make the full plane by 55$ (everything, foam + motor + battery + ecs + servo .. everything) So well, if you destroy it, it is not bad as crash a 200$ plane.

Exactly! I've used the same motor/esc/2servos/receiver/pushrods/battery in 3 different planes now. And that's the bulk of the cost.

Bolvon72

Mentor
Too much fun, I charged my camera and took 'er back out this morning, nice and chilly. I got a couple of nice passes, some vertical, a nice high speed crash, and a sweet smooth glide in. Good day all around.

kristopherkane

Would someone mind taking a picture of the electronics mounted inside?

This is my first build and have only owned the HobbyZone Champ/Duet. I don't know the details on the electronics but I think it will be easy enough. Purchasing the Phoenix flight slim tomorrow that comes with the Spektrum Dx5e transmitter and intend on using that for the F22 build as well.

So, with that transmitter, I can just get a 3-channel Spektrum receiver correct? Was also thinking that I might be able to use the Spektrum 4-Channel transmitter that comes with the HobbyZone Champ. Is that possible?

Thanks,

-Kris

Bolvon72

Mentor
Would someone mind taking a picture of the electronics mounted inside?

This is my first build and have only owned the HobbyZone Champ/Duet. I don't know the details on the electronics but I think it will be easy enough. Purchasing the Phoenix flight slim tomorrow that comes with the Spektrum Dx5e transmitter and intend on using that for the F22 build as well.

So, with that transmitter, I can just get a 3-channel Spektrum receiver correct? Was also thinking that I might be able to use the Spektrum 4-Channel transmitter that comes with the HobbyZone Champ. Is that possible?

Thanks,

-Kris

You can't use the Champ Tx for elevons, The DX5e will do fine. Any Spektrum receiver will bind to either one though.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
You can't use the Champ Tx for elevons, The DX5e will do fine. Any Spektrum receiver will bind to either one though.

Problem with that is the champ electronics is a brick -- servo and *brushed* speed controller are built in. kristopherkane will need to pick up an RX, servos and speed controller to get it to work.

. . . now a half sized FT22 . . . or would that be an FT11?