Help! FT 22 raptor

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Can I use 1045 propeller for ft 22 raptor with 1400 kV 2212 motor?

Welcome to the forums!

A 10x4.5 propeller will work with the motor, the only problem is that a prop that size won't fit in the slot on the F-22 unless you made it bigger. I'm not sure what that will do to the structural rigidity of the airplane though.

Another thing to worry about when using such a big prop is torque roll, especially during takeoff. A torque roll is where the torque from the motor and propeller are too great for the airplane to handle well. When you give sudden power, the airplane will roll to the right or left depending on which way the motor is spinning. This happens alot during takeoff because you're almost at full throttle.

If you have a smaller prop like a 8x5 or 9x4.5 I would go with that.

Hope this helps!

Jeremy

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have done a handful of FT-22 Raptors and they are a great airframe to work with. The CG is pretty much anywhere you want it to be depending on how you want to fly it and it will take a good amount of weight as long as you fly fast enough. On mine i did do a double layer KFm wing to strengthen it up and create a bit more lift. As for your motor selection it is perfect for the Raptor. It will give you a nice wide flight envelope depending on prop selection. I had one up to a 3536 1200kv spinning an 8x8 at one point, man was it fast. Overkill, yes, but fun, also yes.
20191020_190145.jpg

This is the last one I built with the STEM Alpha nose on the 22 body, This looked so good in the air and was the big motor speed machine. Here is some footage of my second build of the Raptor, check it out...

Suffice to say though a 10" prop will not fit, a 9" just clears, carefully. That size of motor is usually rated to perform well with 8" props so you should stick with that and adjust the pitch accordingly. More pitch equals more speed but less thrust/torque at lower rpm/airspeed generally. Welcome to the forums, good luck on the build, and keep us posted on the progress. Make sure to get video of the maiden or it didn't happen :ROFLMAO:

danskis

Master member
What battleaxe said - It actually may be faster with the smaller prop...also more flight time and a smaller esc. Also, unless you use a watt meter to check your current draw you could end up burning up your esc by drawing too many amps. Start with the smaller prop and work your way up. I ended up hot glueing and zip tying my 40A esc to the bottom of my F22 so it would be in the airstream and get better cooling. I use a Xing 2207 2750kv motor with a 40 amp esc drawing 33 amps at full load with a 6X5.5 prop. If your not sure what that means start with a smaller prop. I also recommend the KF airfoil. I ran mine from the leading edge back to the back of the slot....straight across the wing. It made the wing stiffer and stronger. If you want pics let me know. Its a little hard to see but my KF wing looks a lot like battleaxes in the above pic.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
What battleaxe said - It actually may be faster with the smaller prop...also more flight time and a smaller esc. Also, unless you use a watt meter to check your current draw you could end up burning up your esc by drawing too many amps. Start with the smaller prop and work your way up. I ended up hot glueing and zip tying my 40A esc to the bottom of my F22 so it would be in the airstream and get better cooling. I use a Xing 2207 2750kv motor with a 40 amp esc drawing 33 amps at full load with a 6X5.5 prop. If your not sure what that means start with a smaller prop. I also recommend the KF airfoil. I ran mine from the leading edge back to the back of the slot....straight across the wing. It made the wing stiffer and stronger. If you want pics let me know. Its a little hard to see but my KF wing looks a lot like battleaxes in the above pic.
That KFm wing does wonders on that little hot rod. Those motors must rip in the 22. Are you using 3s or 4s? Do you have any vids of it?

I was looking into those Xing 2207 2750kv motors. I wanted to use them in Mini warbirds and use 2s and 3s like people use 3s and 4s. My theory was a higher Kv would make up for the lack of volts. And using a 6x3 prop max would keep the amps below 30 on say a Mini Mustang. Thoughts?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Can one of you guys post some detailed pics of your KFm mods for the FT22?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Can one of you guys post some detailed pics of your KFm mods for the FT22?
Absolutely
Bottom layer laid out, there is a skewer spar wrapped and imbedded into the FB along the lateral line either side of the power pod/front of the slot, out to the leading edges. Other then that the pics are worth a thousand words
20190923_105409.jpg
20190920_213616.jpg

20190921_102043.jpg

There are another handful of mods i did to this to etch out the cool and fast factor, my forth one is in a previous post

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
@BATTLEAXE Thanks! Do you have a list or pics of the other mods? I'm thinking of creating plans with some of the mods incorporated. Sorf of an unofficial F-22 v2.0.

danskis

Master member
I preface this whole thing by saying I don't have nearly the experience of either of you guys - been building and flying for about a year and I'm a slow builder. I built the mini 22 first and what I didn't like was its size and weak point of where the cockpit meets the wing - snaps off there on the first nose in. The first full size 22 was similar to the one pictured here except it did have the lower boxed in section (air intake scoops) but they were only about 10mm below the top wing. It flew well. The one pictured here is not dialed yet and my electronics knowledge is poor. I'm using a 700mah battery and with the Xing motor and a 7X5prop 3s gets it moving pretty good. sorry no video. Mixed flight time may be 4 minutes. With the 6X5.5 on 4s its moving - vertical till you can't see it. Flight time is 2+ minutes maxing at 33amps. Problem areas: If the prop lands in the vertical position it stresses the firewall from the bottom - use a smaller prop or reinforce the with wood - the nose still tends to break off where it meets the wing - not sure what to do here as I've already reinforced it a lot with skeweres and popsickle sticks - I don't like the elevon hinges as they are hard to get "tight" - I think I'll use the regular flight test hinges by making the elevons 2 piece by incorporating the hinge on the main wing and adding the rest of the elevon to the hinge part. This platform looks and flys great and is easy to make - I can't imagine not having one in the hangar.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I preface this whole thing by saying I don't have nearly the experience of either of you guys - been building and flying for about a year and I'm a slow builder. I built the mini 22 first and what I didn't like was its size and weak point of where the cockpit meets the wing - snaps off there on the first nose in. The first full size 22 was similar to the one pictured here except it did have the lower boxed in section (air intake scoops) but they were only about 10mm below the top wing. It flew well. The one pictured here is not dialed yet and my electronics knowledge is poor. I'm using a 700mah battery and with the Xing motor and a 7X5prop 3s gets it moving pretty good. sorry no video. Mixed flight time may be 4 minutes. With the 6X5.5 on 4s its moving - vertical till you can't see it. Flight time is 2+ minutes maxing at 33amps. Problem areas: If the prop lands in the vertical position it stresses the firewall from the bottom - use a smaller prop or reinforce the with wood - the nose still tends to break off where it meets the wing - not sure what to do here as I've already reinforced it a lot with skeweres and popsickle sticks - I don't like the elevon hinges as they are hard to get "tight" - I think I'll use the regular flight test hinges by making the elevons 2 piece by incorporating the hinge on the main wing and adding the rest of the elevon to the hinge part. This platform looks and flys great and is easy to make - I can't imagine not having one in the hangar.
Try a 3 blade prop, you might have to go down to a 5" with that size of motor or you will risk getting close to or going over 40amps. But the 5x4.5x3 will give you the thrust as the 2 blade but you get less prop hanging underneath the plane on belly landings

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE Thanks! Do you have a list or pics of the other mods? I'm thinking of creating plans with some of the mods incorporated. Sorf of an unofficial F-22 v2.0.
Yea I do
I leaned in the side walls for the intakes to have a F-22 profile, they did have to move out a little near the slot to fit the lean in but not noticeable compared to the original, maybe a few mm's
20190923_200253.jpg
20190924_101229.jpg

The walls are also taller to bring the wing up the fuse closer to line of thrust, plus it looks more scale.

In one version I tapered the nose in on the sides...
20190924_210622.jpg

Then I went all out and just used the nose from the STEM Series at 122% upscale to complete the look of the diamond profile of the cockpit and nose area on the last version. If you take a look closely at the elevon hinge line, you can see it crosses in front of the motor and turns 90 degrees into a cut through to make almost a stabilizer. You can see it on the last.
20191019_132046.jpg

Plus the top mounted pull to positive servos
20191020_190145.jpg

This one flew the best, faster and more responsive. There were a couple of other small mods to the pod to fit larger motors.
Here is a vid if this helps