FT 3D Maiden = Disaster

mkoutnik

I normally fly heli's, but I've been flying a UM T-28 and Multiplex EasyStar for the past 2 summer's with great results. So, recently I decided to build a FT Baby Blender and FT 3D. I maidened the 3D last week (via hand launch) and it spun (left aileron) completely out of control and dove nose first in the dirt breakling a prop. Bought a new prop, and launched again, it did the same exact thing, but this time it went farther, but destroyed the airframe. I'm using the suggested set-up and I'm using expo and dual rates.

I'm currently building another 3D, but now I'm compeltely nervous to maiden it because I don't know what I'm doing wrong? Likewise, I haven't maidened the Baby Blender...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
MK,

I know it's too late for the 3D, but did you try a glide test?

Before you beat up your blender, load it out (minus a prop -- don't want to break it if you're not gonna use it) and balance, then chuck it hard like a glider, and control it down. If it's trim or allignment, it would be glaringly obvious in a glide. If it's prop torque on launch, you're glide would be smooth, but the moment power was applied you'd have to fight a diving roll.

Allignment requires adjusing or rebuilding the airframe to make it all straight again.

Torque roll can be managed by starting at mid throttle and easing up to max as needed, or adjusting it out with left/right thrust angle.

mkoutnik

Pretty sure...when the aileron stick is moved to the left, the left aileron deflects up and the right aileron deflects down...

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Load it out just means to set it up like you're flying, everything onboard and powered up, except for the prop if you choose to leave that off. Make sure the CG is where it's supposed to be or even just a tiny bit forward of recommended! For a glide test, give it a hard chuck aimed right at the horizon or just below. Do not chuck it upwards! Throwing upwards with no power/throttle will quickly stall it and at that low altitude and low speed, it will dive right back into the ground. Be ready to give some minor elevator controls or possibly some aileron. Of course, if it's available, a large area with some taller grass is ideal for glide tests as it cushions the landing in case of a mishap.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks Xuzme,

Level throw and soft surface . . . knew I forgot to mention something :black_eyed:

MK,

Sorry, not as much your ignorance as much as me being vauge -- I shouldn't expect you to know the slang while I'm describing a setup test. Good call on clarifying. Wouldn't want my advice to break your BB!

BTW, Welcome to the forum! feel free to drop by the flight school (now under lessons learned) and "Say Hi!"

Let us know how it turns out, and feel free to ask if you've got any more questions!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks Xuzme,

Level throw and soft surface . . . knew I forgot to mention something :black_eyed:

MK,

Sorry, not as much your ignorance as much as me being vauge -- I shouldn't expect you to know the slang while I'm describing a setup test. Good call on clarifying. Wouldn't want my advice to break your BB!

BTW, Welcome to the forum! feel free to drop by the flight school (now under lessons learned) and "Say Hi!"

Let us know how it turns out, and feel free to ask if you've got any more questions!
No worries, Dan. Heck, it's why we're a community, right? One thing I forgot is if you do have the tall grass available, leave off the landing gear. Just belly land it until you get everything else sorted out.

ad_skyraider

On my first flight of my FT-3D I had accidentally reversed my elevator servo (corrected on transmitter and then reversed it later on the OrangeRX 3 axis gyro). Never bothered to look hard enough after to see if things are going the right way. Well, I had a great hand launch and then the immediate lawn dart to the ground. Broke the prop and pushed the power pod 1 - 1/2 inches further into the plane. I fixed everything the next evening and then did a proper maiden a couple of days later.

So far about a half dozen flights on the FT-3D and I am starting to test my limited 3D capabilities. I fly with the gyro turned off because it restricts my inputs.

The motor is the "Beef" but I think it lacks power. Investigating other reasonably priced options.

Flynn

After breaking some prop on the Baby Blender, I started using a Prop Saver. works great for my rough "Landings"