Solved Ft-3D prop

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hey guys! I’ve been flying my ft-3D with the old power pack C with 9x5 prop and it is working really well, but I want to get some APC props for better durability. I’m going to get the recommended 10x4.7 props, but I’m also going to get 9x6 and 10x6 props. I was wondering what it would be like to fly it off of a 11x4.7 prop. Has anyone used their c pack with an 11 inch prop? Did it overheat? How would it affect the 3D performance? Thanks!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
My favorite combo is the Turnigy 3730 or 3537 motor with a 12x3.8sf prop. Unlimited vertical & will hover @ 40% throttle.

L Edge

Master member
In order to do top 3D performance, the prop is king. One of your problems is the pitch you want. Worst of all 3D flying is hovering. I mention you will end up having a bag of props to explore what is best. APC props are the top in design, they always give you data. Been using their props sine the 80's in pylon racing. Their 3D is always good with either a 3/8 SF or a 4/7SF in all sizes and what sometime works is a WSF which is a wide SF prop.
Dia vary from 7 on up.
I have a Ucando with a 12 inch wide SF and it will climb and go nose down at the same speed. Just what you need for 3D, consistant speed. Until I got the wide, the plane was a dog.

Using 6 pitch is just to much for 3 d, that is meant for speed. You want a slow movement to get consistancy.

Go to the sight to see the range of pitches that might work for you.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So they didn’t have any 10.47 props in stock, so I grabbed a 10x6 that can be used in most of my planes as well as a 11x4.7 to use on the ft-3D. I also picked up a 6x4 prop for the @Headbang eaf edge. I wanted a 6x3 but this was the smallest pitch 6 inch they had unfortunately...

Headbang

Master member
Hey guys! I’ve been flying my ft-3D with the old power pack C with 9x5 prop and it is working really well, but I want to get some APC props for better durability. I’m going to get the recommended 10x4.7 props, but I’m also going to get 9x6 and 10x6 props. I was wondering what it would be like to fly it off of a 11x4.7 prop. Has anyone used their c pack with an 11 inch prop? Did it overheat? How would it affect the 3D performance? Thanks!
In my tests with the stock old c pack 2215 on 3s anything bigger then 10x4.7 causes the motor to get scorching hot. 9x6 is about max and works well, 10x6 gets things too hot and the motor struggles to keep the rpm up.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
In my tests with the stock old c pack 2215 on 3s anything bigger then 10x4.7 causes the motor to get scorching hot. 9x6 is about max and works well, 10x6 gets things too hot and the motor struggles to keep the rpm up.
It looks like I just bought props for the radial c pack I hope to get soon... I’ll probably try them and keep an close eye on the temps. After a hard flying session with the 9x5 prop the motor not even warm.

Headbang

Master member
It looks like I just bought props for the radial c pack I hope to get soon... I’ll probably try them and keep an close eye on the temps. After a hard flying session with the 9x5 prop the motor not even warm.
My tests are all done on apc props, and not slow fly.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I don't recommend getting props too large, the effect of gyroscopic procession is increased and you don't get an immediete sense of thrust when you throttle up.

moret

I am running a radial C pack on 4S. I had to drop to a 9 X 4.5 or 4.7 prop. Motor still get very warm. I let it cool between flights if I am pushing it.
I also now run a 45 amp ESC. The 30 amp C pack ESC started cutting out on me. Motor and controls at different times.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So I flew it on a 10x4.7 slow fly today and the motor was a little warm, but totally fine to touch. It felt good cause it was cold out😂 I plan on trying the APC 11x4.7 slow fly maybe tomorrow but I’m really happy with the 10x4.7 today. They pair nicely👍