FT-3D, Pun Jet & Viggen ready for maiden

sstokes1971

My current FT line-up ready for maiden. Wanted to get some before pics in case they don't return in the same condition. All the plans were plotted and manually cut out of Adams (Dollar Tree/DG) foam board. The FT-3D is actually my second build for that plane. Tried flying the first one on a DX5e Tx that has no expo settings. Even on low rates, didn't turn out so well. I now have a DX6. Hopefully that will work better. FT-22 and Versa Wing are next on the build list.
ftplanes.jpg

FT-3D has similar paint scheme to an Sbach 342. Thought these colors would look good on the FT-3D. It was painted entirely with Krylon spray cans (no Minwax) with several very light coats of paint to keep the paper from delaminating. Should be easy to see. Bottom is solid black. I think I'm going to add the FT wheel pants and maybe larger wheels. Electronics are all what FT recommends. Prop is 8x4. Also has a steerable tail wheel and a 2" spinner.
ft3d-1.jpg
ft3d-2.jpg
ft3d-4.jpg

The FT Pun Jet kind of reminds me of a Curtiss XP-55. The plane was Minwaxed before painting. Thought chrome would look cool. Not the easiest paint to use on foam board. Always has a "dusty" coating of chrome residue. Airbrushed a few panel lines. Decals were ink jet printed on matte photo paper, sprayed with Testor's decal bonder, then glued to plane. They stick remarkable well. Orientation stripes on bottom are just red duct tape. Motor is Mini Motor X2204 v2 2300KV from RTF Quads, prop is 6x3 and servos are from a E-flite Blade SR heli (parts are about all that heli is good for).
ftpunjet-1.jpg
ftpunjet-2.jpg
ftpunjet-3.jpg
ftpunjet-4.jpg

FT Viggen was Minwaxed first and then painted entirely with an airbrush and a lot of masking tape, with the exception of the canopy windows and vertical stabilizer which were done with spray cans. I let the airframe sit in the humid garage a while before applying Minwax so the paper started to delaminate in a few places. But nothing too bad. Decals were done the same as the Pun Jet. EDF/ESC/servos are the 64mm power pack from Grayson Hobbies. 70mm was backordered and I didn't want to wait for it. Hope it's not too underpowered. AUW with a 2200mah 3S battery is 668g.
ftviggen-1.jpg
ftviggen-5.jpg
ftviggen-2.jpg
ftviggen-3.jpg

Last edited:

Povvercrazy

Very nice looking planes, actually too nice to risk flying for me :)
How about a nice afterburner led set for the viggen ??
I really like the chrome punjet looks fantastic
Good job!

sstokes1971

Very nice looking planes, actually too nice to risk flying for me :)
How about a nice afterburner led set for the viggen ??
I really like the chrome punjet looks fantastic
Good job!

Thanks! A little nervous myself. I enjoy the builds as much as the flying :) Afterburner would be cool. Might give that a try after the maiden.

sstokes1971

I really like the panel lines you have painted on there. how did you do that?

I just used a scrap piece of paper as a straight edge and lightly misted flat black over the edge with an airbrush. Doesn't take a lot of paint to get the result.