FT 3D - Scratch Build

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Learn how to scratch build your very own foam board 3D FT RC Airplane. This is an advanced swappable plane, featuring full airfoil tapered wings.

FT 3D Build Plans Available Here::
FT 3D - Swappable [ FULL SIZE ]
FT 3D - Swappable [ TILED ]

TIP for printing the plans "TILED":
To print "tiled" use Adobe Reader X and in the print dialog select "POSTER", select "Cut Marks" and make sure "Tile Scale" is 100%. Then overlap and tape as required (after trimming the top overlapping edge).
(Thanks youtuber larrybarrick for this suggestion!)

Click HERE to see the POWER POD BUILD VIDEO

Equipment used in this build:NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
Hextronic 9 Gram Servo
TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed ControllerFT Firewall
FT Control horns
1 mm piano wire (push rods)

Additional/Alternate components:
Suppo 2208/14 1450kv Brushless Motor (Park 370 equiv.)
APC-style Electric Propeller - 8x4E
Suppo 18A Brushless ESC
Suppo SP-90 9g Micro Servo

ft 3d build -6.jpg ft 3d build -5.jpg ft 3d build -4.jpg ft 3d build -1.jpg ft 3d build -2.jpg ft 3d build -3.jpg ft 3d build -12.jpg ft 3d build -7.jpg ft 3d build -8.jpg ft 3d build -10.jpg ft 3d build -11.jpg ft 3d build -9.jpg ft 3d build -19.jpg ft 3d build -20.jpg ft 3d build -21.jpg ft 3d build -18.jpg ft 3d build -13.jpg ft 3d build - 16-1.jpg ft 3d build -14.jpg ft 3d build -17.jpg ft 3d build -15.jpg ft 3d build -16.jpg ft 3d build -22.jpg ft 3d build -23.jpg ft 3d build -24.jpg ft 3d build - 27.jpg ft 3d build - 25.jpg
ft 3d build - 26.jpg

FT 3D Build Plans Available Here:
FT 3D Swappable Plans 1-of-3 FUSELAGE
FT 3D Swappable Plans 2-of-3 TAIL
FT-3D-Swappable-PLANS-3-of-3 WINGS

TIP for printing the plans "TILED":
To print "tiled" use Adobe Reader X and in the print dialog select "POSTER", select "Cut Marks" and make sure "Tile Scale" is 100%. Then overlap and tape as required (after trimming the top overlapping edge).
(Thanks youtuber larrybarrick for this suggestion!)

Click HERE to see the POWER POD BUILD VIDEO

Equipment used in this build:NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
Hextronic 9 Gram Servo
TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed ControllerFT Firewall
FT Control horns
1 mm piano wire (push rods)

Additional/Alternate components:
Suppo 2208/14 1450kv Brushless Motor (Park 370 equiv.)
APC-style Electric Propeller - 8x4E
Suppo 18A Brushless ESC
Suppo SP-90 9g Micro Servo

doron1604

Thank you flitetest!!!

It seems like the Speed Build & Swappable electronics and component list does not fit the FT 3D.

The wings plan is missing as well.

Todd K

Looking forward to building this one. Can you tell us the exact electronics on this one? It seems like the electronics can be a bit different from one swappable to the next.

...yes, wing? :p

Thank again for an a great plane my son and I can play with.

Last edited:

Josh Bixler

Thank you flitetest!!!

It seems like the Speed Build & Swappable electronics and component list does not fit the FT 3D.

The wings plan is missing as well.

Hello friend!

There are 2 power set-ups for the swappables. We linked to the wrong one. The FT 3D flies on the same motor as the baby blender. We will have the links fixed shortly. The wing plans should be up now.

Thanks everyone for your interest in the swappables, and for this fun little plane!

JB

rogerjiangcf

Great as always but may your guys include the recommended cells for lipo and the prop size in the website since we need these info to buy the correct product from HobbyKing. Thank you very much.

nunieboy

hi guys. I'm very new to rc and i was just wondering. On their previous power pod build, they had a smaller motor... will that be ok to use here or should i go ahead and get a bigger motor so that i can eventually upgrade to the upcoming builds

Gremlo

Almost done! I just need the Balsa spar! 11:45PM halting point. its been a joyous night!

Thanks to Joshua Bixler for an amazing build so far. and Flite test for feeding my addiction.

Also what was the height and width on that spar again?

Attachments

• FT 3D.jpg
    FT 3D.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 103

strows

hi guys. I'm very new to rc and i was just wondering. On their previous power pod build, they had a smaller motor... will that be ok to use here or should i go ahead and get a bigger motor so that i can eventually upgrade to the upcoming builds

You most definitely need to upgrade for this plane.

baronbernie

The other planes were not as heavy so a larger motor would be a safe bet. A Suppo 2208/14 1450kv Brushless Motor (Park 370 equiv.) is suggested by flite test.

randall_l

Thanks to the Flitetest team for getting the plans up.

I might just butt this one in line after my Gee Bee R3 swappable.

Cheers!
Randall

BlakeL

Looks like a great plane! My skill level isn't quite there yet but when I get better I'll defiantly be building one of these. I can't wait till you start selling Cruzr speed kits.

solarflash

FT 3D

I think I missed it, but did anyone catch the size of the balsa wing joiners? I am going out to get the plans printed and want to pick up the balsa stick, if I don't already have one of suitable size.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
This is a guess but it looks to be the size of one of the "spar" pieces of foamboard.

Thurmond

serial0l0

"Say what again..."
Almost done! I just need the Balsa spar! 11:45PM halting point. its been a joyous night!

Thanks to Joshua Bixler for an amazing build so far. and Flite test for feeding my addiction.

Also what was the height and width on that spar again?

Nice job Gremlo. I too am curious about the size of the balsa spar. I just ordered all the parts to complete this build even though i have never done a scratch build. I bought 15 sheets of foam board to allow for mistakes. I hope that's enough! ;)

edit://

This is a guess but it looks to be the size of one of the "spar" pieces of foamboard.

Thurmond

Good point!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I went back and looked at the video. It looks like the balsa spar is about 12" long.

Thurmond