FT 3D - Scratch Build

solarflash

I just looked again also, and Josh said it is 10" long. Guess I'll have to wait until I get my plans printed to get the width of the foam spars, I'm pretty sure the thickness will be as close as I can get to the foam spars....Off to the print shop.......

Gremlo

Just finished building mine. Looks awesome! Im so excited to fly it! hopefully the rain will stop by sunday so i can have a maiden!

baronbernie

Hi Everyone! Has anyone tried to add the tailwheel to the rudder? I would like to do this but have no idea on just how to do this, the size or where to purchase one from? :confused:

Baron

Gremlo

your local hobby shop should sell tiny foam wheels. Just match the wheel hole to a piece of piano wire at the shop too and then just bend it up!!

Bolvon72

Mentor
Got up early to maiden the FT3D, she handles great, but a 3D pilot I am not. just some loops, rolls, and inverted for this flight. Still a lot of fun.

2013-03-02 07.44.15.jpg

Thanks Josh, Chad Aaron and all involved for all the work to make these builds so easy.

(Edit) A couple of alibis on my build process, lacking a source for balsa within 45 miles I used pine lattice cut to fit for the spar, worked great, just a couple of grams heavier. It did not affect the flight. 1 inch by 10. I also had some difficulty with the mounting of the second wing. I put the hot glue between the foam spars before sliding it in, which softened them and made it very difficult to run them into the fuse. If, as I am prone to do, destroy this one, I will put the glue directly on the wood spar then slide it on. I probably used too much glue. Other than that, went together great and taught me a lot of new techniques.

Last edited:

RadioControlledNL

this is maybe a dumb question but I can't find the answer.
how many thrust has the motor you guys use?
and what's the weight of the plane with and without the battery?

we want to build this plane too, but we have to buy the electronics at our local hobbyshop.
else we need to pay al lot of shipping cost's

RadioControlledNL

sorry if our english isn't right

Gremlo

I also just got back from my maiden flight!! this thing flies great!!! inverted flatspins like a dream! also torque rolls like a boss!! flat turns just like david said... but alas the fun ended with my motor bearings going!! i had bought a cheap motor from HK and cheap was right!! oh well ill get a reliable one from my LHS!

Thanks Josh! i just sold my $150 micro 3D because this thing is AWESOME!!!

Borneoben

Hi Guys

Great thread i am looking forward to building this.
Myself and a couple buddies have decided to have our own little build off and use this is the basis!

I have looked and looked but cant see what the recommended size for the lipo is? The power module shows 500mah but that seems pretty small.
I will be using 3s with an 8x4 prop.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Ben

Gremlo

Hi Guys

Great thread i am looking forward to building this.
Myself and a couple buddies have decided to have our own little build off and use this is the basis!

I have looked and looked but cant see what the recommended size for the lipo is? The power module shows 500mah but that seems pretty small.
I will be using 3s with an 8x4 prop.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben,

I am using a 2200Mah I talk about it in my review video. I also tried a 2700Mah and that worked too, both were 3s batteries.

Borneoben

Thats bigger than i expected but i am glad to hear it as i have loads of 3s2200 batteries

I bet you get looong flight times as well.

Cheers

Ben

Borneoben

Finished my FT 3D this evening, but i am a little worried about the weight.

My plane has turned out about 700grams ready to fly with 3s 2200

So what size and power motors are you guys running?

I have a CF2822 1200kv motor that i wanted to use but the max thrust is about 850grams / 30Oz
with a 9x5 prop.

This isnt enough for 3D!

So what weights are you guys seeing and what motor / prop combos and power to weight rations are you guys using?

Cheers

Ben

Onebladeprop

finished mine off today. running a DST-1200 and 10x3.8 prop. weight is
460g empty
580g 1300mah3s
660g 2200mah3s

I covered it in colored packing tape. It looks good and makes the planes more durable. Speaking of which I nosed it in once. you could hear the motor cry in pain. But I wiped the mud of put a new prop on and flew. I was trying to run the swappables on a basic CT-6B transmitter. I may have to move this one to my 9x to really fly it well. It is an awesome $3 plane :)

Attachments

• IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 97

jackedman

I have a CF2822 1200kv motor that i wanted to use but the max thrust is about 850grams / 30Oz
with a 9x5 prop.

This isnt enough for 3D!

So what weights are you guys seeing and what motor / prop combos and power to weight rations are you guys using?

Cheers

Ben

I have that CF2822 motor in a few planes and it should take that weight up it to a 10 and you should be ok. Ill double check for sure what size prop i was using but it has loads of power for the price. I used that motor in a park zone cub made to 4 channel and with floats, it flew like a champ off the water.

Chubbs

with a 9x5 prop.

This isnt enough for 3D!

Just curious, but why the need for a 2200mah battery? do you just have a bunch laying around, or do you have a need for 30 minute flights?

I have the exact same CF2822 1200kv motor with a 9x4.7 prop that I use in my swappable pod. With a 1300mah 3S battery it will keep my baby blender in the air for a solid 15 minutes, and it has plenty to spare. Performance is great, though it's a slow plane anyways.

I'm expecting to maiden my FT3D tomorrow, I planned on using the same 1300mah batteries. I can probably get at least 10 minutes of hard 3d flying out of it (well, as hard as I know how to do)...I might even go down to 1000mah batteries for better performance/less weight.

If all you have is 2200mah batteries, the FT3d should fly with them, but it won't be a 3d plane. That's just way too much weight for the motor to haul around in my opinion.

Borneoben

Yeah i have a bunch of 3s 2200's lying around!

So you will be flying the FT3D with the same power system as your Baby Blender with the CF2822 9x4.7 and 3s 1300?
What size ESC i plan on using 20amp.

I look forward to your flight report.

I think i will try and get some smaller batteries. 10 minute flights would be more than enough!

I have also just built another FT3D with some different materials and its 120 grams lighter now.
Havent finished installing the electronics yet so havent got a final weight

Cheers

Ben

jackedman

Yeah i have a bunch of 3s 2200's lying around!

So you will be flying the FT3D with the same power system as your Baby Blender with the CF2822 9x4.7 and 3s 1300?
What size ESC i plan on using 20amp.

I look forward to your flight report.

I think i will try and get some smaller batteries. 10 minute flights would be more than enough!

I have also just built another FT3D with some different materials and its 120 grams lighter now.
Havent finished installing the electronics yet so havent got a final weight

Cheers

Ben

That esc should be more then enought for that motor. Im running a 18-20 with my motor in my other planes