FT 3D - Speed Build Kit

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

The FT 3D Swappable Speed Build Kit is now available in our store!

FT 3D swap - 21.jpg FT 3D swap - 4.jpg FT 3D swap - 3.jpg FT 3D swap - 5.jpg FT 3D swap - 7.jpg FT 3D swap - 2.jpg FT 3D swap - 6.jpg FT 3D swap - 16.jpg FT 3D swap - 8.jpg FT 3D swap - 9.jpg FT 3D swap - 22.jpg FT 3D swap - 10.jpg FT 3D swap - 17.jpg FT 3D swap - 11.jpg FT 3D swap - 13.jpg FT 3D swap - 14.jpg FT 3D swap - 12.jpg FT 3D swap - 15.jpg FT 3D swap - 19.jpg FT 3D swap - 20.jpg FT 3D swap - 1.jpg

JustinTime

Have the drawings been updated too?

EDIT: I've checked the plans. The VG are marked. The rudder has been changed to add the counter arm and is 0.45" wider. I thought it said in the video that the elevator is bigger too but I found it to be almost identical. the stab is 0.29" smaller and the elevator is therefore 0.29" bigger but I thought that Josh said 3/4".

Last edited:

asitterlee

Just watched the vid and thought of another way you could try and reduce the wing rock. Have you tried to mix in some spoileron/flaperon with elevator? I've used this method to help my 800mm extra 330 from tip stalling while harriering.

rcwilli

Hi Guys!!
nice job you did with this Plane! I love 3dees :)

About the Vortex Generators on the bottom side: The air "flows" over the top of the wing faster (due to Bernoullis effect) than on the downside. This generates that the air pressure is lower than on the bottom. And that (partly) generates the lift needed. The Air flowing over it, is (due to the Coandă effect) "glued or sucked" unto the top of the wing. And when you do High Alfa it cannot follow the shape of the wing for a long time and the stall happens. The VG´s delay the flow separation by doing some kind of mini "tornadoes".

The air flowing under the wing does not produce lift the way the air flowing over the top does. It generates lift due to the drag of the flowing air against the wing. ------------> \ This produces far less lift than the one on the top. Therefore the VG´s are usually not used on the bottom of the wing because you dont have that "air sucking unto the surface" issue.

I hoped it helped to understand the theory. :)

Ben

grounded

Hi Josh n Josh

Love your you tube articles and would really like to scratch build one of these 3d planes but, where can I find a link to the plans you mention on your you tube articles??
Over here (England) I can't get the board you build with so would have to use depron but I guess that would work OK

tehjrow

I just finished building my FT 3D and I have a few points to make about the video instructions.

1.) You mentioned in a newer video that you shortened the servo rods. In the build video you show the aileron servo installed with the motor part facing the front of the plane. However, the shorter rods will not reach and the servo needs to be installed the other way.

2.) The kit needs 2 popsicle sticks, mine only came with 1.

3.) In the video you leave out how to glue the tail parts to the frame.

4.) I'm guessing this is because my glue gun isn't hot enough, but when you glue the second wing on and use the glue as a lubricant, mine only lasted about 2 seconds before hardening. I was able to peel it off and go again with less glue.

5.) I'm not sure how to mount the VGs on the wings. Do i just cut slots in the wings, use some glue and press them in?

6.) The cockpit piece doesn't have A and B on it to designate fold types and I think in the video you say the wrong fold to make, you'll have to check on this but I did it wrong the first time and had to redo it.

All in all it was a fun build, i'm about to go destro..... fly it!

Last edited:

Pgorey

I just finished building my FT 3D and I have a few points to make about the video instructions.

1.) You mentioned in a newer video that you shortened the servo rods. In the build video you show the aileron servo installed with the motor part facing the front of the plane. However, the shorter rods will not reach and the servo needs to be installed the other way.

2.) The kit needs 2 popsicle sticks, mine only came with 1.

3.) In the video you leave out how to glue the tail parts to the frame.

4.) I'm guessing this is because my glue gun isn't hot enough, but when you glue the second wing on and use the glue as a lubricant, mine only lasted about 2 seconds before hardening. I was able to peel it off and go again with less glue.

5.) I'm not sure how to mount the VGs on the wings. Do i just cut slots in the wings, use some glue and press them in?

6.) The cockpit piece doesn't have A and B on it to designate fold types and I think in the video you say the wrong fold to make, you'll have to check on this but I did it wrong the first time and had to redo it.

All in all it was a fun build, i'm about to go destro..... fly it!

Agreed on all points. I just pressure fit the VGs into the wing. Cockpit piece definitely did not fit if you build like the video...

I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the Laser Toys specific power pack for these. The ESC has to be programmed or something because plugging in my battery basically starts the motor and I need 20 percent throttle trim to fix. Also, the plane just doesn't have the power with the beef kit to hover or even do a waterfall like Josh does in the video. Granted, I'm not running the same motor as Aaron. Also, the Laser Toys kit comes with a puny 8x4 prop when in the video Josh recommends a 10x6.7 and in the photos with captions below the new review video, they say Josh is running a 15 motor and the Laser Toys specific motor for this plane is an 11. Kind of feel like I wasted money on false advertisement...

danield

I have built (over 20) FT models including scratch built from plans. I ran in to a slight problem on this one (FT-3D) trying to put power pod in after gluing wings in place. Seems I slightly warped sides of fuselage in and now a very tight fit. Spars do not meet, gap, only wood spar. Maybe wing spar not set right, (need a caution sign here), maybe have the pod in place during wing gluing? This wing is very strong. I'll know better on the next one. Josh didn't have pod in place, maybe because of video. Love you guys, Lets go fly. - See more at: http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-3d-scratch-build#sthash.kxUuhFPs.dpuf