FT 3D XL

xfedex

I have watched Josh building the FT 3D XL and there is one thing I do not understand and that is how are the wings held in place? I did not see anything in the video on keeping wing from moving side to side or holding it in place other than the canopy. Can anyone answer this question? I like this plane a lot and I am thinking about ordering it if I can find out about how the wing is held in place………

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
First off, thanx for starting a thread so I didn't have to.
Second, to answer your question, we don't know for sure just yet, but judging by the parts count and past practice by FT, I'd say rubber bands.
If it is rubber bands I'll build the first iteration "as drawn" but after that, I'll look for a better way.
I'm waiting not so patiently for the next video to drop and clear some stuff up.

luvmy40

Elite member
I am only going from memory here.

I saw the prototype at Wings At Work. IIRC, the wings were held in place with rubber bands and skewers inside the main fuse in much same way as the FT Edge 540.

Petfixer71

There are limited videos on this build are limited to Fuselage , landing gear and wings.

Anyone have a picture of were to place components (Receiver/ ESC) , placement of battery, CG, properly securing wings???

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
There are limited videos on this build are limited to Fuselage , landing gear and wings.

Anyone have a picture of were to place components (Receiver/ ESC) , placement of battery, CG, properly securing wings???

I'm really hoping that they are not done! I'm in the same predicament.

nedski

I've built and flown the FT3DXL, and really enjoy how it flies. The rubber bands do hold the wing onto the fuselage, but I did not care for how the wing would/could slide side to side. So, with the rubber bands in place, I shoved some sharp, short bamboo skewer sections through the wing leading and trailing edges, and down into the fuselage sides. EZPZ, and that really worked, along with the rubber bands, to keep the wing securely in the correct position. I hope that helps. All the build vids are in place now, and following each one will help with a successful build. I did leave my landing gear wires full length, and kept the extra wire length going down alongside the other one on the other side. Then I wrapped the wires together with copper wire, and soldered those areas securely together. That makes for a stronger landing gear. I really like this plane, and it's a step up in size, and flying quality, from the smaller FT planes I've put together.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 0