FT 8’ P47

R G Ryder19

Very excited about diving into Foamboard building. Watched a Video from FT and John Overstreet.
I am going to build the 8’ version. Would like to know if there is a source for Laser cutting the parts out for me.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That would be an ambitious build, the FT guys did it though. If you have the know how you could scale up the plans in Illustrator and tile it off in Adobe possibly.

R G Ryder19

Battle axe,
Thank you for your reply, I’m very upset with Flitetest. Was trying to get some help on cut out parts. They act like I’m trying to get combination to Ft Knox!!

Was hoping to get some cooperation, been building since 1953. Been in R/C since 1963 so if I have to do it without their assistance I’ll definitely deep fry them every chance I get.

Would like to make contact with JOHN OVERSTREET since he built the prototype 8’ P47.

Any hep you could offer in that regard would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards.
R G

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Battle axe,
Thank you for your reply, I’m very upset with Flitetest. Was trying to get some help on cut out parts. They act like I’m trying to get combination to Ft Knox!!

Was hoping to get some cooperation, been building since 1953. Been in R/C since 1963 so if I have to do it without their assistance I’ll definitely deep fry them every chance I get.

Would like to make contact with JOHN OVERSTREET since he built the prototype 8’ P47.

Kind Regards.
R G
His son who does the flying is @Splinter189, he might be able to help you out, as far as John directly I don't know

Splinter189

Master member
Battle axe,

Kind Regards.
R G
With all builds, Flite Test has free downloadable plans for consumer. The monster series will be available as a free download as well. With a little work on your end, the free down loadable plans can be changed over to laser files.

Last edited:

R G Ryder19

@Splinter189

Jesse,
I’m aware the plans may be available at some future point in time.

I want to build it
NOW!

Just need to make contact with John Overstreet and be able to ask a few questions.

Also I asked FliteTest if they would cut me a kit. I have assume they cut the parts for John Overstreet. So why couldn’t they cut me a Parts kit??

I’m 74 yrs old, I maybe dead in the morning so that is why I’m very impatient with FliteTest.

If you can please put me in Contact with John Overstreet, I would very much appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
R G

R G Ryder19

Chuppster,
I’m a modeler!! Not a “riot” instigator!

They (FliteTest) are clearly in the Kit making business. My money is Good. I simply want them to hit the “Enter” key on their laser machine and cut me a kit!

Obviously, the parts worked good enough for John Over street.

Besides, there are far more folks that enjoy the smaller versions of there planes than those of us wanting a Giant!

I will build the plane with or without their parts!

It’s a term used by me for years called scratch building!

Again, I simply wanted to have precision parts to work with.

Kind Regards,
R G

Chuppster

From what I've heard from Josh Bixler, there is absolutely a plan to make this kit available. However, it will likely take awhile before they can make it ready for the public. I don't know how much experience you have with product development or design, but FT is VERY focused on making their builds as repeatable as they can. If they release something that isn't ready for the public, especially something as expensive as the kit you would like, their reputation would be in for a hit. I don't doubt that an experienced modeler like you could figure out how to put the pieces together. It would just be a bad decision for FT to release the kit before they are ready.

As for Overstreet, he is working closely with Flite Test and using them as a platform to refine and publish his designs. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who would go behind FT's back and sell you a kit.

R G Ryder19

Chuppster,

You are coming across like YOU are a FliteTest employee.

Yessir, I’m very familiar with product development. My Father was a farm implement manufacturer.

Nick Zirolli was a model plane builder and designer. I built and flew all of Nicks planes when he first released the plans. He once sent me a set of prototype drawings on Butcher paper because he Knew I could help him develop the finished plans!

I’m very excited to be in on the initial thrust of the Giant P47.

You eluded to the cost of a kit. Again that simply is testimony that FliteTest is in business to make money! Yipppee for them it’s the American way. I applaud the desire to increase modal activity with a younger crowd of modelers!! That is what our hobby needs!

All of us Old coggers will be dying off and we need bright young people to pick up the torch and carry it forward.

I never once thought of asking John to cut me a kit but with his experience. I’m sure he may own a Laser Cutter!

No I wanted FliteTest to cut me a kit!

But I will build my model without their parts and enjoy it.

Kind Regards Chuppster, whoever you are,

R G

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hello R G.

I would dare to say that Flite Test cutting kits for John Overstreet is a bit different than them cutting preproduction kits for anyone else. Heck, I've been working with Flite Test pretty much since day one, and I wouldn't ask them to cut me a kit that hadn't been released yet.

Good, bad, or indifferent, Flite Test very much releases kits based on their own schedule, and not ours. It could be released tomorrow, it may never get released at all.

<cough>Shinden<cough>

I'm super excited about the idea of building a giant sized FT Sportster, but I don't expect to see one overly soon. So I appreciate your passion on the topic.

That said, you're welcome to express frustration with Flite Test. Even within reason, members of the team. But just as a cautionary comment, I will not allow any hostility towards other forum and community members. So please keep that in mind with your replies here on the forum.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Chuppster,

Yessir, I’m very familiar with product development. My Father was a farm implement manufacturer.

Nick Zirolli was a model plane builder and designer. I built and flew all of Nicks planes when he first released the plans. He once sent me a set of prototype drawings on Butcher paper because he Knew I could help him develop the finished plans!

You eluded to the cost of a kit. Again that simply is testimony that FliteTest is in business to make money! Yipppee for them it’s the American way. I applaud the desire to increase modal activity with a younger crowd of modelers!! That is what our hobby needs!

All of us Old coggers will be dying off and we need bright young people to pick up the torch and carry it forward.

I never once thought of asking John to cut me a kit but with his experience. I’m sure he may own a Laser Cutter!

R G
If you are really stuck on building a 8' P-47, the one solution I can give you is to open the Standard size P-47 pdf file in Adobe Acrobat Reader and print off the original plans at 200%+ and make the mods for the larger planes yourself. Given you already admitted you are a builder/designer/flyer from way back in the day then you should be able to figure out how to make these plans work just like the Overstreets did. You may be able to see improvements and changes that need to made to suit your needs and it will be your design, a one of a kind. Even open up a build thread on it, I am sure many on here would be interested in following your progress and may even join in and build one themselves.

Honestly though this "I deserve more then anyone else" attitude won't be tolerated. If anything we are here to help with anything, within our power and means of coarse, to better influence the RC flight community. This forum is full of experienced, knowledgeable, ambitious, and very creative people who really are a family to each other. If this does not satisfy your needs then there are probably plenty of other forums, (not FT) that you are welcome to visit.

This is the extent of what we can do for you, other then that have a nice day sir (y):cool:(y)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
@R G Ryder19,

There are a lot of reasons there isn't (yet) a kit for the monster series P-47, chief among them being the fact that the FT Maker Foam is not yet available. Once this foam is on the market the kits will follow. The shipping, manufacturing, and materiel costs for the monster series will also be much greater than the normal speed build kit, so that is likely to cause a delay for kits. FT isn't in the business of creating custom kit orders for people either. If that were the case then it's unlikely we would have the supply of FT kits to meet demand. John is currently working with FT to design new products, so if they are cutting kits for him (unlikely since it would seem he has his own shop complete with laser cutters) it would make sense for product testing and prototyping. There is a process in place, and FT has the right to protect their product by not releasing it to the public until it is ready. If you want to have a kit cut, you CAN talk to a company like Manzano laser works about having a kit made for you, but you can also scratch build one using the 185% scale up method that all the monster planes are based off of. FT Released a great monster build resource video a few years ago, you are more than welcome to use that and the available plans to build your own monster jug.

R G Ryder19

Flying Monkey!

WOW!!

After 52 yrs as a Salesman, I don’t recall EVER getting anything I didn’t ask for.

I also POSTED that I fully intend to build the model with/without FT.

As Also stated previously I’m a modeler this is my Hobby something that brings joy to my life and fulfillment with the completion of a project.

I’ve truly helped many many individuals learn to fly, learn to build from nothing more than a Photo in one of many now defunct model magazines.

So please don’t give off the “attitude” card.
I registered for this Forum expecting fellow modelers to be more than willing to help me since I’ve NEVER worked with Foamboard.

AkimboGlue Guns,

Thank you for your suggestion as that is exactly what I’m persuing!
I’m having the plans enlarged 186% based on my math. At the same time decided I wanted a 60” version. I’ve flown .60 sized planes until 1977 when I saw a 9’ wingspan Cub Flying with a converted chainsaw motor!

Just like John Overstreet’s 8’ P47 it lit my fire again! So we are once again jumping feetfirst into another new aspect of this wonderful Hobby!

As I get further up the learning curve I’ll be happy to post my progress and my particular building style to perhaps help some modeler that doesn’t have as much experience as I do.

I’ve always strived to be a Bridge Builder for those that follow after.

Thank you for keeping me focused on the project.

Kind Regards,
R G

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
My apologies for misunderstanding your comments as having "attitude".

The internet is a great resource, but unfortunately text only conversations can lead to miscommunications since our language is not just words, but facial expressions, body language and vocal tones.

You'll understand where I may have had concerns with comments such as:

Battle axe,

and

Also, I should admit, that I assist with customer service. After seeing your post here, I looked into your emailed request. I saw where Jen politely replied to you that they don't even have the foam material to make the kits. You were less than polite in your reply.

Even with the information that they have run out of the test batch of the extra thick foam they used for the P-47 you went on to make the following comments:

They (FliteTest) are clearly in the Kit making business. My money is Good. I simply want them to hit the “Enter” key on their laser machine and cut me a kit!

You reply to Chupster, who patiently was attempting to help you with what looked like "attitude".

Chuppster,

Now, I'm not up to date of the exact Flite Test employee situation, but I do not believe that Chupster is on the payroll. What he appears to be, is a fan who keeps up with the YouTube videos, and social media posts, and was trying to share that knowledge with you.

Speaking of fans. This group is an active community of Flite Test fans. So, when you come in angry with Flite Test, because they wouldn't run you a custom kit, with materials they do not have in stock, then turn around and say you'll...

deep fry them every chance I get.

you'll have to understand that you may not get the sympathy from community members that you may have expected.

Even with that, I am very proud to see that the community members still worked to try to assist you with learning how to work with foam, and how to use existing plans to get the sized plane you are interested in. This is a great group of people, and yes, I'm a bit protective of them.

You're angry, we get that, but do not take it out on the members here, and do not play the victim when called out on it.

With kind regards.

Fred

Chuppster

@R G Ryder19 ,

Haha, I wish I was a flite test employee! I'm just a fan, and I fly everything from my FT Cub to a 50cc Christen Eagle and 84" wingspan P51. So, I too have some experience with building and flying. I've been to Flite Fest and that's a wonderful place to make friends and rub shoulders with some of the top dogs. You can learn a lot by hanging around these people! They are very kind and helpful, but at the end of the day they are a business and they want to stay in business, so please please please understand that they are only doing this so they can stay in business! It sounds like you have enough experience to understand that.

I love the fact that you're thinking about starting off with the 60" build, and I'm sure you'll find the build challenging and fulfilling. If this is you first time building with foam, I would recommend making your very first build the MiG-3, P-40, Mustang, or Spitfire. They are much easier to build and they will help you get your feet wet to the idea of "folding up an airplane". It's quite a bit different than scratch building from balsa, easier in many ways, but still produces a good result that is a ton of fun to fly. Just my 2 cents! Please post your journey here and share it with us, and don't hesitate to ask questions. Once you get your feet wet with foam if FT still hasn't released the giant P-47, you would be blazing a trail on this forum if you did a build thread on making one from plans. I think that's something we would all enjoy seeing.

Chuppster

Chuppster,

R G

I'm a little jealous that you know Ziroli. I've always admired his builds, but haven't picked up a set of his plans yet. One of my friends built his Panther and it's beautiful.

R G Ryder19

Good morning!

Can I use the white papered Foamboard from Hobby Lobby?

If this is a bad choice please tell me some of the problems I might run into?

They have some 40”x 60” sheets which would allow me to cut bigger parts for the 8’ version.

Tnx...in Advance

R G

R G Ryder19

I'm a little jealous that you know Ziroli. I've always admired his builds, but haven't picked up a set of his plans yet. One of my friends built his Panther and it's beautiful.

Chuppster,
You should get a set of Nick’s plans and build one of his planes!

My personal favorite was the P-40 it was my choice of all the Ww2 fighters.

With the choice of engines we have today you can build a much lighter version and have spectacular performance.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Good morning!

Can I use the white papered Foamboard from Hobby Lobby?

If this is a bad choice please tell me some of the problems I might run into?

They have some 40”x 60” sheets which would allow me to cut bigger parts for the 8’ version.

Tnx...in Advance

R G
That should work just fine. I’ve heard of people using the hobby lobby foam board, although I’ve never used t myself. I think they have double thick foam there, right?