FT 8’ P47

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hanger,
I didn’t ask about thickness just asked for FB and they told me about the bigger sheets.

I will definitely check on the double thick.
Yeah, I think I remember that the sheets were considerably bigger, which is great for cutting out the enlarged parts.

Chuppster

Good morning!

Can I use the white papered Foamboard from Hobby Lobby?

If this is a bad choice please tell me some of the problems I might run into?

They have some 40”x 60” sheets which would allow me to cut bigger parts for the 8’ version.

Tnx...in Advance

R G

When choosing foamboard, make sure you check the weight! I haven't looked at Hobby Lobby, but I typically use Ross foamboard sold at Walmart. It only comes in 20" x 30" sheets but it's very light and the paper doesn't delaminate as easily as Adams. Elmer's brand is ridiculously heavy. Make sure the foamboard you pick will have a similar density to the results in this article:

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/comparing-foam-board

R G Ryder19

Okay so I’m going to have to cut my parts with an Xacto #11 so what is the best thing to use under the FB to cut out parts?

I’ve used the Green cutting board under Balsa and Lite ply. Would like to get maximum use out of my blades, so is cardboard a better option?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Okay so I’m going to have to cut my parts with an Xacto #11 so what is the best thing to use under the FB to cut out parts?

I’ve used the Green cutting board under Balsa and Lite ply. Would like to get maximum use out of my blades, so is cardboard a better option?

I found a sacrifice piece of foam board worked nicely. Or if you don't mind using a strop on your razor blades every 5 minutes or so, cutting on a tempered glass table top is very clean and my current process. Murder on razor blade tips though.

Chuppster

I use the self-healing cutting mats designed for fabric. Gives a really good surface to cut against and doesn't dull the blade too much.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My method is not recommended - carpet... I have used a fabric mat like @Chuppster uses and it works well too. Also have done the foam board on the bottom, and that is a easy cheap way to do it that also works well.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Hanger,
I didn’t ask about thickness just asked for FB and they told me about the bigger sheets.

I will definitely check on the double thick.

I recall FT stating in one of their YT vids, (don't remember which one) that their Monster Foam Board thickness was 185%.
Can anyone verify that?

R G Ryder19

Chuppster,

So where can I get the “Thicker” foam? Or can I use the 3/16” and use balsa doublers or paper doublers?

I haven’t started the 8’ version yet building the small one then I’m going to build the 60” version.... then tackle the 8 footer!

Chuppster

Chuppster,

So where can I get the “Thicker” foam? Or can I use the 3/16” and use balsa doublers or paper doublers?

I haven’t started the 8’ version yet building the small one then I’m going to build the 60” version.... then tackle the 8 footer!

Well, you've got a few options. You could double up all the foam and make it 200%. You could go single thickness but then add reinforcements in critical areas.

From what I hear the skins are still made from normal foam because it is MUCH easier to mold.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
In the video, he does say he upscaled 186% and used standard FT foam board "up here". Whatever that means.
So, I believe he used both.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Chuppster,

The Monster Maker Foam is still in development. No ETA on a release date yet that I have heard. But, I can tell you what I know:
  • Thickness = .315 inches (8mm)
  • Width = 30 inches (762 mm)
  • Length = 40 inches (1016 mm)
  • Color = White
The monster planes will be a combination of Monster Maker Foam and standard Maker Foam (also yet to be released). The scale factor is going to be 185%. I do know that the 186% number has been used a few times as well, but the 185% is correct as far as I know.

Hope that helps.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The Monster Maker Foam is still in development. No ETA on a release date yet that I have heard. But, I can tell you what I know:
  • Thickness = .315 inches (8mm)
  • Width = 30 inches (762 mm)
  • Length = 40 inches (1016 mm)
  • Color = White
The monster planes will be a combination of Monster Maker Foam and standard Maker Foam (also yet to be released). The scale factor is going to be 185%. I do know that the 186% number has been used a few times as well, but the 185% is correct as far as I know.

Hope that helps.
I saw a whole lot of maker foam in the last ft vid, and josh said in the cabbie vid that the next batch would be for them and us. We should be seeing it really soon then, right?