ft a-10 ducted fan

Ranger_107

Elite member
can someone recommend some electronics if I was to make the ft warthog edf/ bdf style?
probably just the motor size and props and I can do the servos.

Thanks!
Nick aka Ranger_107

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
the BDF uses a FT 2207 and their 35A esc as far as i know. you would need 4 of each plus be able to 3D print the fan housing. i would also think it is a 5" 3 blade prop.

good luck,

me :cool:

Ranger_107

Elite member
I've done this with great success! You don't need 4, it will work with 2 if you make the flowpath smooth.

Here is a video where I go into a bit of what I did on the nacelles:

And here is my maiden flight of it:
can you maybe share the files for the ducts that you used?
(assuming that they are 3d printed.)

Thanks.

chris398mx

Master member
can you maybe share the files for the ducts that you used?
(assuming that they are 3d printed.)

Thanks.
I don't know if Ben can give you the stl's as the ducts have not been released from FT. I modeled some for a project I did and you are welcome to use mine if you would like. I have both Left hand and right hand mounts in both 16x16 and 16x19 mm mounting patterns. there is also and inlet flange I made to help with the inlet air flow. If you use them, please post your results. thanks and have fun.

Attachments

• EDF 4 inch 16x16 LH.stl
    555.6 KB · Views: 0
  • EDF 4 inch 16x16 RH.stl
    555.6 KB · Views: 0
  • EDF inlet flange.stl
    985.7 KB · Views: 0
  • EDF-4-16 x19 LH.stl
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • EDF-4-16 x19 RH.stl
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A pair of 70mm fans would fly an A-10 just fine. However a BDF will probably be cheaper, definitely more efficient, and there is a lot of room in the ducts so you could definitely fit the BDF's in it.

Ranger_107

Elite member
I don't know if Ben can give you the stl's as the ducts have not been released from FT. I modeled some for a project I did and you are welcome to use mine if you would like. I have both Left hand and right hand mounts in both 16x16 and 16x19 mm mounting patterns. there is also and inlet flange I made to help with the inlet air flow. If you use them, please post your results. thanks and have fun.
what motor does this run off?

Ranger_107

Elite member
also, is this for four motors or two?
and would it work with two?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Motor choice depends on Kv. If you go 4S you need closer to 2500 or 3000Kv. I was running 6S (2200mAh), and two 1650Kv motors on 35A ESCs.

The props I had the best success with are Gemfan 4052 tri-blades.

I'm sorry I can't share my files right now; Flite Test is developing molds for them and integrating them into future kits.

Ranger_107

Elite member
will a power pack a twin on a 4s work for your setup @chris398mx? along with the props you recommended?
it will just be easier because it has esc and more that work together for sure.

Thanks! Nicholas Cormode

chris398mx

Master member
will a power pack a twin on a 4s work for your setup @chris398mx? along with the props you recommended?
it will just be easier because it has esc and more that work together for sure.

Thanks! Nicholas Cormode
I think you could bolt those motors up, but the 2207 have considerably more power. I am thinking the A power pack motors wont be enough for this plane, but that is just my opinion. If you go that way, let us know how it turns out.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I think you could bolt those motors up, but the 2207 have considerably more power. I am thinking the A power pack motors wont be enough for this plane, but that is just my opinion. If you go that way, let us know how it turns out.
Get the FT 35 amp esc's and 2207 motors. I doubt the A packs will fly the A-10.