FT and Phoenix-Simulator

mesolost

Well the plane setup isn't all that hard it's just a lot of measurements and a few pictures. I have Phoenix, Aerofly, and Clearview. I use Phoenix for the most part and Aerofly sometimes. Sorry but IMHO Clearview sux. -.- Any who, someone pick a FT plane that has plans available to download and send some HQ pics from above, below, left, right, front, and rear and I'll give it a whack. Been editing planes just for fun and I've gotten some gnarly flyin planes. Like loops with a diameter of the fuselage length and aileron rolls you dare not touch the elevator on. I guess to prepare I should find out how to make a 3 channel plane work without remapping the mode 2 input assignment. I guess I'll test my skilz on my FT Mini Scout but I don't have a paint job, just a few starburst stickers. =p If/when I get it done I'll post the files here. (or a link to a zip on my Google drive since I only use it to share files and all I have on it now is a modpack for the Minecraft server I moderate) NOTE - I'll only be making them in Phoenix. (version 4 is what I have so I wont upgrade yet)

HawkMan

phoenix has free lifetime upgrades, if you have version 4 you can just run the updater and you'll get 5.

mesolost

I know this BUT version 5 doesn't like the trainer USB adapter I have PLUS if I'm gonna make planes wouldn't it be nice if they were a little backwards compatible? There's a method to my madness. =p

someone pick a FT plane that has plans available to download and send some HQ pics from above, below, left, right, front, and rear and I'll give it a whack.

Hey Mesolost,

Thanks for offering to try to get an FT plane on Phoenix! I have an FT Versa that I'm currently putting together. I'll be happy to send some pics your way after I finish it up.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Any who, someone pick a FT plane that has plans available to download and send some HQ pics from above, below, left, right, front, and rear and I'll give it a whack.

I think you should do something that ids a strictly a Flite Test design. Ft cruiser, ft3d, ft viggan... What do you think?

smithhayward

Large Child
Hey all, I'm new to the hobby and so glad I found FT. I also have Phoenix 5. I'm building the Tiny Trainer (hope to have it done in the next week or so), but in my down-time from flying I'll give the modeling a go. I already have foam templates for all of the parts to make it easy to make replacements or additional models down the line. I can get exact measurements from these.

Disclaimer: I tend to over-commit myself so I'll be lucky to actually get this done before Christmas. You've been warned - don't get your hopes up =D

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
[QUOTE =smithhayward;224578]I'll give the modeling a go. I already have foam templates for all of the parts to make it easy to make replacements or additional models down the line. I can get exact measurements from these.

Disclaimer: I tend to over-commit myself so I'll be lucky to actually get this done before Christmas. You've been warned - don't get your hopes up =D[/QUOTE]

It would be cool, and I know what you mean about the time. I still have a design sitting in limbo when I have "free time". Never happens, you will have to make it the priority for a day or two just to finish it.

smithhayward

Large Child
Yeah... so I built two of the Tiny Trainer as chuck gliders - they're pretty cool - kids (Twins; 7) haven't gotten a chance to play with them yet. I forgot to put the dyhedral in the wing so it flew like crap. I've decided to move on to the Storch. Any modeling will be on hold until I can get this thing built and flying. Oh well... can't say I'm surprised. :p

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I finally got a model of the FT mustang to take off from the ground, fly ,and land in phoenix 5.

PepperM, did you end up sharing the files for the FT Mustang somewhere? I just got Phoenix 5.5 and would love to install this model!

Thanks!

mesolost

It should as long as you have the usb trainer adapter. With the trainer to usb adapter any transmitter with a trainer port should work.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
It arrived Wednesday. I was very disappointed by the speed and power of the planes. Not like a real r/c plane at all. Most are slow and sluggish by default. The 3D planes seem pretty spot on but the warbirds and race planes are horrendously underpowered and slow compared to their real life counterparts.

Luckily I found increasing RPM, adjusting CG and sometimes changing prop settings are all you need to get it moving.

For example, the E-Flite Rare Bear flies just like a real one (at frightening speeds) if you change the max RPM to 35000, Prop to 8x8 and move the cg Z value forward a bit to about positive 1.4 inches (or .12 ft)

Here's a video I made, mostly to document my progress later. This is Day 3 flying the Precision Aerobatics Katana Mini with cg moved back slightly. No other adjustments.

Anyone else flying Phoenix? Anytime I'm on, I'll create a session called FliteTest Fans. Feel free to join.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It arrived Wednesday. I was very disappointed by the speed and power of the planes. Not like a real r/c plane at all. Most are slow and sluggish by default. The 3D planes seem pretty spot on but the warbirds and race planes are horrendously underpowered and slow compared to their real life counterparts.

Luckily I found increasing RPM, adjusting CG and sometimes changing prop settings are all you need to get it moving.

For example, the E-Flite Rare Bear flies just like a real one (at frightening speeds) if you change the max RPM to 35000, Prop to 8x8 and move the cg Z value forward a bit to about positive 1.4 inches (or .12 ft)

Here's a video I made, mostly to document my progress later. This is Day 3 flying the Precision Aerobatics Katana Mini with cg moved back slightly. No other adjustments.

Anyone else flying Phoenix? Anytime I'm on, I'll create a session called FliteTest Fans. Feel free to join.

So it's not just me then - I find the Yak in the simulator behaves very similar to my Yak 54 foamy, but the warbirds especially seem like flying bathtubs. I haven't flown one of those before, so I wasn't sure if that was the scale experience or not. I'll try some tweaking per your recommendations and see if changing out a few parts to better real world counterparts gives more reasonable performance.

And once I figure out how to get this to punch through my firewall, I'll certainly look for you online. :)

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
So it's not just me then - I find the Yak in the simulator behaves very similar to my Yak 54 foamy, but the warbirds especially seem like flying bathtubs. I haven't flown one of those before, so I wasn't sure if that was the scale experience or not. I'll try some tweaking per your recommendations and see if changing out a few parts to better real world counterparts gives more reasonable performance.

And once I figure out how to get this to punch through my firewall, I'll certainly look for you online. :)

I recently discovered one more setting needed to make the high powered planes fly correctly. You have to set the yaw inertia high to prevent tail waggle. Before I did this, my Rare Bear would fly backwards above 35,000 rpm.

In other news, I started working on FT planes to add to the sim. My first one is going to be the Bloody Wonder MkIII. I have it modeled. I'm going to run it through Phoenix Builder and get it flying since this is my first time. Then I'll go back and start adding paint schemes.

Here's what I have so far (as soon as it has been tested to fly as I expect a BW to fly, I'll release the files):

IMG_2060.JPG

Update: I was able to get all the collisions, airfoils (wing, hstab and vstabs) and control surfaces added on my lunch break. I have to make or steal a prop from another 3d model and set up the propulsion and we should be able to fly!

It bothers me that the belly landing planes break when you land, so I may put some invisible gear on it so we can skid across the grass like we're supposed to.

PS - Started a thread here: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?27096-FliteTest-in-Phoenix-RC-(Model-Index)

Last edited:

Multirotor Go

So is not only me then. I usually get bored with phoenix pretty fast and go back to Realflight but lately because of the Flite test models and the rickp models on rcgroups I have been flying more on phoenix but always feel that all the airplane are on low rates and to easy to fly or to limited. but is a pain in the A to change and modify each airplane but The Flit test models are by far the best flying models on Phoenix IMHO I have like 3 Flite test models on Realflight I wish all of the other one would be available too. John Would you mind to make a dedicated thread and publish your findings and posting your models modifications ? That would help a lot thanks