Ft Aura 5 lite on 55 in ws Spitfire

sly1231

I have a Pheonix Models Spitfire that I built a few months ago. It uses an outrunner and has been flown a few times. I am considering installing an Aura 5 in it. Am I looking for trouble doing this? Is the Ft Aura 5 meant for just foamies and light planes? Would greatly appreciate any help/input.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
it should work just fine. As long as you correctly mount it, it shouldn't care about how big your plane is.

The only thing I could see being an issue is that if you have lots of high powered servos, were you wouldn't want to run all that current through the servo headers, but that would be the same issue with basically any receiver and would be solved the same way.

For a bigger plane, the tune might need to be different, so you might need to take some time adjusting the tune to make it work well in a big plane (the response charactistics of different craft means that you need to tune flight stabilizers differently)

sly1231

Another few questions.
1. I use throttle hold on all my elec planes. So do I just connect the ESC lead to the throttle channel and not to S1 on the Aura?
2. I also have retracts and flaps. Do I connect these to the receiver?
3. The Aura should get power thru the SBUS
Thanks for any input.

dap35

Elite member
Another few questions.
1. I use throttle hold on all my elec planes. So do I just connect the ESC lead to the throttle channel and not to S1 on the Aura?
2. I also have retracts and flaps. Do I connect these to the receiver?
3. The Aura should get power thru the SBUS
Thanks for any input.
1. If you are using sbus, then you should be able to connect the ESC to either your throttle port on your RX or on the Aura. I have done it both ways with Futaba.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

sly1231

An issue with my 3rd FT Aura 5.
I am trying to set it up on a Carl Goldberg Cub. All seem to work well (just basic setup) except I have no gyro action with the switch in the middle position. I have repeated the setup several times but no joy. All setups were done without a PC / Aura config tool. The other 2 units seem to work as they should.

dap35

Elite member
An issue with my 3rd FT Aura 5.
I am trying to set it up on a Carl Goldberg Cub. All seem to work well (just basic setup) except I have no gyro action with the switch in the middle position. I have repeated the setup several times but no joy. All setups were done without a PC / Aura config tool. The other 2 units seem to work as they should.
The middle position would be the AutoLevel position. So, I am guessing that AutoLevel (ie 6-axis mode) is not enabled.
Do you get any gyro action in the down position of the switch when you wiggle the airplane around?

Check the quick start guide. There is a an option in the quick change mode to switch flight mode 2 from 3 axis to 6 axis, which enables the auto level on the middle switch position and basic stabilization on the bottom switch position.

Last edited:

sly1231

With the switch in the DOWN position the gyro is active and behaves as it should. With the switch in the middle position, there is no gyro action at all. I have tried changing flight mode 2 from 3 axis to 6 axis , no sucess. I have followed the video and instructions several times. The other 2 units seem to work fine so far and I fly them at least a couple of times a week.

dap35

Elite member
With the switch in the DOWN position the gyro is active and behaves as it should. With the switch in the middle position, there is no gyro action at all. I have tried changing flight mode 2 from 3 axis to 6 axis , no sucess. I have followed the video and instructions several times. The other 2 units seem to work fine so far and I fly them at least a couple of times a week.
If you have access to a system running MS Windows, I would strongly suggest using the config tool to enable this. It also allows you to get the latest firmware on the Aura.

sly1231

If you have access to a system running MS Windows, I would strongly suggest using the config tool to enable this. It also allows you to get the latest firmware on the Aura.
Thanks, I have a PC and will try the config tool tonight.

sly1231

Thanks, I have a PC and will try the config tool tonight.

dap35, I did what you suggested and updated the firmware on the ft aura board.
This enabled gyro action with the switch in the mid position. However, there seem to be other issues with this unit. 1. Ail stick to the right turns on the motor. 2. Elev stick moves the ailerons. 3. Throttle stick moves the elevator. Only the rudder stick behaves as it should.
I have tried this Ft Aura/receiver combination on the bench with 2 other models that I have flown with Ft Aura installed in them. I have spent several hours trying to get this one to work as the other 2 that I have but have not succeeded yet. I think this board is defective.

dap35

Elite member
dap35, I did what you suggested and updated the firmware on the ft aura board.
This enabled gyro action with the switch in the mid position. However, there seem to be other issues with this unit. 1. Ail stick to the right turns on the motor. 2. Elev stick moves the ailerons. 3. Throttle stick moves the elevator. Only the rudder stick behaves as it should.
I have tried this Ft Aura/receiver combination on the bench with 2 other models that I have flown with Ft Aura installed in them. I have spent several hours trying to get this one to work as the other 2 that I have but have not succeeded yet. I think this board is defective.

I would check and make sure the Aura config tool has the correct TX select (Spectrum , Futaba, FrSky, etc) , that the channel order is correct, and the servo's are connected to the correct ports on the Aura. Usually, it is (1) Throttle, (2) Left Aileron, (3) Right, Aileron, (4) Elevator, and (5) Rudder.

Typically, I connect the throttle to my rx, not the Aura.
I have also used the technical support at Flex Innovations who make the Aura and have had good luck.

boogieloo

I would check and make sure the Aura config tool has the correct TX select (Spectrum , Futaba, FrSky, etc) , that the channel order is correct, and the servo's are connected to the correct ports on the Aura. Usually, it is (1) Throttle, (2) Left Aileron, (3) Right, Aileron, (4) Elevator, and (5) Rudder.

Typically, I connect the throttle to my rx, not the Aura.
I have also used the technical support at Flex Innovations who make the Aura and have had good luck.

What's an Aura 5?

boogieloo

Well I don't need stabilization on the one I'm making. Just a battery now. I'm on a Flysky transmitter and receiver made in China. China is good. They're day. So I understand this topic really easily. I have seen those roll outs and around before. I know that's cool. So it's cool. Reverse the elevator on the roll outs. It's cool. I'd like to see that too. But not yet.

Last edited:

boogieloo

I'd like to find out too who made that airplane boat, I think he or she is from Michigan. There is a lake there. That very much impressed me. I like it very much. Nicely made. Sitting on the water.