FT Bee

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I've been getting more into the 1930s air racers and also been enjoying the history behind it all. How about a swapable racer-inspired plane? Along the lines of a Gee Bee? I currently have a scratch built Art Chester "Goon" that flies very well and very fast. Just a suggestion.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I love this idea! There's a lot of attention to military craft but the golden age of air racing is fascinating.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
It was very pioneering and led to a lot of military designs. It really pushed military to consider the radial motor due to reliability. Speed was a concern due to increased drag but cowl development from the racers had a lot of clout to sway the spenders of tax money to get warbirds out the door.

With FT showing that a speed plane CAN be affordable and easy to construct I think this would be a great project. I'd even pitch in to do some development on it as well! My Goon has to be bungee launched and that may be something they could cover as well. My launcher only cost me $50 to build and is reliable and safe. With is short wingspan it needs speed to get up but once up is out of sight.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
A geebee E might be workable.
There was one boxier GeeBee that would be better, but I can't think of what it is.:confused:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
A semi-scale Z would work. Just make a flat bottom for the power pod. Wheel pants would be a first for FT.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The problem would be the poor flight handling characteristics of the GeeBee. Making something that their target audience could fly may prove difficult. That said, they love challenges don't they.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
It has been shown by other models designed for the Z and R2 that it can be a real pussy cat. I think its completely doable. Elarge the tail a bit for stability and select the right wing proportion and airfoil.