FT Bloody Wonder - Scratch Build

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

The FT Bloody Wonder - Scratch Build
This Flite Test scratch build airplane was inspired by Bloody Mick's FUNBAT and the Sig Wonder. The FT Bloody Wonder is the newest addition to the Flite Test Swappable Series! A series of scratch built planes designed with an interchangeable fuselage.

FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still005.jpg

FT Bloody Wonder Build Plans Available Here:
View attachment FT Bloody Wonder - Swappable - 2 of 2.pdf
View attachment FT Bloody Wonder Swappable - 1 of 2.pdf

TIP for printing the plans:
To print "tiled" use Adobe Reader X and in the print dialog select "POSTER", select "Cut Marks" and make sure "Tile Scale" is 100%. Then overlap and tape as required (after trimming the top overlapping edge).
(Thanks youtuber larrybarrick for this suggestion!)

Detailed build video for the power pod (fuselage) available here:
http://youtu.be/aMeGqVGZcjA?t=2m11s

Equipment used/recommended for this build:
ADAMS Foam Board
Turnigy TG9e 9g Servos
Push Rods: 1.4mm Piano Wire
Linkage Stopper "Speed Clevis"
NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller
Turnigy 1300mAh 4S 20C Lipo Pack
Futaba T8FG Super 14ch Transmitter w/R6208SB 2.4GHz Receiver
Futaba R6106HFC 2.4GHz FASST Mid Range 6Ch Rx

Additional/Alternate components:
Suppo 2208/14 1450kv Brushless Motor (Park 370 equiv.)
APC-style Electric Propeller - 8x4E
Suppo 18A Brushless ESC
Suppo SP-90 9g Micro Servo

FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still035.jpg

The FT Bloody Wonder features a swappable fuselage that is interchangeable with the other airplanes in the Swappable Series!

This combat flyer is capable of vertical take off, it can fly off the 24gram motor setup on previous swappable fuselage or you can upgrade to the NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w motor.

One of the unique designs of this scratch build is the rounded aileron wing design. Created the same way that the Baby Blender wings are made, the rounded ailerons provide great lift!

In case you missed the review of this plane you can check it out here:
http://flitetest.com/articles/Vertical_Drag_Race_Combat

The Flite Test Swappable Series currently consists of:
The Nutball, The FT Flyer, Delta Wing, Baby Blender

FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still009.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still010.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still011.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still012.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still013.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still014.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still017.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still016.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still018.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still019.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still020.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still021.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still024.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still025.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still022.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still023.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still027.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still031.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still026.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still028.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still003.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still037.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still032.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still029.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still030.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still036.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still004.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still008.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still034.jpg FT Bloody Wonder Build.Still033.jpg

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hey Josh-
Extreme tape is awesome, we use it all the time for our combat planes.
We have found that it is very UV sensitive and will weather quickly if not protected.
Cover it up with a piece of clear (or colored) packing tape to keep it from degrading and flaking in the sunlight.

Josh Bixler

Hey Josh-
Extreme tape is awesome, we use it all the time for our combat planes.
We have found that it is very UV sensitive and will weather quickly if not protected.
Cover it up with a piece of clear (or colored) packing tape to keep it from degrading and flaking in the sunlight.

Thanks for the great tip jet pack! You are absolutely right! Fortunately, my planes don't last long enough for that to happen. ;)

JB

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I like the style of your build better and the swapability of the fuselage, but I enjoy the simplicity of the original Funbat. So I combined the two, and finally finished it up - it's ready for a maiden when the winds finally stay calm enough!

IMG_0387.JPG

Thanks in part to the landing gear weight, my Funbat will just barely stand up without tipping forward.

IMG_0389.JPG

I added the "canopy" before I realized that I need room for the aileron servo. Instead of removing it I mounted the 9 gram servo as shallow as possible from underneath and cut out only what I needed to so the controls would work. The rudder servo is also mounted from the bottom which minimizes the visual impact.

IMG_0392.JPG

First flight will be with a 1000mah 3S. The swappable fuse is completely stock and swaps easily between my Nutball, FT Flyer, and Delta. I guess I like building more than flying, as none of these have actually been flown yet. I spent too much time with the other planes...

IMG_0393.JPG

Last edited:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I'd love to see a quick tip or something that compares the performance between the FT Funbat and the FT Bloody Wonder that includes how the performance is different between the KF and the Armin style airfoil.
The build really doesn't seem that more difficult to do the Armin style wing.
What about durability? Any advantage one over the other?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
For push rods I use "piano wire" that you can find at just about any hardware store.

kiezbengel

Hi, everybody. I want to build this awesome Combat F(l)ighter by myself. How long ist the Flighttime with this Motor and the LiPo? Thanks..

doron1604

Here is my FT BLOODY scratch Build.
I did not fly it yet bacause of the weather.

Is it OK to fly it with 2200mah 3s lipo?

_1_~1.JPG

kiezbengel

Then I ask again :) How long can you fly on a single charge

with these data

NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
TURNIGY Plush 25AMP speed controller
Turnigy 1300mAh 4S 20C Lipo Pack

Thanks

MrClean

My paint is a drying, tomorrow I stuff the electronics in and get a balance on it. Low winds and favorable temps for Thursday and Friday. Hope to maiden then.

MrClean

ok Doron1604, what low tach masking system did YOU use? My low tach blue tape was too tachy. The best I could do was to pull back on the tape to stretch it off the paper and even then I lifted the grain at best and pulled tabs up at worst.

Last edited:

MrClean

how d8d u mask your lines between red and black?

And update, Ready to Rock. Hopefully I can get down to the park tomorrow. Did everyone else stick there battery on the bottom? I guess if you have wheels on that would keep it safe but I just get a weird feeling about using the battery as a landing slide. It's kind of a pain to stick inside though.

Last edited: