FT Bloody Wonder V2 - PROJECT

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

bloodywonderv2-2-jpg_1395691319.jpg

The original Bloody Wonder was an oldie AND a goodie, but was in some definite need of improvements, most of which you guys suggested (thank you!)

bloodywonderv2-3-jpg_1395691323.jpg

We read through the suggestions, picked our favorites, and voila! The Bloody Wonder V2!

bloodywonderv2-4-jpg_1395691326.jpg

Some of the improvements include lower access to the servos...

bloodywonderv2-5-jpg_1395691328.jpg

a naca duct in the nose to improve cooling...

bloodywonderv2-6-jpg_1395691330.jpg

and the rear fuselage extends further towards the nose and is reinforced by tabs (that also help with wing alignment) and the barbecue skewer to prevent crash damage.

bloodywonderv2-7-jpg_1395691335.jpg

Josh and Alex had a little "friendly" combat when we were testing out the design. Fortunately, Ohio decided to be nice to us that day and we got some amazing shots!

bloodywonderv2-8-jpg_1395691339.jpg

bloodywonderv2-9-jpg_1395691343.jpg

bloodywonderv2-10-jpg_1395691345.jpg

bloodywonderv2-11-jpg_1395691348.jpg

bloodywonderv2-12-jpg_1395691350.jpg

But only flying two planes didn't quite do it for us, so we invited a few more pilots to have some fun!

bloodywonderv2-13-jpg_1395691351.jpg

bloodywonderv2-14-jpg_1395691353.jpg

bloodywonderv2-16-jpg_1395691354.jpg

So who was the big winner? This epic streamer combat can't really be shown in screenshots, so watch the episode to see for yourself!

LINKS

PLANS
Full Plans
Tiled Plans

Have a mod or suggestion to make this plane even better? Let us know!

Kronblom

I just finished watching the video. :) It flies great. I was about to start building this one and it seems I timed it right.

Literally the day before I get to the campus laser cutter to cut out the tail portion on the original bloody wonder. I already have the wing portion from the original completed, at a glance it doesn't look like there were any changes to the dimensions of the wing in this v2 besides a few guide holes for the new wing spar. With the bulk of the changes to the tail would the original wing be compatible with the new tail and under wing portions?

side note: plan on taking this guy up with the Blue wonder to get used to it and then get stupid with the beef from lazer toys

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
I love this plane. It's the airframe I learned to fly on. The Blue Wonder powers this platform very well. I can't imagine it would be very difficult to make the new tail and under-wing portions work with the original wing.

Last edited:
I'm hoping it will be a bit more forgiving compared to my previous step.

My first plane was a GWS slowstick with ailerons, my second step was the FT delta, unfortunately the motor I had available was the beef from a rather nasty first attempt at the ft duster. So the delta rockets but is VERY twitchy.
I have a blue wonder en route with servos for that exact reason with the bloody wonder.

Edit: That delta btw has survived at least 5 full throttle crashes into the desert dirt out here needing only minor repairs with some tape. Josh and Josh you sure design'em strong.

Last edited:

Jaxx

The Bloody Wonder is very forgiving. Just dial down the throws. With the Blue Wonder, it's a very smooth, slow flyer. It handles the wind very well too, and will easily carry a 3S 2200 for about 20 minutes of flight.

KishMot

Going to build this one for my buddy (I already build v1 for myself) so we can do some streamer combat. Looks like so much fun!

Looking forward to the build video as always.

Also, to stop deflection of the control rod, instead of ziptying a loop to the middle the rod, I shrink tubed a barbeque skewer to the entire rod.

The Bloody Wonder is very forgiving. Just dial down the throws. With the Blue Wonder, it's a very smooth, slow flyer. It handles the wind very well too, and will easily carry a 3S 2200 for about 20 minutes of flight.

A big SECOND to all of that, we had the F22 and the Bloody wonder out yesterday in 15 +/- winds. We thought we were going to launch, crash, go home - we ended up flying on and off for about an hour on 2 1500mah 3s and 1 2200mah 3s - The F22 was fun but the BW was a dream to fly we had the HK 24g hextronik motor and a 7x5 APC prop and it was faster than my skill level. and NO STALL totally cool. It will be my go to plane for a while, it took a beating too it's all covered in tape the firewall is smashed up under all the extreme packaging tape I think it's even got a little left thrust hhehehe and it still FLIES GREAT! I was gonna mend it some more but now I'll just build a V2 and go trash that one!!!

-Jes

Jaxx

I'm looking forward to building V2. Even though the 24g motor doesn't provide enormous power, I love being able to to fly for 40 minutes on 2 3S 2200 batteries. I run an 8x6 prop on mine (I'm at high altitude), and it's great. It's great for flying in small parks too.

Bolvon72

Mentor
My year old second build is still going strong through many an unintentional landing. I don't know if they were talking about my BWs rudders, but I'll pretend like they were :rolleyes: and throw that old video up for old time's sake.

Bolvon72

Mentor
Thanks Jaxx, I have more fun per mAh with this plane than any other. I have all the throws maxed on it, the elevator comes almost vertical.

Tactical Ex

Here are some revisions I made to my V1 Bloody Wonder for you to use or improve ...

1. I made use of the extra inch of foam board on each side and left it there when cutting out the wing, however, I did not cut the aileron any larger but left it the same size which kind of inset the aileron on the wing protecting it from crashes that could rip the hinge up.

2. I added an inch to the join section of the wing and the tail which slightly deadened the effect of the HUGE elevator.

3. I added a twin rudder rig much like Bolvon72's. The placement and mechanics of the servo are the same but I didn't change the V1 stabilizer shape, I instead cut pentagonal pieces that fit into the stabilizers with hot glue and bamboo skewers. It they break I don't have to rebuild the whole rudder assembly, just the broken piece.

4. Wing tip plug added to the wing tips to make it prettier. A skewer was used to protect and maintain the shape of the wing tip as well.

5. I covered the entire beast with laminate film. It adds weight but spring time is windy and wet in FL so it should help against both forces of evil.

Link to the gallery of Images of my modded Bloody Wonder.
http://forum.flitetest.com/album.php?albumid=203

Last edited:

area77

Does anyone know if the CG is in the same place on the BW-V2 as the old version? The new plans are missing that point...can we use the old location even with the upgrade mods of the V2.
thanks to anyone with this answer....

A77

Tactical Ex

Does anyone know if the CG is in the same place on the BW-V2 as the old version? The new plans are missing that point...can we use the old location even with the upgrade mods of the V2.
thanks to anyone with this answer....

A77

I don't think any of the upgrades changed the CG, the CG will still be in the same place but the weight distribution might be off by a small amount.

rockets4kids

Is there going to be a revised build video? Or does the old build video still apply to the V2 plans?

For someone who has never built a V1, this isn't entirely clear.

Tactical Ex

Is there going to be a revised build video? Or does the old build video still apply to the V2 plans?

For someone who has never built a V1, this isn't entirely clear.

The original video actually lacks 1 key step to begin with in cutting the rear fuse "L" shape. The rest of the steps wont really make a difference in building except in places where you cut will be easier.

1. The Naca duct doesn't change any building techniques, just cut it out.
2. The rear fuse is longer but the placement isn't really scientific. The video doesn't tell you how far to cut the "L" shape so just make sure that the bamboo skewer goes through both sections of the fuse and that it reaches about 1/3 of the way from the beginning to the end of the tail piece. This is your "bridge" of stability from the front to the back so make it however long you want and cut the 5mm section off the top as far back or far forward as you want.
3. Not sure if the spar is cut the same, you may have to pay attention there.
4. Skip the step where you cut the bevel for the trailing edge of the wing.