FT Bloody Wonder V2 - PROJECT

mreby

I went to a different store and they did it right away for $6.
Almost done building two of them. I'll try to figure out how to post pics.

mreby

IMG_20140409_090852.jpg
Here's my friends. Cool cloning app. Same guy holding both sides of the plane.
Also im trying to figure out prop size.I have a Turnigy 480 1020kv. I want fast and vertical but minimal torque roll.

kendrick57

Hi
I've been reworking some of the plans so they fit onto sheets of paper for easier printing I'll have a go at the bloody wonder v2 plans.
Oil have them fit onto 2 sheets of A1 unless a better size would be better for the US.

rossmort

Close Call! I had my second flight last night with the BW v2 and had what I thought was some odd torque roll issues....I brought it down and realized it was actually the result of only one motor screws being in place. I definitely got lucky it didn't come out completely. A very fun plane to fly. I'm trying to get a couple friends into the hobby right now, so I'll hopefully get to try some combat.

kendrick57

Hi
Can anyone in the US help me, I am trying to find an alternative to Adams foam board in the uk. I have bought from 2 suppliers so far, both stated their board was 5mm thick. The first was 6.5 mm thick and was a laminate of paper 2 sheets of thinner foam and paper! The second is sold as 5mm but has on the box 0.1875in it is thinner than the other and there is only 1 sheet of foam in the laminate but on measuring it with my ruler it is about 5 mm. Can anyone from the US check the thickness of the original Adams foamboard to check I have now found a suitable alternative.
Kendrick

Tactical Ex

Hi
Can anyone in the US help me, I am trying to find an alternative to Adams foam board in the uk. I have bought from 2 suppliers so far, both stated their board was 5mm thick. The first was 6.5 mm thick and was a laminate of paper 2 sheets of thinner foam and paper! The second is sold as 5mm but has on the box 0.1875in it is thinner than the other and there is only 1 sheet of foam in the laminate but on measuring it with my ruler it is about 5 mm. Can anyone from the US check the thickness of the original Adams foamboard to check I have now found a suitable alternative.
Kendrick

The Dollar Tree, or "Adam's", foam board found in the USA is 5mm thick (Single piece of foam with paper laminated to each side). Anything relatively close will work, if it is heavier then some minor adjustments to power plant or wing size will fix that.

It's looked symmetrical within the limits of what I can see with my eyes. But there is also potential for my ailerons themselves to be twisted, so that when the inboard end is flush the outboard end is slightly raised for example.

I said the hell with it and adjusted the right aileron to have a slight downward angle, just below flush, and the slight increase in lift seems to have offset the tendency to roll. The roll could be a slight twist induced in the tail too, the plane isn't a perfect square H at the back.

Flew it over the weekend a few times, always a fun plane. Getting a little nicked up, will build some V2 soon.

Hrmmm, I don't know if I would attribute your problems to torque roll, maybe not entirely. I have an 8x6 prop on a higher torque motor and I don't see something that severe. I do have a fairly heavy plane but, still, I think it is less likely. You might want to check the wing and see if they are formed symmetrically between the right and left wing.

mreby

ive been flying mine and its pretty cool! however... my bbq skewer was too high and near the edge of my powerpod and i was showing off with high rates. also my battery is all the way to the rear of powerpod. its pretty cool to see an airplane falling like a leaf, its landing gear falling seperate, and the motor,esc,receiver,and battery falling behind it with the prop spinning. i was in shock then finally turned off throttle.
never thought id leave a field with my plane fine but lose my receiver. I may go out there for awhile with a friends metal detector!
lesson #6,982 learned the hard way.
oh and the 9x6 works the best with the 480 1020kv.

fnffishcore

Fixes to TILED plans

Hi folks, this is my first time posting here, though I've been following Flite Test for a while on YouTube. I've been wanting to scratchbuild one of the many awesome designs for a while and finally settled on the Bloody Wonder. I have a few Don's Wicked 3000kv motors looking for homes, so I'm hoping to build a real screamer ;)

I printed out the TILED plans and was assembling them last night when I ran into a couple issues. Specifically, the last 10 or so pages were pretty much missing the top trim lines. Also, the width of the trim lines (8" x 10") seemed to shrink a bit on these last 10 or so pages, though I believe this was due to my printer. Additionally, the first page indicated "page 1 of 30" but there only 18 pages. And lastly, page 9 was out of order and fell just before page 18. So this morning I made the following corrections which will hopefully yield a better printout:

• Shifted clipping mask up slightly on the last 10 or so pages, so the top trim lines are now visible.
• Corrected page 1 to read "page 1 of 18".
• Moved page 9 into the correct position.
• Resized the pages to 8.5" x 11" <--- This should hopefully prevent any anomalies when allowing the printer to print at 100% and automatically center the original reduced page size (at least on my printer).

If anybody is interested, you can download the plans from my Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwzoG_wJavTCQjJ4d2NnYUVxWWs&usp=sharing

I can't wait to get this sucker built and tearing up the skies, it looks like such a blast to fly!

pzanni

Eltigre
Hi all.

Thanks ft for the plans and everyone's feedback/builds, been very helpful.

My first build.

Going with 4mm corflute as this is a budget build. Aside from salvaged electronics from a hk mini glider everything will be "found" items (aside from the glue!)... Using some SPAD Techniques for the build.

Made wing and tail from one piece and extended the fuse to 1cm or so from elevator with a more gradual taper.

Wing and fuse almost complete. 270gms so far, bare.

Motor: hk 1350kv 100w
Prop: 8x4
Esc: 20amp
Servo: aileron hk mg 9gm. Elevator: 5gm hxt
Battery: 3s 1300 and a 2s 800 as back up

Would like to hear what people think of the motor for this setup power wise.

More build photos to follow.

Thanks, Paul

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

JTI

Just Throw It
I've built 3 of these. One with rudders and leds in the wing. One V1and one a slow flier for my grandson.
As a newb replaced many props and met the ground hard several times. Today flying great and looked down at my watch :( gone.
I have snapped the tail off and wondering about really beefing it up with a paint stirrer. I tried gift cards but they son't seem to be stiff enough.
The wing holds up good, rebuilding the fuse and power pod ...... again. Love this plane.

Need some practice? Real Flight 7 swap pages has a Sig Wonder.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=search

area77

Thanks PZANNI for the inspiration...I have been wanting to build one from the same material but haven't got around to it. Also thanks for the build tips! Cant wait to see more pic and hopefully a maiden video?

pzanni

Eltigre
Thanks JTI. I COULD USE A SIM. Hope your re-build goes well.

Area77, glad you found it useful. Finished now and AUW is 500gms so I think my little motor is a little weak. Specs say max thrust is 450gm&#8230; might have to strap a 2200mah 3s on.

Completed photos up tonight.

Landing gear is pretty flimsy.

Set up dual rates and all looks good to go.

Will try for a video this Sunday if there's some spare hands about.

P

pzanni

Eltigre
The Bearded Lady

Here's the pics of complete build. I'm calling her "The Bearded Lady" which is the brand of bourbon on the correx/corflute sign used for the wing...

I ended up buying the 1.4mm piano wire for LG and push rods and re-used wheels off another model.

Control horns are home made from PVC pipe I pulled from the door of a car wreck!

COG does appear to be just behind spar as per original plans, even with modifications.

Re-weighed with a 1300mAh 3s and AUW is 525gms. One online calc (webocalc - http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/software/webocalc_1.5.2/html/webocalc_metric.html) I used said it'll fly really well but I can't see it using a 100w 28gm motor, certainly not with a streamer.

Anyway, will see on the weekend.

Cheers, Paul

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg