FT Blunt Nose Versa motor?

Platon

Hey,

Finished building my blunt nose versa. What motor should I use?
I want a motor giving me fast performance and long flight times.
I am planning to use a 10x7 prop. I have checked the cg without any electronics mounted (servos doesn't count) and it's sooo tail heavy.
I tried placing 2 3s 2200 in the front but it was still tail heavy!!
Is this normal?
With a big motor in the back, it will be even more tail heavy meaning I will need to use an even bigger battery in the front!
Do you place alot of extra weight in the front or do you just use an enormous battery instead?

thanks!

BankNYank!

Mentor
Hey,

Finished building my blunt nose versa. What motor should I use?
I want a motor giving me fast performance and long flight times.
I am planning to use a 10x7 prop. I have checked the cg without any electronics mounted (servos doesn't count) and it's sooo tail heavy.
I tried placing 2 3s 2200 in the front but it was still tail heavy!!
Is this normal?
With a big motor in the back, it will be even more tail heavy meaning I will need to use an even bigger battery in the front!
Do you place alot of extra weight in the front or do you just use an enormous battery instead?

thanks!

Fast performance and long flight times is what everyone wants! ;) It's more a balancing act than anything else.

Why do you specifically want to swing a 10X7 prop?

As for CG, check your CG marks are in the right place. Way tail heavy with no motors attached just sounds odd. This is my blunt nose versa and it balances out pretty good with a pair of 3s 2650's in the front and just a little extra weight. And thats with two motors in the back.

As a side note you do NOT want to fly a delta style wing that is tail heavy. Unless your up for some crazy-only-half-in-control-by-the-seat-of-your-pants-flying that will probably end with the walk of shame.

Last edited:

Platon

Fast performance and long flight times is what everyone wants! ;) It's more a balancing act than anything else.

Why do you specifically want to swing a 10X7 prop?

As for CG, check your CG marks are in the right place. Way tail heavy with no motors attached just sounds odd. This is my blunt nose versa and it balances out pretty good with a pair of 3s 2650's in the front and just a little extra weight. And thats with two motors in the back.

As a side note you do NOT want to fly a delta style wing that is tail heavy. Unless your up for some crazy-only-half-in-control-by-the-seat-of-your-pants-flying that will probably end with the walk of shame.

Tried again and the balance seems to be OK with 2 2200.
I don't need to swing a 10X7 prop, just picked some random size :)
What motor and battery should I get?

BankNYank!

Mentor
I was hoping others would chime in with their recommendations but since no one has I'll give you mine.

I recommend something around a park 450 motor. I like Suppo motors so my recommendation is a Suppo 2810/9 or a 2814/6 for just a few dollars more. Now these motors are going to give you wild performance if you push them but they will seriously cut down your flight times. To keep your flight times up you will need to be nice to them and keep them at or below half throttle. And I recommend a minimum of a 40amp esc.

With two 3s 2200's I'm guessing you'll get around 15 to 20min flight times if you don't push to hard. Maybe a little more.

Last edited:

Platon

I was hoping others would chime in with their recommendations but since no one has I'll give you mine.

I recommend something around a park 450 motor. I like Suppo motors so my recommendation is a Suppo 2810/9 or a 2814/6 for just a few dollars more. Now these motors are going to give you wild performance if you push them but they will seriously cut down your flight times. To keep your flight times up you will need to be nice to them and keep them at or below half throttle. And I recommend a minimum of a 40amp esc.

With two 3s 2200's I'm guessing you'll get around 15 to 20min flight times if you don't push to hard. Maybe a little more.

What prop with the 2814/6 motor?

thanks for your help!

My reconmendation, providing your not doing FPV, is to use the Grayson Hobby V3 microjet with a 6X4 APC, its suprising how good it is on power. If its not to heavy you should be find. I am having a blast with mine, its fast when you want it to be but when you pull back the power i get around 12 minutes of flight time.

BankNYank!

Mentor
What prop with the 2814/6 motor?

thanks for your help!

I don't have that specific motor so I'm going to give you my best guess. I did some looking and I would suggest an 8x4 prop. An 8x5 may be okay also. You can also go smaller diameter with more pitch if your looking for speed over performance. I looked on eCalc and they don't have Suppo motors listed and I don't have time this morning to sort out which motor they do list that would come close spec wise. You can take a look yourself if you'd like. Just google "eCalc". Props are cheap so you may just wanna get a couple of each and try them. Just be careful not to push your motor too hard. A watt meter is a good investment. I have the HK-010 and it does its job.

SteevyT

I'm pushing 15 min on a single 3S 2200 with a 1450kv motor swinging a 8x6. I'm not even draining my batteries all the way since I don't really have a low voltage cut off, but after a flight like that I have about 11V left in my batteries (just a hair more, probably closer to 11.1V or 11.2V) measured with a multimeter.

Winglet

graysonmot.jpg Wing.jpg I'm currently flying 2 Blunt Nose Versa Wings. I liked the first one so much, I though I should have a spare. These are probably the best overall airplanes I have ever built. (and I have built more than my share) I think my power arrangement is perfect. I used two other combinations before finally installing a Grayson Hobbies GH2217-06 with an APC 8x4 propeller. My battery is a Grayson Blue Series 3000mah 20C. It will move along plenty fast if that is what you like. Climb is super good! My flights are typically a combination of higher power fast flight down low and then extremely rapid climbs to a spec, where I throttle to off and do lots of gliding and soaring. My longest continuous flight so far was 1 hour and 22 minutes. Could have stayed up longer but my neck was killing me. Landed with about 10.8 volts left.

Service from Grayson is good and fast.

Last edited: