FT Bomber - A B-36 Peacemaker Adaptation

thomahawk0

Josh/David:

It would be pretty awesome to see you guys build bombers. My thought was a ridiculously large bomber based on the B-36 Peacemaker that uses foam board and several techniques used on other swappables. It would be awesome to see a bombing run challenge utilizing your creation. I have no doubt you guys can pull it off, but I would want the build to use the following requirements:
1. Foam board construction
2. Ability to remove and fit wings into a car trunk for transport (Multiple sections?)
3. Ability to separate fuselage for transport
4. Wingspan something like 96"-120"+
5. Working bomb bay and doors
6. Use of power pods a bonus, especially with 6 motors

I think this would be a neat scratch build challenge that would bring in new or more advanced build techniques along with pushing the limits of foam board construction that we all love. For inspiration, use this post by brettp2004.
http://flitetest.com/articles/go-big-or-go-home-4-motor-scratch-build

Are you up to the challenge?

Steve

6 pushers and 4 edf's? Yikes! I really don't see how a foam wing could support all that even sans edf's I would love to be proven wrong however!

The only 6 motor foamies I have seen have been for the Spruce Goose and those have been pretty tiny. Less than 30 in span.

KFC

HodgeHound Mercenary
I don't see why it couldn't be done. I don't think it would even be terribly difficult. The number of motors isn't important. Anybody can mount a whole bunch of motors on an airplane and make it fly:

The key would be keeping the weight down as much as possible. If you build the plane as a hollow tube and use the skin panels to distribute the flight loads, then it shouldn't be too hard to put a B-36 together. It would probably be a lot easier than the B-52 I'm almost finished putting together:
a6064023-216-IMG_1269.jpg

thomahawk0

6 pushers and 4 edf's? Yikes! I really don't see how a foam wing could support all that even sans edf's

I was thinking more of the early variants with just the 6 pushers. I don't think it's impossible to build. I just imagine the general craziness that would ensue once Josh and David started going head to head with it doing bombing runs. An interesting build plus fun competition. :)

Awesome B-52! I saw a demo flight of a B-36 constructed out of blue foam last year and was very impressed. The picture above looks fantastic!

Steve

earthsciteach

I'd also like to see the FT guys take on a more complex build.
KFC - Incredible B-52! Do you have a build log posted anywhere?

KFC

HodgeHound Mercenary
Been dreaming of building one for years. Actually started construction about 3 weeks ago.

earthsciteach

Damn! You don't mess around.

Where do you buy your blue foam? I can't seem to find decent blue foam here in PA. The stuff Lowes carries is perforated and very brittle. Also, how do you roll the tight curves?

KFC

HodgeHound Mercenary
Damn! You don't mess around.

Where do you buy your blue foam? I can't seem to find decent blue foam here in PA. The stuff Lowes carries is perforated and very brittle. Also, how do you roll the tight curves?

My local Lowe's has always had 1/4" fff in stock. I just bought 3 bundles the other day because they had it on clearance. Apparently they won't be stocking it in the future, but you might try and ask your local hardware store if they can special order it for you.

As far as the tight curves go, i leave the skin on and roll it with a smaller diameter cylinder.