Ft Bronco and homemade OV-10 scale(ish) fuselage

Made with a bit of foam glue and a cut down 2 liter bottle.... this is a fist attempt on this so it's not perfect and a bit messy.. please let me know what you think and any suggestions or improvements you can think of. If anyone is interested in my design for this I can make up a plan and a tutorial and you guys can modify my idea make it better,harder,stronger,faster!!
But by all means please share so we can all benefit
It's late for me so I'll add more detailed pics tomorrow.
IMG_9597.JPG

I glued in the canopy, for now, couldn't figure out a very good way to use it as a hatch.
I cut a long section of the bottom and added a tab to both sides with very strong magnets
May or may not get torn up in belly landings.. I'm not sure... I welcome any inputs.. IMG_9602.JPG IMG_9604.JPG

Thank you.. for the compliment. I think it looks ok for a first attempt. I'm not really happy with how messy it ended up looking close up. But once I perfect my technique I think it will look really good. Here's a few photos of the process and the template I made for the fuselage.
IMG_9573.JPG IMG_9581.JPG IMG_9587.JPG IMG_9590.JPG IMG_9591.JPG IMG_9594.JPG

New cockpit's maiden

Flew really great! No problems so far.. landed in tall grass though so I'm still not sure about the hatch. I'm running the "large" power packs 2215/09's with 9x4.7's and the reason for that was I wanted to have plenty 'o' power to run my 3s 5200mAh batteries. This time (out of lazy) (didn't calculate draw) I used only enough juice to get it up and take it around the field a few times (may have to watch motor heat with this setup of at full throttle for long time)
Servo throws are still maxed etc. (I'll tune later) she screams if I want her to, but flys pretty gentle if I slow down. Shoot with rudders and throws, On this pack and maybe different props she'd practically do 3D! I'd say a bit twitchy on controls until I got used to her. But some pitch and servo set up will take that right out (maybe 30 expo) Needed two steps left aileron to steady a pull tendency but I may need to just line them up better, not bothering with differential ail yet they are just Y'd. I did put 15% diff throttle on the motors but was having so much fun banking and yanking her I honestly forgot to touch the rudder stick so I'll test that after I get the rest of the throws tuned.

Having real problems working up a way to template the canopy from the 2 liter bottle. I have a process to get it to size but I'm trying to figure out a way on paper to explain how you guys can do it. Doesn't help that I had to work all night. I'm tired.
I'll hit it again tomorrow after work and try to come up with something. Other than that the actual fuse' is easy to put down, just have to convert measurements from my template to paper

Fuse First Plan Printable

I'm not sure how to scale this turned out. should be printable, but check the measurements and note 3/16" is just a note on the size of score cut. Its what I was using on my foam, but that will change with thinner or thicker foam..It needs the score cuts to be the thickness of what foam you are using to fold properly. other than that i need to make a template for the tail cap and nose cap as well as a template for the bottle cut for the canopy... need sleep now but got this part done.. feel free to ask if something isn't clear, but it should be pretty straight forward I think. I'll get the rest to you tomorrow or the next day. im also thinking that i may be able to modify the canopy cut design and make it even closer to the scale canopy, ill revise as i test out things... thanks and goodluck!! FuselageOV10foam1.jpg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You could just give directions for the canopy. Like, top top off X" back, cut bottom off X" back and then cut down middle.

Just a suggestion, rounded surfaces are a huge PITA to do instructions/plans for.

You could just give directions for the canopy. Like, top top off X" back, cut bottom off X" back and then cut down middle.

Just a suggestion, rounded surfaces are a huge PITA to do instructions/plans for.

Yes, but I think I have a way to make a paper template and also working on more realistic version 2!
I should have something you guys can work with very soon. Thanks for your interest/suggestions and patience.
Getting ready for work tonight I'll hit the drawing board again in the morning.

Sorry it's been a few days. Have made several of these and some improvements to the design.. I'll post up a whole plan as soon as I'm done. Still working up a good template for canopy. On the third version of it now and still working on it as I have time. Nothing new that's quite ready to post yet. But soon! I'll keep everyone up to date.

topher65

love your design for the fuse. Did you ever finish any printable design? Would like to see more photos of it also.