FT Bronco build

slipshift

I'm building a Bronco and the motor specifications call for 370-425 1000kv (min). Does that mean 1000kv or higher, or is it 1000kv or lower? Hopefully, with twin engines this will be a high wing plane I can keep in the air. 5 Tiny Trainers, 4 Blu-Babys, and 2 Simple Cubs all were a struggle to keep in the air all came down on their own. However, the Spitfire, Scout, and F-22 were a real pleasure to fly. They just seemed more intuitive. At first I thought I was building the high wings wrong but it is the same on ClearView also.

Jim

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'm building a Bronco and the motor specifications call for 370-425 1000kv (min). Does that mean 1000kv or higher, or is it 1000kv or lower? Hopefully, with twin engines this will be a high wing plane I can keep in the air. 5 Tiny Trainers, 4 Blu-Babys, and 2 Simple Cubs all were a struggle to keep in the air all came down on their own. However, the Spitfire, Scout, and F-22 were a real pleasure to fly. They just seemed more intuitive. At first I thought I was building the high wings wrong but it is the same on ClearView also.

Jim
I would believe that it means or higher. If it had read Max it would mean or lower!

Whilst I have never had a Blu-Baby the TT and the simple cub do benefit from a slight increase in main wing incidence angle. My Simple cub would only fly at a fairly fast pace and became very unstable as it slowed and seemed to be determined to head for the ground even when trimmed for level flight at speed. I just put a 1.5mm piece of wooden packing under the wing Leading Edge and now it flies very slow, floats around in a glide with minimal height loss and flares beautifully on landing. I had a similar experience with the TT and the sport wing though I used half as much packing.

Again I have not built and tested the F-22 as yet but I have for the other 2 listed. If you examine the plane when assembled you will note that both have a slight positive value of wing incidence which makes all of the difference to the way they handle.

Good luck with the Bronco as it has a loyal following on the forums.

Just my personal experience.

have fun!

slipshift

My Simple cub would only fly at a fairly fast pace and became very unstable as it slowed and seemed to be determined to head for the ground even when trimmed for level flight at speed.
Thank you Hai-Lee! You have solved my problem, my first planes were all high winged and I would fly them as slow as I could, probably stalling them out and when they fell out of the sky I would panic and overcontrol. I still don't have much flying time but I'm getting there.

Jim

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thank you Hai-Lee! You have solved my problem, my first planes were all high winged and I would fly them as slow as I could, probably stalling them out and when they fell out of the sky I would panic and overcontrol. I still don't have much flying time but I'm getting there.

Jim
I am not "Blowing up your Kilt", but you are doing very well. You seem to have the courage and the drive to go far. You are learning quickly but the little "Nuggets" of information can be hard to find at times. I flew my Simple Cub in its poor handling state for quite a while before I tired of its handling and its inability to handle even the slightest cross wind. It took a couple of different attempts but I found out my cubs issue when helping someone get their Retail Supercub sorted out after a repair necessitated by a tree inflicted shredding. He had fitted the tail at the wrong angle and his cub was flying as poorly as my simple cub.

I went through his repair and after a few simple measurements noticed the tail incidence was wrong, (too positive). I suggested adding a piece or packing under the wing LE and when he did so the plane flew much better. So heck I did the same on my simple cub and it flew beautifully. The packing is now a permanent part of my Simple cub builds!

As builds can vary considerably I would suggest you try a smaller shim first and if it gets better you just play with the shim thickness to get what works best for you!

Keep up the good work!

have fun!

d8veh

Elite member
the motor specifications call for 370-425 1000kv (min). Does that mean 1000kv or higher, or is it 1000kv or lower?
It's not as simple as that. You can use a motor with a higher or lower Kv. It depends which battery, propeller and ESC you want to use. I can imagine that the Bronco would work really well with a pair of those really cheap A2212 motors that you can get from Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A2212-1000...h=item590eacbca7:g:H1cAAOSwnbZYHVHy:rk:2:pf:0

slipshift

Another question. The Bronco will have counter-rotating props with collet prop adapters, so do I need a special collet adapter for the left handed prop?

Jim

Chuppster

Another question. The Bronco will have counter-rotating props with collet prop adapters, so do I need a special collet adapter for the left handed prop?

Jim

If you tighten the collet properly you should't have any issues with it coming loose. If you're really nervous just put some blue thread locker on it and you should be good to go!

dayve

It's not as simple as that. You can use a motor with a higher or lower Kv. It depends which battery, propeller and ESC you want to use. I can imagine that the Bronco would work really well with a pair of those really cheap A2212 motors that you can get from Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/A2212-1000...h=item590eacbca7:g:H1cAAOSwnbZYHVHy:rk:2:pf:0

Agreed. I use a very similar pair of 2212 1000kv motors on my Sea Duck. They're fine on 3S or 4S with 9x4.5 props. They seem to almost always be $5 at Banggood. They are great motors for that price! The Bronco is quite a bit less plane than the Duck. Personally, I'd go with something like the 2212 1400kv version of that same motor (with 8x4 or 8x6 props) for the Bronco.

Also, to agree with Chuppster above, I've never had an issue with collets coming loose with counter rotating props.