FT Bronco

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
With just a tiny bit of skill, any of the FT designs can be modified to suit your tastes. This forum is full of highly skilled types so why is there anyone complaining about how they look?
I figure that both Peter and Josh try and keep it simple and the new FT Explorer is ripe for mods....Heck, they ALL are!
I still want to see a speed build kit of the C19 flying boxcar from the Pixar movie "Fire & Rescue" episode!
I'm getting cramps in my hands pulling a knife for the full length of every board! The FT Bronco and its VTOL brother look like a couple of keepers to me! Gee, I just spent a couple of hundred on new FT kits this past week! They were on my doorstep today! Sooo many projects, so little time.....Sigh....

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Peter's idea of a joke:
gkr7xpF.jpg

I'm convinced he posts on the forum under an alternative name so no one recognizes him.

capeair

Still waiting for an FT design ro fly off water

The SeaDuck - here it is! I've been working for several months on the SeaDuck and the plan is almost completed. The prototype in the photo has 90cm wingspan and weighs 560 grams without battery. The maiden flight was successful, albeit somewhat underpowered with the pm1806 2300kv.

What wingspan the final model should have?

View attachment 56871

AircPirateNinsei,

I love your Sea Duck! Can't wait to see the plans. I have been building FT planes for over a year now and love everything about them and the whole FT philosophy. But, I like to fly off water. Peter's paper and PU waterproofing system seems like an effective way to handle the materials problem. Now all that is needed is a few design modifications to existing air frames. I am not at the point where I feel confident to do the design changes myself. Let's hope these new models designed to be a base design for modification and experimentation will lead to something that floats. Keep up the good work.

Regarding wingspan for the Sea Duck, my sense from the photo is that this design looks to have a lot of fuselage for the wing area. Off water, weight is always trouble. More wing area, without fuselage increase, might add lift to compensate for the extra weight needed to waterproof the foam. My transportation limit (behind the seat of my pickup) is about 45."

Thanks to you and everyone else who keeps this hobby fresh and interesting. I am retired now and must admit the amount of time I spend with my new passion is "obscene."

marblekit

Maiden flight of the Flitetest FT Bronco. Downloaded the plans from the Flitetest website and made this plane exactly as described in their build video so no need for me to make one too!

Specs:

Sunnysky 2208 1500kv motors
20amp ESCs
4x 9gram Turnigy servos
LemonRX 7-ch Stabilzer Receiver
2200mah Lipo for this maiden flight.

It flies really nice. Can go fast and slow and is fairly acrobatic. I highly recommend this for FPV which is what I will be adding to this plane in the near future.

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
AircPirateNinsei,

I love your Sea Duck! Can't wait to see the plans. I have been building FT planes for over a year now and love everything about them and the whole FT philosophy. But, I like to fly off water. Peter's paper and PU waterproofing system seems like an effective way to handle the materials problem. Now all that is needed is a few design modifications to existing air frames. I am not at the point where I feel confident to do the design changes myself. Let's hope these new models designed to be a base design for modification and experimentation will lead to something that floats. Keep up the good work.

Regarding wingspan for the Sea Duck, my sense from the photo is that this design looks to have a lot of fuselage for the wing area. Off water, weight is always trouble. More wing area, without fuselage increase, might add lift to compensate for the extra weight needed to waterproof the foam. My transportation limit (behind the seat of my pickup) is about 45."

Thanks to you and everyone else who keeps this hobby fresh and interesting. I am retired now and must admit the amount of time I spend with my new passion is "obscene."

Thanks for the advice! The Sea Duck plans are online. Look here! :D

I noticed the small wing area, but that is the “Scale”-Look of the pictures that I have found. The wingspan of 45 inches sounds good for the next build - must measure what fits in my car! She should get a larger wing - like the one of the Bronco.