FT Bronco

I was just looking at the Flite Test store and i saw this:
ft bronco.jpg
it looksa bit like the Chimera VTOL Peter made.

if there is already a thread on this i apologise (i couldnt see one)
Will

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
While I like the recent decision to move away from using poster board for simplicity reasons, I can't say I'm a fan of the looks. There seems to be less emphasis on the look of the plane compared to everything else lately.

Comparing the mustang or spit to the latest FT designs, visually they are a step backward. That's a big bummer to me.

I see what you mean. The bushwacker, explorqer and this look quite bland compared to the earlier aircraft, and are less visually interesting. I wish they would do more warbirds like a hurricane, lysander and lightning;)

jmiah007

While I usually agree. I've been wanting one of these, as it looks so much like one of my favorite planes of my childhood, the SeaDuck from TaleSpin!! So I really want one!!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Comparing the mustang or spit to the latest FT designs, visually they are a step backward. That's a big bummer to me.

Well, I'm guessing this will also be an FT connections platform, so it's not exactly made to be pretty. I'd definitely agree with you that some of the recent designs aren't exactly the prettiest things in the world. That's what we have you for right? I'm sure we'll get some cooler looking stuff soon. The sportster shouldn't be far off and the shinden should be on the chopping block too.

markyoe

I see what you mean. The bushwacker, explorqer and this look quite bland compared to the earlier aircraft, and are less visually interesting. I wish they would do more warbirds like a hurricane, lysander and lightning;)

Don't forget the Shinden! :) That should be coming out pretty soon.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I see it as a Peter vs. Josh thing. Peter likes really boxy designs and the last few have been his. Compare the FT Mini Cruiser to the Mini Guinea. the Explorer makes sense to me as it is built. The mods are all Peters and I think look pretty good. Hopefully they get back into some more detailed designs soon though (don't they have one of yours coming soon?). It could also be an effect of the popularity of the Storch.

I used to be intimidated by poster board (I was pretty much intimidated by every new phase of building) but I have some to really enjoy the finished look it brings and it goes on pretty easily.

While I like the recent decision to move away from using poster board for simplicity reasons, I can't say I'm a fan of the looks. There seems to be less emphasis on the look of the plane compared to everything else lately.

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times

I was thinking the very same thing. I still like poster board though.

Last edited:
The latest planes are designed for the new builder and flyer. Nerdnic yours are for all us old and not so old builders and flyers that are looking for a little more than the basic. FT needs both, we can not forget what the kids, and us old guys need to get involved in the hobby. In the 5 years before I found Flitetest, I only trained 3 pilots all over 55. In the last 2 months I have soloed 4, got 3 more to start and will solo soon. All have built FT planes. All are under 15. Woo Hoo. Don't give up design, build, post, share. This is a great place. Just ask and someone will figure it out.

Jimmy

Topdawg

Personally, I agree with nerdnic. I love the look of curves and it adds to the build challenge for me. I have built a few FT designs and I have loved them all. Heck, I have built two explorers and have not been able to fly either one yet, one with LED's and one with FPV/APM setup. However, I think others have also hit the nail on the head. This hobby and the simple designs and quick builds are bringing new people into the hobby everyday and that is a bonus for everyone. So I can not argue with the fact that they are producing these designs. Just look at the FT Explorer thread and you will see how many people have requested the Bronco. However, on the flip side, I do not think I will be building this design. No offense to Peter and Josh and the FT team, but this design just does not peek my interest. I have some multirotors already and while those are fun I still love my planes even more. So even to turn the Bronco into a VTOL does not interest me. I would still like to see some curves added to future designs though.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
nerdnic im with you i miss the poster board clean look just look at the cruiser a beautiful plane if they were to release i now the would make the nose by peeling the paper on one side that would be your nose but i also under stand that the foam is more durable

Spastickitten

I think they will get out of the easy to build planes as time goes on, look at their first planes, the delta, nutball, and flyer. They are just in a phase, we need to prod the sripol for some pro designs to get pro designs. I personally am fine with the newer plans, but I only have built the ft22 so these are a step up. Don't forget, they do this for free... I'm still blown away at just that...

PS. Airhawk is right, the foam is a little tougher...
plane6.jpg

Last edited:

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
While I usually agree. I've been wanting one of these, as it looks so much like one of my favorite planes of my childhood, the SeaDuck from TaleSpin!! So I really want one!!

The SeaDuck - here it is! I've been working for several months on the SeaDuck and the plan is almost completed. The prototype in the photo has 90cm wingspan and weighs 560 grams without battery. The maiden flight was successful, albeit somewhat underpowered with the pm1806 2300kv.

What wingspan the final model should have?

151027_Seaduck_900mm.jpg

Grauwulf

I have a question about modifying the Bronco, hopefully you guys can weigh in on this. I am envisioning modifying the Bronco to be a single motor pusher instead of a tractor twin. I'm looking at making something that will make a decent FPV platform, but I love the twin boom design and would prefer a single motor to save weight. What do you guys think, is it feasible?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
With enough power, yes. It's basically just an explorer with 2 motors from what I can see, so I'd imagine you can get away with 1 just fine.

RockNBurn

The SeaDuck - here it is! I've been working for several months on the SeaDuck and the plan is almost completed. The prototype in the photo has 90cm wingspan and weighs 560 grams without battery. The maiden flight was successful, albeit somewhat underpowered with the pm1806 2300kv.

What wingspan the final model should have?

90cm is a sweet spot to carry in the back of the car.
I mean, I like bit planes (1,50 to 2 m), but I must think on portability as well. 90cm to 1,2 m is a good size.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I have a question about modifying the Bronco, hopefully you guys can weigh in on this. I am envisioning modifying the Bronco to be a single motor pusher instead of a tractor twin. I'm looking at making something that will make a decent FPV platform, but I love the twin boom design and would prefer a single motor to save weight. What do you guys think, is it feasible?

I think you are going to be very pleased when the FT Bronco SBK and plans are released. ;)

Grauwulf

Thanks for the heads up Dan! I'm guessing Peter already went down this thought path and it's going to be included in the plans? Lol