FT Bushwacker BUILD

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Got the fuse done on the Whacker. Turned out really well, super square and centred and the balance will turn out really good once everything is installed. Check it out:
View attachment 148082
The profile turned out just like I imagined it would, nice and slick in the tail section. Took out the droopy belly of the tail to save weight, straightened out the top of the tail from the rear windshield back at the same incidence angle from the original plans so it accentuates the rear windshield even more, not so blended. This gave me to opportunity to put the Hstab on top of the fuse and exposes the bottom of the Vstab more, which gives it more of a 3D look and more surface for lateral stability. Peter did say the wing fences on the ends of the Hstab were for looks, I decided there should be the same amount of exposed surface without them and saved some weight at the end of the tail as well. View attachment 148083
Front profile shows That I actually got this thing square compared to my first failed attempt. How do you like the double tires?...
View attachment 148084
The landing gear struts are double layers of FB sandwiched together, double beveled in the front, cut slimmer in behind the wire so the skewer makes contact with the wire itself, eliminating a degree of failure in the foam between the wire and the skewer. Being two layers of FB it creates twice the amount of contact of the struts to the fuse. In the belly of the fuse are skewers frenched in with the added pop sticks reinforcing the inside like in the stock build. The servos are now inside way closer to the CG, no need for extensions, and I was able to use the skewer control rods from the Baby Blender, no cutting or bending. Here is where things get fun, baby needs a new pair of shoes...
View attachment 148085 These skis are made of polystyrene plastic, the stuff I use for control horns, which apparently is easy to heat with a heat gun and form. The axle housing is made from a pen tube and is all glued together with HG...
View attachment 148086
I did glue one nickel a little back from center on the skis to get a positive angle of attack so the skis don't nose into the snow, (not shown in the pics). The wheels and the skis will be held onto the axles with set screw collars.
View attachment 148088
One more gratuitous shot for posterity.

I am thinking the skis might be a bit short but we will see if there is enough snow in the maiden, they will work better then the wheels I have on the bench. And I will be building the FB wheels from the plans as well.

Thanks for reading

Looks AWESOME!

OliverW

Legendary member
Got the fuse done on the Whacker. Turned out really well, super square and centred and the balance will turn out really good once everything is installed. Check it out:
View attachment 148082
The profile turned out just like I imagined it would, nice and slick in the tail section. Took out the droopy belly of the tail to save weight, straightened out the top of the tail from the rear windshield back at the same incidence angle from the original plans so it accentuates the rear windshield even more, not so blended. This gave me to opportunity to put the Hstab on top of the fuse and exposes the bottom of the Vstab more, which gives it more of a 3D look and more surface for lateral stability. Peter did say the wing fences on the ends of the Hstab were for looks, I decided there should be the same amount of exposed surface without them and saved some weight at the end of the tail as well. View attachment 148083
Front profile shows That I actually got this thing square compared to my first failed attempt. How do you like the double tires?...
View attachment 148084
The landing gear struts are double layers of FB sandwiched together, double beveled in the front, cut slimmer in behind the wire so the skewer makes contact with the wire itself, eliminating a degree of failure in the foam between the wire and the skewer. Being two layers of FB it creates twice the amount of contact of the struts to the fuse. In the belly of the fuse are skewers frenched in with the added pop sticks reinforcing the inside like in the stock build. The servos are now inside way closer to the CG, no need for extensions, and I was able to use the skewer control rods from the Baby Blender, no cutting or bending. Here is where things get fun, baby needs a new pair of shoes...
View attachment 148085 These skis are made of polystyrene plastic, the stuff I use for control horns, which apparently is easy to heat with a heat gun and form. The axle housing is made from a pen tube and is all glued together with HG...
View attachment 148086
I did glue one nickel a little back from center on the skis to get a positive angle of attack so the skis don't nose into the snow, (not shown in the pics). The wheels and the skis will be held onto the axles with set screw collars.
View attachment 148088
One more gratuitous shot for posterity.

I am thinking the skis might be a bit short but we will see if there is enough snow in the maiden, they will work better then the wheels I have on the bench. And I will be building the FB wheels from the plans as well.

Thanks for reading
Dually bushwacker!!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Got the tundra wheels made up and on the Whacker. Since I have seen it with the smaller wheels and the skis now these look kind of odd being so big but it does up the cool factor a notch or two:
20191115_134230.jpg
20191115_134250.jpg
20191115_134304.jpg

The left wheel, (right hand side from this perspective) has inherited a nice wobble due to a not-so-centers axle hole on the outer panel, might help keep the plane tracking a little right on take off, no need for rudder input lol. We will see.

The next on the line for this will be to Minwax the fuse and I will be making a Quick Tips vid from that so stay tuned. Oh and like and subscribe to my YouTube channel if you haven't yet. Link to my channel is in my signature. Sub to mine and I will sub to yours.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Bushwacker is looking good. I just started reading this thread from the beginning and was hoping by the end id get to see how your flaperons worked out lol. I guess I'll find out on my own. I have them setup on my scout ill maiden this week weather permitting.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have to build a new wing for the Whacker and I have a surprise technique for flaps worked out, might be a game changer. I know it's a bold statement but it is something I have never seen on an FT build.

I think @The Hangar has a cub vid on here that shows how his flaperon's work, it will relate well to the Bushwhacker and could be used on the Scout as well.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Yup. Here it is @Zetoyoc
It would be great if you could subscribe😉
Thanks. I am excited to see how they go on my scout. I think I must have more throw on mine as even with flaps pretty far down I still get both ailerons with motion. Of course that may make it wild uncontrollable acrobatic in the air but then I guess it will be a short exciting flight followed by some adjustment. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks. I am excited to see how they go on my scout. I think I must have more throw on mine as even with flaps pretty far down I still get both ailerons with motion. Of course that may make it wild uncontrollable acrobatic in the air but then I guess it will be a short exciting flight followed by some adjustment. :)
What controller do you use? If you could set your flaperon's up to a 3 position switch you could get a setting for take off at full flaps and a setting for landing which is usually half of full flaps, that way you don't get just all or nothing, you can play with it.
My last 50 case cost me £120 delivered. That probably closer to $150 after exchange rates.
I think the shipping goes by volume over anything bigger then an envelope, depending on weight. I guess whichever one they can make the most money on. I can't imagine the FB weighs that much compared to the size of the case.