FT Bushwacker BUILD

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

Say hello to Peter's 3rd FT design, the FT Bushwacker! This rugged little plane is based off of multiple popular full scale bush planes such as the Highlander!

The laser-cut Speed Build Kit of the FT Bushwacker is available in our Online Store, andas always, the free plans are also available at the links at the bottom of this article.

The Bushwacker was one of those fun designs that emulated a lot of planes in one. Derived from Alaska STOL planes, the primary function of this design was to be able to land and take off from extremely short distances!

ft-bushwacker-4-png_1441222627.jpg

ft-bushwacker-5-png_1441222661.jpg

The FT Bushwacker features a new fold-over technique on the nose of the fuselage.

bushwaker-build-00-58-36-07-still025-png_1441223868.jpg

The FT Bushwacker is an aerobatic super short take off/landing aircraft. For extreme 3D aerobatic performance, use the large control surfaces. For extreme super STOL performance, split each aileron in half to create flaps.

Another bonus of this design is the foam wheels, these wheels are designed to be very light yet tough and robust enough to hold up to the many beatings of short field landings.

The Speed Build Kit comes with large wheels and we also have some 4.3" wheels available in our store!

ft-bushwacker-1-png_1441222485.jpg

This plane is designed for intermediate to advanced pilots and is capable of most aerobatic maneuvers with the Power Pack C. With the Power Pack B, the Bushwacker is capable of basic aerobatics and is a little more docile.

ft-bushwacker-7-png_1441222740.jpg

bushwaker-build-00-59-26-09-still016-png_1441222416.jpg

The Bushwacker isn’t much of a beginner plane, however with just a few hours under your belt on the FT Tiny Trainer or the FT Storch, flying the Bushwacker will come very naturally to you!

ft-bushwacker-3-png_1441222596.jpg

So what are you guys waiting for?! Stop beating around the bush because that’s wack! Grab your foam and let’s start building!

bushwaker-build-00-59-34-19-still017-png_1441222445.jpg

New to the R/C hobby?
Here's some resources to help get you up to speed!
Beginner Series: WATCH HERE!
Electronics Setup: WATCH HERE!
First Flight Quick Tips: WATCH HERE!
Got glue?? Get Some Here!

FT BUSHWACKER PLANS

STORE LINKS

FT BUSHWACKER SPECS.

WEIGHT WITHOUT BATTERY: 1.15 lbs (521 g)
CENTER OF GRAVITY: 1.75” (44 mm) from leading edge of wing
CONTROL SURFACE THROWS: 16˚ deflection - Expo 30%
WINGSPAN: 45 inches (1143 mm)
RECOMMENDED MOTOR: Park 425, 1000 kv minimum
RECOMMENDED PROP: 9 x 6 - 10 x 4.7 prop
RECOMMENDED ESC: 18 - 30 amp
RECOMMENDED BATTERY: 1300 - 2200 mAH 3s
RECOMMENDED SERVOS: (4 - 6) 9 gram servos

Last edited by a moderator:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
"Stop beating around the bush because that’s wack!" I see what you did there Peter. That's punny. :D

I can't wait to build and fly this thing!!

I'm working on re-drawing/tiling the plans and should have them done very, very soon. I will post here and in my Plans Index when they are ready.

Last edited:

joker24458

What is the diameter of the landing gear wire?

I am really excited about this one, will be building one soon.....:D

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Already started cutting it out! Very clean lines and the tires are perfect! Must order a power pack...
It sure reminds me of a maule.

Justin

Topdawg

I am not sure if this will work or not. Let me know if you can get it. I have never used Google Drive
before.

With all that being said I got the prints down to two 20x30 sheets.

Let me also know if I missed anything or need to change anything.
20 x 30 Plans

Edit: I realized I forgot the spar for the wings that is fixed now. Sorry about that.
Edit 2: Added a dashed line for the Flaps servo not being mirrored with note.

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Wow some of you guys are fast. I'm still drawing up decals.

Here's a start on my Super STOL edition:

Think the fuselage could be beefed up enough to remove the doors?

Thinking about doing a simple firewall build rather than a swappable.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I am not sure if this will work or not. Let me know if you can get it. I have never used Google Drive
before.

With all that being said I got the prints down to two 20x30 sheets.

Let me also know if I missed anything or need to change anything.
20 x 30 Plans

Edit: I realized I forgot the spar for the wings that is fixed now. Sorry about that.

Note on your plans if you mirror the wing. The slot for the flap will be in the wrong orientation, as both flap servos need to face the same direction for using a normal y-cable. I made that mistake on a NerdNic design and had to use another open channel on rx and to mix/reverse one flap in the radio (there are reversing cables too).

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Note on your plans if you mirror the wing. The slot for the flap will be in the wrong orientation, as both flap servos need to face the same direction for using a normal y-cable. I made that mistake on a NerdNic design and had to use another open channel on rx and to mix/reverse one flap in the radio (there are reversing cables too).

I almost missed that on mine too. Glad I was watching the build video as I was updating the plans. There are a few small things that I might have missed otherwise.

I also added the hole for the dowel/skewer for the standard FT Power Pod location to the fuselage. Or, you can just go with Peter's option and "just stab it in anywhere in this general area." :p

Topdawg

Very astute. Thank you. I am currently away from the house at the moment but when I get home I will make a note on the pdf not to flip the cut, just the wing detail. Thanks again. This is the first time I have posted any of my reworks, and its mostly thanks to Nerdnic and SP0NZ that I am just trying to help give back to the community and make some things easier for other people. I have reworked plans in the past it just has always been for myself, and those when I cut them out I always make pencil notes on them instead. So information and key notes like this help me in the future to make it better for other people.

WombatControl

Certified DT foam addict
Wow, thanks SP0NZ! That was crazy quick!

This is the first time I've watched a build video from Peter, and I really like his style. I'm totally with him - I hate bending landing gear. Having the dimensions laid out like he did is really smart and will make that part of the process go much quicker.

Looking forward to building a Bushwacker of my own real soon!

SHolman

Separate File for Wheels ?

I almost missed that on mine too. Glad I was watching the build video as I was updating the plans. There are a few small things that I might have missed otherwise.

I also added the hole for the dowel/skewer for the standard FT Power Pod location to the fuselage. Or, you can just go with Peter's option and "just stab it in anywhere in this general area." :p

These are great plans!!

Any chance you could split off the wheels and gear faring, whatever they are called? I would like to use something like this on some other swappables - Old Fogey, Baby Blender, etc.

I guess they are essentially 4" foam wheels, but it helps to cut out a plan, for some reason.

Thanks again for the contribution.

Last edited:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
These are great plans!!

Any chance you could split off the wheels and gear faring, whatever they are called? I would like to use something like this on some other swappables - Old Fogey, Baby Blender, etc.

I guess they are essentially 4" foam wheels, but it helps to cut out a plan, for some reason.

Thanks again for the contribution.

Look at SPONZ's tiled plans and only print the page(s) you need.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Are the wings only taped together, or did the video miss the gluing part?

I will be adding glue when I build mine. I've never seen them join a wing together like that before without adding glue. I think it just got missed in the video. Hopefully someone from FT will chime in and shed some light for us.