FT Bushwacker

I got mine together. Short one servo and the ESC. I thought I had everything I need. Will have to still from another plane.

Jimmy

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
There are a few minor things that I and a few others have found with the plans that I will be addressing with an update this weekend (going to build mine to see if I find anything else). Please, if you see something that does not seem right with these plans, post in the thread, the build thread or shoot me a PM. I'd like to try and get all the changes into this, hopefully, last update the the plans. Thanks to all for the kind words and the positive feedback.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Part 10: Wheel (inner) qty 4 is incorrect, you'll need 8 to match the wheel collar width.

Not sure that is correct. Each wheel only needs two of each wheel piece (larger rim and smaller doubler) and the "tread" that wraps around. Peter didn't have anymore than that in the build video.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

mesolost

to get mine right i had to do 4 of the smaller pieces between the 2 hub pieces then collar around that and I got this. I'll add a little pic showing the layering i have. The red lines are the paper overlap on the very edge. Also a bit of a peek at how far I have mine assembled so far. I havent been to sleep yet. LOL I'm just building till it's complete. Just one more piece. Oh I better glue that before I even think of unplugging that. =p And it just goes on and on and on and on =p

100_0270.JPG

mesolost

wait what?? what build video where??? i've been waiting for one

nm i see it now

Last edited:

Alzey

As I'm sure you figured out by now, Peter's wheels are hollow. However, your idea of a solid wheel is a great idea if you aircraft too tail heavy. This puts a little more weight forward and below the CG. On one of the Test Flite episodes they were at one of the fly ins where the organizers had been building a plane for 8 years. To correct their CG they made the wheels out of solid metal (6+lbs i believe) to balance out the plane.

Winglet

Sponz,

Just wanted to thank you for your work on the plans. You are awesome to do that and share with the community. I was just getting ready to print the FT plans to start my second Bushwacker and I saw what you had done. Perfect timing for me.

Built my first one from a FT Fast Build kit. Would do that again in a heartbeat except I really love the new Ross foam and just have to have one made from that.

Thanks again Dan!:):):)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz,

Just wanted to thank you for your work on the plans. You are awesome to do that and share with the community. I was just getting ready to print the FT plans to start my second Bushwacker and I saw what you had done. Perfect timing for me.

Built my first one from a FT Fast Build kit. Would do that again in a heartbeat except I really love the new Ross foam and just have to have one made from that.

Thanks again Dan!:):):)

Thanks for the kudos, I really appreciate that. All the support from the community has been great. I still can't believe that I get to make the official FT plans now. I guess that might sink in more next week when the Explorer comes out. :) I've been blessed, and I'm happy to be able to give back to this great community.

On another note, I finally got out to do some more flying last night. First time in a couple weeks. I had every intention of flying my Bushwacker, but I let Keegan fly a couple of batteries through it instead. He's a much better pilot than I am. I loved the Bushwacker from the very first flight. After watching Keegan 3D it, I was totally amazed. It truly is a remarkable plane. I think it will help me learn some basic 3D skills and I plan to have at least one in my hangar for a very long time.

flyhighhobbies

I maidened the FT Bushwacker today.
This was also the first time for me to take off and land on asphalt.
Turned the throws down and did not have flaperons activated but it still took off great and putted around like any bush plane would.
I will increase the throws and add a bigger prop to try a little 3d with it.

Overall a fun plane and a good build. It seems the builds are getting better over time.

ft-bushwacker.jpg

ft-bushwacker-belly.jpg

captron360

One of the best

Love this one!! Great job guys.
Because of the big wheels, the guys at the field call this the Fred Flintstone plane. Therefore I had to paint it orange with black markings. It's a blast to fly and a great way to learn some 3D.
I know I'll destroy it eventually so I got 2 more.
I can't thank FliteTest enough for all you have done for the hobby.

captron360

Fred has been crashed more times than you could imagine. Has been stuck into trees, impaled by branches and had some very bad landings in the wind. But still handles great. The only thing that has been replaced (about 20 times) is the prop.

mesolost

LOL I had that issue too when i first started. Breaking props almost 1 per flight. I've stockpiled so many props now I wont have to buy anymore for this entire year now that I've gotten to the point I only break a prop about once a month. You'll get the hang of it and pretty soon you'll be havin to replace somethin else. ^_^ I can't wait for it to dry out here. -.- I havent flown in like 4 months. If my planes had faces I bet they'd be frowning.

abarton

Just finished up my Bushwacker scratch build over the weekend. This thing flies very well, another winner from FT, thanks Peter.

Only issuer I had was getting correct CG. I built the tail as light as I could, even removed paper from inside rear section of the fuselage, still had to add a dollar worth of quarters to the nose, just couldn't push the battery far enough forward. I know I could have removed the additional vertical fins, but like the looks of them:).

Emax 2215/09
25A ESC, I know it's a little small, but seemed to work fine, should be at least a 30A.
2200 3S bat.
10X5 APC style prop
Turnigy 9g digital servos

FTBW2.png

dangermouse650

I was going to build a storch but decide to go with the bushwacker unfortunately it did not get a great deal of flying done.

On its maiden flight it tried to be a navy plane and folded its wings

I patched it all together again into a slightly slimmer version, only to have a brown out on its second flight and watch it dive into the ground. When i picked it up everything was working again.... Patched together yet again, got a few more flights out of it before it met its demise.