FT Bushwacker

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

bushwacker-5-png_1440789878.jpg

FT BUSHWACKER

• Weight (w/o battery) - 1.15 lbs (521 g)
  • CG - 1.75" (44mm) from leading edge
  • Throws - 16° deflection, 30% expo
  • Wingspan - 45 in (1143 mm)
  • Motor* - Park 425, 1000 kv minimum
  • Prop* - 9 x 6 - 10 x 4.7
  • ESC* - 18 - 30 amp
  • Battery* - 1300 - 2200 mAH 3s
  • Servos* - (4-6) 9 gram

* = recommended

bushwacker-2-png_1440789846.jpg

The recommended throws place the flight characteristics somewhere between a 3D plane and a sport flyer.

bushwacker-3-png_1440789857.jpg

The wheels are made from the same foam as the plane. Peter wanted them to be big but not too heavy. The robust size can hold up to tons of abuse, like the kind from short field landings.

bushwacker-4-png_1440789866.jpg

Out of the kit the ailerons and flaps are connected to create 'flaperons'. For extreme super STOL performance, you can split each aileron in half to create flaps. You'll need two extra servos to control the flaps.

bushwacker-6-png_1440789891.jpg

If you are looking for a more docile park flyer, we recommend using Power Pack B. You'll be able to pull off basic aerobatics with this setup; perfect if this is a 2nd or 3rd plane.

bushwacker-9-png_1440789918.jpg

With Power Pack C, this will lean more towards 3D characteristics. Hovers, flat-spins, and those insanely short take offs and landings are all possible with this setup. If you are experienced or looking to expand your piloting skills, Power Pack C is for you.

bushwacker-14-png_1440789982.jpg

Like all our designs, we will have FREE plans and a build video released on Wednesday!

bushwacker-16-png_1440790010.jpg

The FT Bushwacker is Peter's 3rd design and we couldn't be more proud. There is nothing like dodging trees at your local park with this.
You can pick up the Speed Build Kit here!

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Awesome. I've always wanted something like a highlander to fly to work in. I suppose an RC version will have to do. :cool:

Eagerly awaiting the build plans. SPONZ and I talked about building a full set of decal plans for this plane once the plans are up. I already have several designs planned out and almost ready to go.

Alzey

I know what I am doing this weekend :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I will be doing my best to redraw and post the updated tiled plans before the weekend. I would love to have on flying by Saturday morning.

mesolost

I'm looking for a replacement for my Storch and the Bushwacker looks to be what I'm after. ^_^ I'm clawing at the net awaiting plans.

While I eagerly await the plans for the Bushwacker I think I'll make a Franken-Storch. New wings on the old body, see if that works.

mesolost

Alzey, that is the exact motor I use on my storch with a 10x4.7SF prop which happens to be on my FT Flyer at the moment. Pair that motor with that prop and a 25amp ESC and a 2200 3S pack and you'll easily have 11+ minutes of moderate flight.

WombatControl

Certified DT foam addict
I am hooorable at figuring out motors. Compared to the FT Power Pack B or C motors, where does this one fall in?

It's going to be a very beefy motor - comparable to the Power Pack B motor. I've used that motor on a couple of FT builds, and it works very well. You can run a 9x6 or 10x4.7 prop on it without any worries.

uija

As we in Europe have a little problem getting the foam, I am thinking if I would be able to build that plane out of balsa and covering film. Sure, it won't be that durable, but I love how the plane is flying in the video, and I would like to build one, maybe with 50-55 wingspan, so scale it up by 20%.

Last edited:

WombatControl

Certified DT foam addict
I will be doing my best to redraw and post the updated tiled plans before the weekend. I would love to have on flying by Saturday morning.

I speaking of redrawing plans, what tools do you use to do your tiled plans? They work so much better than the standard FT ones - for instance, the tiled Storch plans don't even seem to line up correctly on the fuse. I'd like to go back and retile some of those plans using your techniques (labelled parts and easy-to-use cut marks) - that would save a lot of time and frustration on some of the larger FT builds like the Storch and the Bushwacker.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I speaking of redrawing plans, what tools do you use to do your tiled plans?

AutoCAD

They work so much better than the standard FT ones - for instance, the tiled Storch plans don't even seem to line up correctly on the fuse.

Thanks, I'm really glad that you like them. I greatly appreciate that Flite Test has continued to provide plans for their designs free of charge. The FT plans are obviously optimized for their preferred method of manufacturing, cutting on a CNC laser. The free plans that they make available are created after the laser program is created. They spend a minimal amount of time laying out the plans and creating tiled and full-size versions for us to use. They work, but there is room for improvement. That's one area where I really felt I could help the Flite Test community, especially us scratch builders.

I'd like to go back and retile some of those plans using your techniques (labelled parts and easy-to-use cut marks) - that would save a lot of time and frustration on some of the larger FT builds like the Storch and the Bushwacker.

The FT Simple Storch has already been redrawn and tiled by me on 4/23/2015.

Please use the link below to find the latest versions of my plans (including my own designs, redrawn Flite Test designs, as well as redrawn designs from other community members,with permission from the original designers).

SP0NZ - Plans Index

I've spent a considerable amount of time designing the template I use to create my plans. It also takes many hours of work to redraw, add additional details, labels, specifications, and graphics for the Flite Test (and other) plans that I redraw. My goal is to redraw them all. The Ft Cruiser is 98% complete and should be done NLT 9/2/15. As soon as the FT Bushwacker plans become available, I will be working on redrawing those. My goal for the FT Bushwacker plans is to have them done this week.

Last edited:

llsouder

I am very interested in that landing gear and the wheels. I stuck something very similar to it in my old fogey, but I haven't got to work yet!

Thank you so much, I want to start on one as soon as I can. May have one ready this weekend also.

Wow I just went to your plans page to look at your plans. You do great work. With your tiled plans this is going to be a lot easyer.

Jimmy

Last edited:

Torf

Agreed

Any chance you could post .dwg or .dxf files along with the pdf's?

Yeah, it might be a lot to ask Sponz, since he poured so much time into these, but I would love the .dwg files!

My 5+ channel soaring wing for the Tiny Trainer turned out great, but I would like to create a clean design in AutoCAD so I can share it with the community. Right now it is simply a pencil marked piece of posterboard, with a few minor corrections needed.