Ft commuter maiden and semi-removeable wing mod for top loading battery

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just finished my commuter and maidened it today! I rigged up a hat cam so if the video turns out, I’ll be posting it. I was worried about not having enough power on 2s since I was flying pretty heavy with 9 grams servos and a 1500 mah 2s BUT I ended up cruising at only 1/3 throttle! It was great. I am using an 1808 v-spec motor (hobbyking) and a 9/5 prop I trimmed to like 5-6 inches. It’s a fun plane! To the removable wing part now... I made a tape hinge in the back with the back windshield, and then added bbq skewers for the rubber bands. This allows easier access to electronics and a top-mounting battery so I can fit my oversized 1500 mah 2s batteries😂. I also added two guides to my wing so I got the same line up every time. What a fun plane!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I just finished my commuter and maidened it today! I rigged up a hat cam so if the video turns out, I’ll be posting it. I was worried about not having enough power on 2s since I was flying pretty heavy with 9 grams servos and a 1500 mah 2s BUT I ended up cruising at only 1/3 throttle! It was great. I am using an 1808 v-spec motor (hobbyking) and a 9/5 prop I trimmed to like 5-6 inches. It’s a fun plane! To the removable wing part now... I made a tape hinge in the back with the back windshield, and then added bbq skewers for the rubber bands. This allows easier access to electronics and a top-mounting battery so I can fit my oversized 1500 mah 2s batteries😂. I also added two guides to my wing so I got the same line up every time. What a fun plane!
Is the wing glued down in the original plans I can't remember? I like the alternate battery location though on the high wing planes. The Shrubsmacker is the same where the battery fits into the fuse not under the motor. Man i miss my Shrubby

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Is the wing glued down in the original plans I can't remember? I like the alternate battery location though on the high wing planes. The Shrubsmacker is the same where the battery fits into the fuse not under the motor. Man i miss my Shrubby
Yeah, the wing is supposed to be glued. One downside to the way I did it was that it is more difficult to add struts. I’ll see if I can add them somehow with removable ends. If it’s too hard, it’s fine since they’re there really only for looks. It is a nice battery location.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Cool, I’ve been waiting to try one of these. I built Ben’s viper (F-16) and it flew great!
I think I’ll have to scale it up a bit though.

You could try skewers for the struts.
Have them a bit longer than the distance needed, then punch a hole, put some hot glue in the hole and immediately use a spare skewer pushed in swirled around and removed. That “should “ make a nice socket for the struts. Might want to try it out first. The wing clamping down should hold it just fine. Straws might be another option.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Cool, I’ve been waiting to try one of these. I built Ben’s viper (F-16) and it flew great!
I think I’ll have to scale it up a bit though.

You could try skewers for the struts.
Have them a bit longer than the distance needed, then punch a hole, put some hot glue in the hole and immediately use a spare skewer pushed in swirled around and removed. That “should “ make a nice socket for the struts. Might want to try it out first. The wing clamping down should hold it just fine. Straws might be another option.
I’ll give that a shot!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A 1500 2s! What kind of flight times do you get?
Haven’t gotten a whole pack through her yet! But I’m guessing the speed I was going, I’ll probably be getting 30 min. off of it! I have three of those batteries... twice when I landed, I my motor mount came unglued since my trimmed prop it pretty much indestructible and has no give in it. One of those times my firewall actually broke so @BATTLEAXE I'll definitely be adding the landing gear to keep the prop from hitting the ground upon landing.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Look up Flite test tech on YouTube. That’s the channel they post all their new build videos on...
I found it, thought it would have stuff I haven't seen yet, not the case. I did watch Ben's 240% Commuter flight again though. Get's me thinking of a standard size Commuter :unsure:

Bigeard

Hello Hangar ,
Quite interested in this mod for the FT Commuter and indeed any other mods you may have done . Is it possible to do a complete removable wing on the Commuter (taking into account of the struts ) ? Also a question regarding the landing gear wheels which seem quite small for grass landings , do you think bush wheels would work ?
thanks