FT Corsair picture (finally)

Geronimo

I've been asked for a picture and a video by a few people. I finally finished this kit this morning (I really didn't expect this one to survive my rusty hands on the first couple flights). I learned a LOT from my first foam board construction kit. HUGE kudos to FliteTest and John Overstreet for making these kits available. I have less than 15 hours into this. The Spitifre kit that I've got 80% constructed is turning out much better in terms of krinkles and such.

Hopefully I'll get a video of it in flight soon. I'm still trying to get the hang of hand launching without the associated lawn-dart-dive and subsequent heart palpitations.

20200404_094939[1].jpg

Geronimo

to launch this one hold onto the top just over the canopy, then underhand toss it into the air with your throttle hand (left). It is a lot easier and much more successful than an overhand launch.

nice looking plane.

me :cool:
Thanks for the tip about the underhand launch, I'll try it next!

Geronimo

great job on the paint!
Wow, thanks! Actually it's a "ten footer", it looks better from ten feet away. I had no idea what I was doing on this foam board construction, and being a bit heavy handed left me with quite a few wrinkles and krinkles. The oversized US markings look good in the air at least :)

TwocanPS

Wow, thanks! Actually it's a "ten footer", it looks better from ten feet away. I had no idea what I was doing on this foam board construction, and being a bit heavy handed left me with quite a few wrinkles and krinkles. The oversized US markings look good in the air at least :)
The wrinkles are hardly noticeable. The impressive part is how evenly distributed the paint is. I wouldn't be able to do it. And as Im sure you know, just using lighter coats will keep it from wrinkling.

One more tip, if you have the channels, time, and money, that air frame really likes flaps. The key is to use the flaps in tandem with a high voltage battery(make sure you upgrade your esc too, to handle the extra voltage), which will give you a really powerful and FAST aircraft, but the dihedral and new flaps allow for extremely docile low speed characteristics.

Geronimo

One more tip, if you have the channels, time, and money, that air frame really likes flaps. The key is to use the flaps in tandem with a high voltage battery(make sure you upgrade your esc too, to handle the extra voltage), which will give you a really powerful and FAST aircraft, but the dihedral and new flaps allow for extremely docile low speed characteristics.

I was thinking of that for a new build of the same model. I still don't expect this one to last. I'm building the FT Spitfire now and the foam board isn't wrinkling on me like it did with the Corsair. A little experience goes a long ways! Also, if you do get a krinkle, I've found that a tiny bit of hot glue and a quick scrape with some scrap foam followed by steel wool fills in the krinkle well. I'm pretty sure the paint will cover it decently.