flitetest submitted a new resource:

FT Corsair - FT Corsair Free Plans

FT Corsair

Designed By: John Overstreet
in collaboration with Flite Test
Plans By: Dan Sponholz
View attachment 124840

Description:
The FT Corsair represents a new chapter of Flite Test scratch built aircraft! Using techniques developed by John Overstreet which he has also used in his metalworking, this plane uses "mold together" techniques instead of the traditional "fold together" techniques that Flite Test planes...

Read more about this resource...

Mr. Gandalf

Elite member
Whoop Whoop !! I love the corsair and this is a fantastic model, but seeing as my hobby budget is limited to birthday money, I have to build from plans. As soon as I get a power pack c equivalent motor ( two actually) I am going to build this and maybe even the A-10!

Gladiator

I think I'm going to make this one. Can someone tell me some alternate parts for this build as I don't think I can get the same parts here in India. Also, I was wondering what is the recommended thickness of the Foamcore used in this build. Assuming the foamcore used in the FT Corsair video to be same as this, I'm not able to identify the thickness. Any help with be appreciated! Thanks. 😃

Tench745

Master member
I think I'm going to make this one. Can someone tell me some alternate parts for this build as I don't think I can get the same parts here in India. Also, I was wondering what is the recommended thickness of the Foamcore used in this build. Assuming the foamcore used in the FT Corsair video to be same as this, I'm not able to identify the thickness. Any help with be appreciated! Thanks. 😃
I can tell you that the FT and Dollar-tree foam board is about 3/16" thick, probably closer to 4.5mm.

wov

Hello, I replicated the spars in Fusion 360, because I needed the DXF for milling the parts on my router. In case you want to do the same, here are the files.

Wolfgang

Attachments

• corsair_spars.zip
    127.2 KB · Views: 0

wov

What a great plan. The parts go together really good. Building the Corsair already is great fun. This is my result after the first few hours. Thanks Flite Test for this plane!

Attachments

• 20190312_200131.jpg
    20190312_200131.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190312_224330.jpg
    20190312_224330.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190312_225827.jpg
    20190312_225827.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190312_225915.jpg
    20190312_225915.jpg
    346.6 KB · Views: 0

evranch

Didn't have anything on my build list... now I do. Love the smooth look and the appeal of trying some new foam techniques. From the flight video it looks like a great scale flyer, too.

wov

spar skeleton is done. I followed the video when John applied the hotglue to the wooden spar and then pressed the foam parts on top but quickly realised that, as Josh Bixler pointed out in the FT Spear build video, the hotglue cools down very quickly when applied to wood. It is therefore highly recommended to apply hotglue to parts made of foam and then press them firmly on the wooden spars.

Attachments

• 20190314_200509.jpg
    20190314_200509.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190314_203217.jpg
    20190314_203217.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190314_203231.jpg
    20190314_203231.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190314_203453.jpg
    20190314_203453.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0

wov

it should be 2.4 mm, which is impossible to find in Europe. I used 2.5 mm which shouldn't make a difference.

Tench745

Master member
spar skeleton is done. I followed the video when John applied the hotglue to the wooden spar and then pressed the foam parts on top but quickly realised that, as Josh Bixler pointed out in the FT Spear build video, the hotglue cools down very quickly when applied to wood. It is therefore highly recommended to apply hotglue to parts made of foam and then press them firmly on the wooden spars.
It's been suggested on other forums to pre-heat wood or metal before you apply hot-glue as it gives you more working time. Less than a minute in an oven or toaster-oven will warm the wood enough to let the glue work in and lay flatter.
Often times glue is applied to the non-foam material first to get it to adhere there first when it is the hottest and then apply the foam, because even a cooled glue will stick OK to foam board.

If you want a great bond between wood and foam, use Gorilla Glue.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I did my spars yesterday from the speed build kit. I use a hot glue setting (not a low setting) and put on a good amount. It didnt have any issues, but i was also pretty quick. I have had this cooling down happen though on coroplast and EPP. I have found that when having problems that i apply hot glue to both surfaces and than its becomes one when stuck together.

Really enjoying the "curvy" airfoil of the wings.
IMG_20190314_063221.jpg

PaulK

Really wish the Individual download files were more specific because I wanted to make the full size model and not the smaller one

Jerry_C

Funny, I was sitting here putting the finishing touches on my modified Guillows F4U-4 Corsair when I decided to check out FT and see what they had new. Yeaaaaaa, I'm gonna have to build this. Down loaded the plans but will probably buy the kit. I really hope they do a large mustang.

sundown57

Legendary member
finished the FT Corsair scratch build yesterday, What a fun build this one was. Challenging yes but very doable. They say someday it might stop raining so if it ever does ill let you'all know how it flies

Attachments

• IMG_3527.JPG
    IMG_3527.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3523.JPG
    IMG_3523.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
finished the FT Corsair scratch build yesterday, What a fun build this one was. Challenging yes but very doable. They say someday it might stop raining so if it ever does ill let you'all know how it flies

That looks really good, nice build.