FT Corsair

FT Corsair 1.0

Papo_60

I have several 4S batteries, the 2 smallest are a 2200mah and then a 3300mah. The 2200 fits OK but a bit tight. The 3300mah battery has no chance of fitting without carving out some of the power pod. I need to widen by about 3/16 ths. Has anyone modified the power pod in the Corsair to accept the slightly bigger 4S batteries?? Thanks, Ron

Ive looked around and can't figure something out...how much is the corsair supposed to weigh using the c pack motor. Just curious because I like speed, and will add a larger motor setup and want to know what the baseline weight is, and if I have room to add some reinforcement weight on certain areas.

wov

I will check the weight of my Corsair, but for the size it as a very light plane. It also isn't very fast. Actually the Corsair is more a floater than a speeder, if you know what I mean. It makes it a very relaxing flying experience, and I am sure this was the main intention when the designers increased the wingspan by 25% compared to the real F-4U. I like mine as it is and I wouldn't add any weight.

The only part I need to reinforce is the rudder. At the moment it is really wobbly, because I managed to cut the barbecue stick too short. It's only stuck in the top outer layer of the fuselage, where it should be stuck into something at the bottom (or a former) as well. Not sure how to solve this one now without ripping it off and building a new vertical stabilizer with a longer barbecue stick.

Wolfgang

After reading your post, and watching Ben Harbers video and watching Josh and Alex fly it I am definitely not going to try and make this a fast plane. It is gorgeous, and don't want to chance crashing it haha. I had to do the same with my rudder also, I used a heat gun just enough to loosen the rudder and bbq skewer and used a bbq skewer long enough to poke through the bottom, it helped immensely

Ok so I am having a MAJOR issue with the corsair kit...I HAVE NO IDEA HOW I WANT TO PAINT IT! I've put a light coat of primer, and am now at a loss. Anybody have suggestions, based on the limited spray paint I have.

Attachments

• 0421191057.jpg
    0421191057.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 0421191056.jpg
    0421191056.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 0421191056a.jpg
    0421191056a.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Well...this happened. A little red on the wings somehow, and instead of a blue spinner, a red one. Then I think it will look ok. The whole wing is black underneath for orientation, along with the bottom of the tail. Maybe some numbers, and sponser stickers she could look like A Reno race plane.

Attachments

• 0421192252a.jpg
    0421192252a.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 0421192252.jpg
    0421192252.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Is this thrust angle ok? Might pull right. I fly in a grassy field, about knee high soft grass, and when I landed, I found the only boulder in Florida. This thing flies like a beauty! I am warming up the hot glue now, and will fly it again tomorrow. Its going to be a quick repair, and it'll have a nice battle scar lol

Attachments

• 0424191833.jpg
    0424191833.jpg
    602 KB · Views: 0

Papo_60

Can anyone help me on if you have modified the size of the power pod??? Thanks

“I have several 4S batteries, the 2 smallest are a 2200mah and then a 3300mah. The 2200 fits OK but a bit tight. The 3300mah battery has no chance of fitting without carving out some of the power pod. I need to widen by about 3/16 ths. Has anyone modified the power pod in the Corsair to accept the slightly bigger 4S batteries?? Thanks, Ron”

Wildthing

Legendary member

“I have several 4S batteries, the 2 smallest are a 2200mah and then a 3300mah. The 2200 fits OK but a bit tight. The 3300mah battery has no chance of fitting without carving out some of the power pod. I need to widen by about 3/16 ths. Has anyone modified the power pod in the Corsair to accept the slightly bigger 4S batteries?? Thanks, Ron”

My first thought would be to eliminate the power pod and mount the motor mount solid doing away with the rest of the pod so you would gain over 3/16 of width area right there. . Then build in a battery tray plus cut in a hatch.

That's a good idea, I'm ordering a second kit and making mods to it. Strengthening the fuselage area above where the wings mount is definitely one I want to do. Round and sharpen the leading edges, use a nerdnic style airfoil tail, strengthen the rudder and give the wings a little something extra to mount to. I have a 3542 1200kv and want to get it to 60mph.

shadeyB

Legendary member
I have a 3542 1200kv and want to get it to 60mph.

Its a Scale wardird representation Kyle :) the calmer the flight on the Corsair the more beautiful the plane is. i would recommend building the FT racer if its speed you want and that build ZIP's through the air and trust me you will get more than 60MPH out it and will tear up some pole racers :) lol all from foamboard . massive respect FT for the build, family and forum

Its a Scale wardird representation Kyle :) the calmer the flight on the Corsair the more beautiful the plane is. i would recommend building the FT racer if its speed you want and that build ZIP's through the air and trust me you will get more than 60MPH out it and will tear up some pole racers :) lol all from foamboard . massive respect FT for the build, family and forum
Oh it definitely is a beautiful plane, and is very beautiful going slower with some spirited flying thrown in. I just have a fascination of making slow things go fast. My Isuzu pickup that I turned into a drift truck is just one of many examples lol. But you are right, I will look at other models to go fast. The wing size on the ft corsair doesn't seem like it wants the plane to go much faster than 30-40, maybe 50. I have a blast with it either way. Per your recommendation I am heading to staples to print out some FT Racer plans. Along with Projest Airs dehavilland vampire.

chrisvdv

Have a look at this video. I think half way through you will see his mod on the power pod to take different size batteries

FoxMcCloud R/C

Funny, I was sitting here putting the finishing touches on my modified Guillows F4U-4 Corsair when I decided to check out FT and see what they had new. Yeaaaaaa, I'm gonna have to build this. Down loaded the plans but will probably buy the kit. I really hope they do a large mustang.
I would definitely purchase the speed build kit as this build requires your pieces to be cut perfectly to fit together nicely.

FoxMcCloud R/C

Welp, bought the speed build kit to support my boys/girls and it turned out awesome. Just some finishing decals and it’ll be ready for the maiden!!!

Attachments

• 2277137F-8CB6-42D9-9FCA-1FA0D5A56D9B.jpeg
    2277137F-8CB6-42D9-9FCA-1FA0D5A56D9B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 85C7F556-6C40-47AE-B511-831754640577.jpeg
    85C7F556-6C40-47AE-B511-831754640577.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • C504D8EB-478D-4D43-8C94-F09F1631811B.jpeg
    C504D8EB-478D-4D43-8C94-F09F1631811B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0