FT Cub Owners/builders thread- off topic allowed!

Marty72

Elite member
Here it is more for posterity then anything, This may be as pretty as she gets. If it survives the maiden I may paint it but I do like the way it looks. It does kind of have a goofy vibe to it so this might be the first plane I put googley eyes on. It kinda looks like my dog when she wants to play lol...
View attachment 152238
View attachment 152237
That is an 11" prop and I am thinking that would be the smallest I would go on here. That's kinda what I was hoping for really, I imagine this 11x7x3 will haul this plane around pretty decently. But if it proves to be to fast for this airframe I would like to try a 12x5 two blade...
View attachment 152236
The stance is nice, big wheels and tail high. The aileron servos are on the last hole of the standard arm for throw and the control horn uses the hole closest to the hinge, you can see how far away the control horn is from the pivot point so I had some adjustment to dial it back if need be. For now that's what DR's are for... View attachment 152235
Gotta love the skewer pushrods, recycled this from first the Baby Blender to the Bushwhacker, now on this... they work. I got suspension on all three points. Main gear has the rubber band/triangle framed struts you would find on the FT-3D, had to do some tuning to get the gear to work right... not to soft or tippy, not to stiff, by swapping or adding rubber bands. The tail wheel is a fixed non-steerable assembly with a couple coils of wire for the spring...
View attachment 152234 Here is where it looks like a bird that wants to fly. Those wing tips should help with spillage and pressure transfer around the wings hopefully the root stalls first. I do have the original FB box spar reinforced with a 24x3/16" CF tubing. If anything the 4 rubber bands holding the wing on will break before the wing does. Thanks for following along and anticipate some entertaining maiden vid :D

Cool plane! Looking forward to the maiden. Did you lose a plane or is this an addition? The Bush Wacker is still viable, right? It's tough to keep up with you, you move pretty fast.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just watched it, looks like it performs really nice. tried it on a windy day yet?
It was breezy today, coming from the west, 10 gusting to 15kph. I stayed petty much half throttle most of the time, edited a lot of the boring stuff out, but it took it like a champ. I'll be going up again tomorrow on a 1045, see how that does for a slower STOL plane

Wildthing

Legendary member
It was breezy today, coming from the west, 10 gusting to 15kph. I stayed petty much half throttle most of the time, edited a lot of the boring stuff out, but it took it like a champ. I'll be going up again tomorrow on a 1045, see how that does for a slower STOL plane
Looks like it was pretty slow already, do you have flaps or flaperons programed into also?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looks like it was pretty slow already, do you have flaps or flaperons programed into also?
No flaperrons yet. Still need to look into it. I was thinking the 11x7x3 prop is twice the amount of prop that plane can handle. It can take the 3 blade prop in the low speeds but has trouble staying in control in the top speeds, just way to fast for the airframe. 1045 should tame it down some