FT "Deathmatch Fighter", and multicopter configuration guide

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
Hey all, new FT forums member here. No RC plane experience, but I have a toy-grade heli and a pair of Nano QX Multicopters I'm learning to fly, and I have loved RC cars and other surface transit stuff all my life. I'm probably going to get a plane when the weather gets a little nicer, and I'm currently trying to unload a pair of nitro monster trucks that I know were not a good decision for me.

I have been watching a lot of the Flite Test episodes and enjoying immensely, and there's a couple things I would really like to see:

First, the fun stuff: I know the FT guys like to occasionally just knock each other out of the sky in deathmatch-style dogfights, rather than streamer dogfights. I'd like to see a plane designed for this: Pusher, easy to build, half-sheet or full sheet of foam, electronics and motor protected so they don't get hurt in a mid-air or a crash to the ground.

Also, there's a bunch of ways to build a Multicopter: Tri-copter, Quad, Hex, Octo, and variants like the Y6 and X8. I'm intrigued by the Y6 specifically, but I'd like to see a video explaining the different configurations and the particular advantages of each.

Thanks in advance, and keep doing the awesome work you do!

Last edited:

crash bandicoot

Welcome to the forum! They use the FT Bloody Wonder for full contact combat, as well as streamers. Another plane that would be good for combat is the Versa wing. Many of the flying wings are actually called "combat wings" but the Versa is a good flyer as well as an easy build. The rear mounted version also makes it good for combat. To be honest, I'm not sure if you have tried it yet, but the best combat I ever had was between my FT Flyer and my friend with a Nutball. We never hit each other, but we got close.

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
Welcome to the forum! They use the FT Bloody Wonder for full contact combat, as well as streamers. Another plane that would be good for combat is the Versa wing. Many of the flying wings are actually called "combat wings" but the Versa is a good flyer as well as an easy build. The rear mounted version also makes it good for combat. To be honest, I'm not sure if you have tried it yet, but the best combat I ever had was between my FT Flyer and my friend with a Nutball. We never hit each other, but we got close.

I am an RC Plane N00b, and even with Multirotors I'm pretty green, but I was just throwing around the idea of the combat-swappable in my head and decided to suggest it.

AeroMaestro

Well, honestly, combat with indestructible planes isn't very interesting to watch. They just bump each other and fall down. It's the planes that weren't designed for combat that are fun to watch, since they explode in showers of foam and you get great footage of the aftermath.

But if you're thinking you'd like to build or at least see some plans and a build video for an indestructible combat wing, the Crash Test Hobby Assassin is pretty much exactly what you're talking about. They've got build videos and a few fun videos of them crashing it into brick walls and such.

Product page: http://www.crashtesthobby.com/assassin-37.html
Videos page: http://www.crashtesthobby.com/assassin-37-videos.html

I'm planning on building their 43 inch assassin when my current blunt-nose versa eventually wears out. It's just about the same size, but much much tougher.

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
Well, honestly, combat with indestructible planes isn't very interesting to watch. They just bump each other and fall down. It's the planes that weren't designed for combat that are fun to watch, since they explode in showers of foam and you get great footage of the aftermath.

But if you're thinking you'd like to build or at least see some plans and a build video for an indestructible combat wing, the Crash Test Hobby Assassin is pretty much exactly what you're talking about. They've got build videos and a few fun videos of them crashing it into brick walls and such.

Product page: http://www.crashtesthobby.com/assassin-37.html
Videos page: http://www.crashtesthobby.com/assassin-37-videos.html

I'm planning on building their 43 inch assassin when my current blunt-nose versa eventually wears out. It's just about the same size, but much much tougher.

I wasn't thinking so much "Indestructible" planes, as it's not a deathmatch without a little death...but more along the lines of being very easy to construct, quick to repair, and with the electronics well protected. The airframes, I would consider to be quite literally disposable.

I will take a look at the Crash Test Hobby Assassin and see what that's all about :)

Also, I don't want my other show suggestion to get buried in the noise over the deathmatch planes: I, and I"m sure many others who are just getting into multirotors, would love to see a comparison of all the multicopter layouts, with pros, cons, and what each one is best at. I'm personally leaning towards a Y-6 copter when I get something more serious than the Nano QX I got as a multirotor training craft.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you're afraid you've burried the lead story, start a new story ;)

Really easy to start a new thread . . .

unixrevolution

Multicopter Crash Expert
If you're afraid you've burried the lead story, start a new story ;)

Really easy to start a new thread . . .

That it is, but on some boards creating a new thread for a topic in progress might be considered spamming the forum, and I didn't want to be accused of such. Seeing as you're a moderator telling me to start a new thread, I'll take it as read that I'm allowed and go do that right now.

Thank you everybody for your replies and for the warm welcome! I feel very happy to be here :)