FT Delta - winter blast!

Bedrock

Hi,
I have just returned from the local field having maidened the Delta with the 2826/10 1400kv motor from Hobby King. 850mah battery. It really flies great, especially in wind. I also flew the Bixler 2 which was bouncing all over the place. The Delta was much better. Luckily it didn't need any real trimming and was a joy to fly. Until I got too cocky and crashed it - 3 corner style - into the very soggy ground we have here in the UK right now. Prop totally broken off right down the adapter on both sides. However no other damage - the ground is really like a sponge so I think that helped!

So noobs (like me) get building a Delta for when your FT Flyer is getting pushed around! Remember to really dial down the rates & throws after building as I think it would have been crazy difficult to fly without doing this.

Flying the Delta today has really given me new burst of excitement at the idea of building the other swappables, so watch this space.

Finally a question - how do you guys get rid of mud in the motor.? I've been holding the model upside down spraying the motor with water until it runs clear, blowing out the water ,then spraying with silicone lube spray (or WD40) and drying. It seems to have worked ok on the FT flyer motor as it had a muddy landing, but any tips are welcome.

Bedrock

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Bedrock, That's awesome! Sounds like a great day at the field, even with the lawn darting.

I hate it when dirt gets into the motors . . . and mud is worse :p

WD-40 is actually what you want to use . . . first. The WD stands for Water Displacement. That's what it was intended for, but the military mechanics using it found it made a convenient *poor* lubricant as well. A good spray of that with a little runoff (gotta push the water out) should clean out the water from the wash. All of this can be done in the field, assuming it's got running water, but you'll probably want to re-apply a thin lubricant to the bearings to replace the WD40 when you get back to the shop.

Now go get that Delta back in the air!!

Bedrock

Thanks Dan, flew again this afternoon and motor was fine. I would have used a big can of WD40 to get all the mud out so water it will be for now. Any tips on the lube to use, I've only got bike grease around the garage, and where to squirt it? back of the shaft?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Need to use a thin oil like 3-in-1 or Marvel Mystery oil if you don't have or can't find any dedicated bearing lube. You'll want to apply the oil to the bearings on both ends of the stator. One should be near the front of the motor where the motor can or bell meets the shaft and one at the rear, usually where a C-clip retains the shaft. If you can disassemble the motor, that might be the best idea to make sure you get everything out of it, and taking it apart will also give you better access to the bearings. If you can remove the bearings safetly, soak them in a small plastic bag partially filled with whatever thin oil you can find.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm not sure they still make it...I haven't seen it for a few years (granted, I haven't been looking!).

on edit: I just realized I never specified the air tool oil. A quick search to see if they still make it reminded me that Marvel makes a number of products and the air tool oil is what I've used. The mystery oil is primarily used as a fuel additive for cleaning the fuel system, much like Seafoam.

If you can get the 3-in-1 easily, I would stick with that.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sorry Bedrock, wasn't suggesting you wash out the motor with WD-40. I was suggesting you wash out with water then spray out the water with the WD40 -- a quick shot will drive it out of the crevices, and a longer shot to rinse the displaced water out.

That's enough to get back into the air, but that evening you need to re-oil the bearings -- WD-40 is great in a pinch, but terrible in the long run.

lonewolf7717

With that 3 in 1.....a dab really will do ya. Great for bearings but guys tend to get a bit excessive (me included). I have used Corrosion X on all my brushless motors since polaris build couple years ago with no ill effects. One tiny squirt at bearing and i'm done. Of course I squirt all lipo leads and depending on application may give esc soak.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Not played with that one but most in past I've had were a little thick. if it's about the viscosity of 3n1, it should be fine. you can let it sit for a few days before lubing it, but I wouldn't let it sit forever.